Premium Member

[Business] 5 Confessions Of A Comcast Customer Service Rep

»consumerist.com/consumer ··· 4368.php
FYI more info from the Consumerist
reelbigfish
join:2002-06-06
Boston, MA

reelbigfish

This stuff happens with every large company. They are trying to do too much with too few resources. I know as I live this every day. Either people don't care about their jobs, or they don't have time to care. I have found as long as you are nice and be persistent, you come out with better results than getting mad. Swearing will just get you hung up on.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to mdmaddox

Premium Member

to mdmaddox
I think it's a good write up. Pretty much what it is trying to say is:

Don't bitch to the CSR you are speaking to about problems that are out of their control. Don't expect the CSR to be able to change procedures on a dime, or even change them because YOU think they should be.

Don't get mad at the CSR, they are working on limited tools in a limited work environment. If you have problem with the way Comcast conducts business, let the CSR handle it until you can get a supervisor. Afterwards, write a letter to Comcast.

Overtkill
Premium Member
join:2005-09-21
Tooele, UT

Overtkill to mdmaddox

Premium Member

to mdmaddox
The last additional comment is so true, but with one exception. I have been rerouted to the Canadian call centers and had a very pleasant experience there. After telling many (more than 4) other call center reps throughout the U.S. - that all I needed was a reprovision for my cable modem to complete a service upgrade, it was the Canadian office that jumped right on the issue, and treated me as someone who knew what he was talking about.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec to mdmaddox

Premium Member

to mdmaddox
Always have to remember you are talking to a human on the other side with somewhat limited resources. Kindness can go a long way, even if you are just speaking for 5-10 minutes.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

if any truth is in it. its a outsourced call center. in this part dispatch is located in the room next to the csrs. csrs actually often call dispatch here and in fact those calls are priority over tech to dispatch calls.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to mdmaddox

Premium Member

to mdmaddox
Looks to me like someone needs a new job

Hob

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by hobgoblin:

Looks to me like someone needs a new job
Yep.

Still, the "uncaring machine" metaphor strikes a warning bell with me. It reminds me of "First USA," a credit card company that, at one time, marketed its way to #1 in the industry. Their CSRs told similar stories for about a year before FUSA took a huge fall.

First USA saw customers as targets, and they abused them. I don't see that happening with Comcast -- and my support experiences have nearly always been pleasant.

Still, if the trend is going in a downward direction, it's a trend that should be stopped.

TDNickell
Premium Member
join:2006-09-26
Federal Way, WA

TDNickell to mdmaddox

Premium Member

to mdmaddox
I guess i have just been lucky over the years.
I have only had to call one time with a problem,and i ask for a line tech at the time,because that's what i thought i needed.
The line tech showed up and not only checked things from the node and tap,he came in the house to check everything else.
I know that wasn't part of their job and he told me that they try and go the extra mile to help the customer.
It turned out to be bad firmware on the old SB5120 modem.
I turned in the modem and got the SB5100 from BestBuy.
No problems since.

Madcap
Baby's on Fire
Premium Member
join:2004-06-26
Fpo, AP

Madcap to mdmaddox

Premium Member

to mdmaddox
Glad I never had a horrible time with Comcast. I've never really had to talk to them much past getting it set up. The problem with transfering our services was even fixed fast, with a supervisor who called us to check how things were going.

I do follow the Golden Rule of Call Centers and speak politely with the CSRs because I know they have limits.

If you wanna hear a funny story. The first time a Comcast Tech came to my house to install the cable modem he was looking for IE. I've removed the Shortcut on the Desktop and Start Menu. Instead of using Run -> iexplore.exe he did a file search for iexplore on my computer. Meanwhile I was dying trying to suppress laughter not only from his lack of knowledge but also his discomfort working around my hentai wallpaper on both computers.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to mdmaddox

Premium Member

to mdmaddox
You could change a few words, and that could be describing a lot of companies.

And yes, it is Bullshit.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

2 edits

NormanS to Madcap

MVM

to Madcap
said by Madcap:

...but also his discomfort working around my hentai wallpaper on both computers.
I suspect that the '' images could be construed as a "hostile workplace environment" by the tech, and used as grounds to leave the premises without working on your equipment. And leaving you with no recourse for complaint. Not that I would be bothered by it; but I have been accused of having a ''; based on my cute girl art collection.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to mdmaddox

to mdmaddox
Typical for a company that cares more about its bottom line than keeping customers.

Why lie to customers? You will only get caught in the end.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

2 recommendations

CableTool to mdmaddox

Premium Member

to mdmaddox
quote:
So if anyone was wondering why they can't just request a supervisor...then there is your reason. I actually think this is horrible and deplorable. If a customer wants to speak to a supervisor then they should do so...but only having one supervisor maybe a problem as well.
It is set up this way because a customer service rep takes anywhere from 70-150 calls a day. If every customer that asked to speak to a sup was transferred right over to a sup the sup would no longer be able to do their job. Also most anything a sup could do, the rep could do as well.
This is the same reason why when my tech shows me a workorder that says "SUP MUST GO WITH TECH" I tell him to key me up when he gets their or if he cannot fix it. I can take those jobs from my techs each day and create a route for myself. But them Im not doing my job.
And 99% of the time my techs can fix it without issue.
quote:
Thanks to the bureaucratic way Comcast works, your CAE that you are screaming at must send an email to dispatch and wait for dispatch to send a reply, which can take about a minute to nearly thirty minutes.
This process is in place because of the 300 customer service reps had direct contact to the techs in the field the TECHS would not be able to get through a day without being on the phne for half of it.
They enter ETA's with their phone that Dispatch can see. In most areas this triggers an autodialer that alerts the customer as to the ETA sutomatically.
Other areas have a same day team. If you call Comcast on the day of any type of scheduled appointment your call gets routed via your phone number to the same day team. This team is usually IN DISPATCH. So that way any questions you have can be answered immediately.
quote:
They consider that if you don't pick up your phone...even if they never called you...you are not home verified. That means the tech does not have to go to your house because your appointment was canceled.
Studies have been done as to the amount of "NOT HOMES" a tech needlessly rolls to. A lot of areas will try to verify you are home before the tech arrives ( again, triggered by the ETA and AutoDIaler most times)
Dispatch has nothing to gain by "not calling" In most if not all cases they call feverishly and let it ring an insane amount of time because they assume the tech is pulling a fast one. They also hate no accessing jobs because every no accessed job and message left is a chance for an escalation for a "go back"
quote:
I cannot say if a problem like this plagues other cable companies but beware of their phone service. Not that it's a bad product mind you but there are some caveats that will not be explained to you, until its too late. First thing you must ask yourself...does Comcast in my area suffer from lots of outages.? If your area does, then stay clear of it. When there's a cable outage, you will not have a phone.
No shit?
quote:
I don't want to say much else but just know there's a very important thing I want to impart to the readers is that a business is only around to make money and charge you for the services they contain. When a business gets large enough it turns into a machine and the only thing that makes it seem human is the people they hire.
Pretty much true for all companies. Except when I go to a customers house or talk to them on the phone I am not a machine. I am there to listen and resolve whatever issue they have.
CableTool

1 recommendation

CableTool

Premium Member

In reading this again as well its kind of funny. I would NEVER want a job in Customer Service.
All the gripes this leaker has however are related to things that make their job challenging.

When a customer gets upset and irate who wouldnt love to just hit "TRANSFER" and get rid of them to their sup? But your job is to find out the issue and resolve it. Not pass off an upset customer. And as one of the replys on the consumerist state, sometimes requests are impossible and the caller asks for a sup thinking they can make anything under the sun happen.

Even in my role, a sub with a tricky phone issue requests a sup. I have a tech that works phone all day everyday and has seen more then I have due to that. I have another tech that came from SBC. Ill send the right tech to the job, but my phone knowledge is learned and hardly practiced. I can show up... but Ill be fumbeling through the issue. Or "sub cant get VOD, demands supervisor" thats a common and easily resolved issue. I can send pretty much any tech to resolve that. I usually spend my time rolling to chronic or corporate issues or refferals from my techs.

When a customer needs an ETA there is a process involved. This process includes contacting dispatch to get that info and then calling the customer back. Its generally easier to bullhist the sub as Ive heard from another leaker from AT&T or some other company. So, again, this process upsets the leaker because its a challenge of thier job. I agree with others.. get a new job.

Even most of the comments in this thread and on the Consumerist state the same.

prestonlewis
Premium Member
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA

prestonlewis to mdmaddox

Premium Member

to mdmaddox
From my experience, the Canadian Comcast call centers do seem to provide better service, more knowledgeable information, and quicker on-line service (for HSI) than US call centers. Winnipeg especially is tops on my list with the Texas call center being the worst most uninformed call center I've ever dealt with.

TDNickell
Premium Member
join:2006-09-26
Federal Way, WA

TDNickell to mdmaddox

Premium Member

to mdmaddox
I have had very good luck with our local call centers here in Washington state,but most of my call lately have been on the CATV side.

BOGBS
Premium Member
join:2004-05-11

2 edits

BOGBS to CableTool

Premium Member

to CableTool
said by CableTool:

quote:
Thanks to the bureaucratic way Comcast works, your CAE that you are screaming at must send an email to dispatch and wait for dispatch to send a reply, which can take about a minute to nearly thirty minutes.

This process is in place because of the 300 customer service reps had direct contact to the techs in the field the TECHS would not be able to get through a day without being on the phne for half of it.
I know how not having dispatch is, personally. And what you say is quite true. I probably spend at least 25-50% of my day on the damn cell phone, depending on the week. It's frustrating to have people call all the time, especially if you're in the middle of working on a job.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to CableTool

to CableTool
said by CableTool:

When a customer gets upset and irate who wouldnt love to just hit "TRANSFER" and get rid of them to their sup? But your job is to find out the issue and resolve it. Not pass off an upset customer. And as one of the replys on the consumerist state, sometimes requests are impossible and the caller asks for a sup thinking they can make anything under the sun happen.
That's kind of hard since reps are not given the tools to make the customer happy.

Again, how is the CSR supposed to make a customer happy because a tech did not call or show up? You and I had this conversation before about how techs and CSRs do not talk to one another and both sides blame each other. Doesn't help the customer, does it?

CableTool
Premium Member

1 recommendation

CableTool

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:
said by CableTool:

That's kind of hard since reps are not given the tools to make the customer happy.

Again, how is the CSR supposed to make a customer happy because a tech did not call or show up?
Credit the customer in an attempt to compensate them for thier time. Send an email to the local tech ops group of have their sup locate the techs direct supervisor for performance management and documentation and r/s the sub or contact the local dispatch to see if earlier or same day arrangments can be made.
There is a process in place for most any instance. Those are the tools available.
There is no making a customer happy when they are disatisfied with their service. There is only trying to repair the damage done and trying to rebuild the trust.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

O.k., fine, credit the customer but at what point does a CSR get written up for giving out too much credit. It can't be limitless.

AND, it still doesn't fix the overall internal problem.

CableTool
Premium Member

CableTool

Premium Member

This is getting boring but what is the internal problem and what is the fix?
The tech didnt show up? Locate him and fire him. Replace him with another tech. Im not sure what you want to hear.

I think everyone thinks techs just decide one day they arent going to do anything. They blow off jobs the dont fix things or do half ass installs and then the next day are handed another route.

Do you think No Shows are that rampant or that there is only one CSR that is taking those calls that is giving out the credits?

I recieve an email my tech didnt show up, I write him up. I get another one I continue with the process. I recieve another and he looks for a new job.

Of course there could also be legitimate issues. Tech couldnt make it, dispatch said they would reassing and didnt. Maybe they did but the tech they gave it to never checked his phone to get the info. Maybe someone in customer service rescheduled the job previously and never removed the original tech number so it would go to the pool to be routed and on the schedule day it stays routed to the original tech who most likley isnt working that day.
There are hundreds of one offs that could have happened. They generally do not. In fact its rare as hell.

But Id be interested to know exactly what you are getting at. What is the end all be all fix? What is the overall internal problem and the fix that can provide for each and every instance so they can be avoided completely 100%?

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to mdmaddox

to mdmaddox
the fix is for the customer to be home between the hours they are supposed to be, not at the store, at their relatives...if youre not there...TOO BAD!!!

CableTool
Premium Member

CableTool

Premium Member

said by gar187er:

the fix is for the customer to be home between the hours they are supposed to be, not at the store, at their relatives...if youre not there...TOO BAD!!!
And then there is THAT instance.. which NEVER HAPPENS! ( but is the most common)
Tech at home, door open, can hear a tv or a radio. Rings the bell, calls on the phone, can hear the phone ringing. Nothing.
Calls dispatch, they call leave a message, tech gives description and goes to his next job. Three hours later they get call to go back. Customer is FURIOUS they were blown off.

Ive been to a house like that where I actually stayed and did all the outside maintenance thinking they will eventually see my truck in the driveway and come out. 20 mins later, putting ladders back up, still nothing. Dispatch calls at the end of my day asking me to go back. Im not doing the job twice.
bowlingjet
join:2006-05-25
Baltimore, MD

3 edits

bowlingjet

I have to agree with Cable Tool. I have taken many calls when I was still taking inbound calls where either the person called for an ETA 2-3 hours after their appointment or when they didn't answer the phone. I know for a fact that all CAEs in my call center are coached to emphasize the precall policy when scheduling any service call. With the exception of CDV no dial tone calls, the tech and/or his dispatcher will most likely precall.

The majority of escalations from customer I have taken involved tech no shows. Now I am not saying it is always the fault of the customer. As CableTool said, there a numerous reasons, alot of them can be through no fault of the customer. Anything can happen, the tech could have called out, the job may have to be re-assigned from a default tech to a real tech's route, their van could break down on their way to your house. I have seen all of these reasons and more be the cause of a missed appointment or late tech. Then you add to those reasons the situations where the customer fails to answer the phone or is just not home for the time window.

If someone wants a solution or fix so things like this don't happen, unfortunately there is no fool proof way to do so. The original CAE can schedule the T/C correctly, the job can be routed to the appropriate tech and everything can be ready to go for the date and time specified, but if the tech calls out at the last minute or if there is no adult home when the tech arrives, we'll we stuck in this boat with having to reschedule. The only thing we can do is be as diligent as possible to help minimize cases such as this. This means everyone involved, from the CAE who schedules the T/C to the tech and their dispatcher to finally the customer.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to CableTool

to CableTool
Fiberguy and I got into a discussion about this.

One complaint he had was CSRs were typing in "SIMPLE INSTALL" and when they get to the customer's location, it became a DVR and 3 more outlets. That will hold a tech back. And who talks to the CSR who didn't fill in the order properly?

The case of a Comcast tech sleeping on a customer's couch while waiting for someone to fix a cable modem. Why didn't he get through to someone?

Do the departments work together or screw each other over?

It seems that Comcast overloads their techs and then, when they get backed up, can't deal with the backlog. It might be a simple case of asking the techs to do too much in too little time. But, it becomes a game of how many you want to have on hand vs. is the overtime worth it.

CableTool
Premium Member

CableTool

Premium Member

The techs are asked to gather all the Customer Servuce FUps ( follow ups) and turn them in. Those are in turn inter officed over to the CS manager for coaching. If its extreme enough it will be emailed directly to the manager or the reps sup if it is known.

The tech couldnt get through to someone because at the time CDV EXPLODED while the CDV department was budgeted for X amount of calls per hour and recieved many times that amount. You cant call customers and reschedule all of them for 6 months out while you hire and train staff. You handle the load as best as possible and get through it.

Also there are various tools that techs can use to avoid using the phone. Techs, contractors are known to avoid those tools. Because its easier to have someone do it for you then to punch in numbers and have test calls sent or modems provisioned.
There are also reports generated to catch those techs in regards to the amount of times they use the automated tools. And those that do not are "coached" to. Rolling out across the country in the next few months will be a completely automated CDV/HSI provisioning tool that will eliminate even more phone time.

These are simple basic low level examples. But I have to believe that by now you migt understand a little bit that people arent running around like chickens with their heads cut off not knowing what one another is doing.

A perfect example of misunderstandings on how things work is when I arrive to a home that a tech has been to before and the subscriber says to me
"Did the girl on the phone tell you whats going on over here?"

Its the perception that there is one or two people taking calls and one or two techs who work in a two block radius.

So with 300 reps taking calls 20 miles away and over 100 techs rolling out of each office you had better believe there are MANY checks and balances put in place. There are more performance metrics in place a tech has to meet DAILY then he can usually think about while working. All meant to ensure the customer is getting the best service possible.
Of course, we are all at the mercy of a strangers work ethic

And that doesnt change no matter what field you are in.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Wise post.

Also unfortunately CSR's have the idea that everything is broken as they only talk to the customers who are calling in with issues. They don't talk to the customers that are happy and those whose techs turned up on time.

Hob
Phugg
join:2004-09-30
Riverbank, CA

2 recommendations

Phugg to CableTool

to CableTool
I have been at SO many of the "not homes" over the past 10 years. Some are very comical , some are serious , some are valid and some are not. In the end WE are all humans and at fault. I'm sure every last person that reads a thread , posts advice (valid or not) has been in a similar situation. Even if its a DR's apt ... yes they run behind and ahead of schedule too.
A few in particular that pop in my little brain. Pull up park , make lots of noise (good habit for techs) knock on door , ring doorbell , hear dog barking at me (like I am lunch). Call , no answer, while leaving make mental note of vehicles in driveway, only 1 and its a late 80's early 90's Honda 4 door. Get called back 3 hours later , notes say " Sub states they where home from hour prior to window until 1 hour after window" . Note 1-5 appointment ... its 6pm now. I roll back , its a cool evening , upon arrival POOF a New T-Bird in driveway. I feel the hood , Gee its warm. Yeah You where here all afternoon ...

Another (like Tool described) Front door wide open , music on , yet not blasting. I knock very loudly , ring bell multiple times, call (hear the machine pick up) Door tag and go. I get stopped down the street by oncoming car. Person gets out very hostile. " Did you fix my modem ?" I explain to irrate person ,
A: I have no idea who you are
B: No idea where you live
C: I know nothing about you
Irate person : I live at xyz this street , I left the door open for you and a note saying to come in and fix , I would be home by 1pm (its an 8-10 appointment and its now 9am). The person on the phone said you would come in and run a new cable and swap my modem.
Me : Sir , I can do Nothing without someone being present.
Irate : but I left a note , and that is a legal document.

Too cut it short , this went on for a couple mins , I went back and fixed HIS twist on fittings and 10yr old split , No need for a new line or modem swap.

Now all the people that BASH us techs for being Lazy , slackers , dont know our jobs etc .. Put yourself in OUR damn shoes for a day. We are in hostile enviroments on a daily basis and still perform our job as best we can with what is provided. I work more than anyone on my team and am damn proud of it. I also put out a much better quality. Some of us are Damn good at what we do. I See a lot that you dont. A Node isnt able to be saturated , etc etc (btw its a return laser card that gets saturated).
I dont go trolling whatever business You are in and bash on your people. I come here to try help some , maybe occaisionaly meet a great tech or supervisor. I normally get pleasure helping others with issues. I may be a minority in some aspects of the current business world , you know why ? Because I give a shit about my job, I enjoy my job. I actually expect to EARN my pay, I dont feel that because I show up I am entitled to it.

Thats it , rant off . I hope y'all have a great weekend , time for a Capt and Coke.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to mdmaddox

MVM

to mdmaddox
People regularly leave their homes with their door ajar hoping that you'll enter and fix their problem? Am I understanding that?