Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

Makes no sense

Why would they compete with themselves and their U-Verse product? It seems that satellite would cannibalize sales of this service.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Please not this......
--
Eat a BLT for Iran

fldiver
Premium
join:1999-12-27
Jacksonville, FL
If they would not let DTV and Echostar merge why on EARTH would the govt sanction this abysmal idea. I am so glad I stayed with Directv; I despise AT&T with every breath in my body..

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
said by fldiver:

If they would not let DTV and Echostar merge why on EARTH would the govt sanction this abysmal idea. I am so glad I stayed with Directv; I despise AT&T with every breath in my body..
You can guess that even though there is no 'official' deal on the table, good ole' FCC Chairman Kevin Martin already has his finger on the YES button
--
We're Gonna Need A Bigger Boat !!

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42
I would be almost positive it would get approval in this "environment". Lower TV Prices for sure this time!

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
said by Karl Bode:

Lower TV Prices for sure this time!
LOL

We promise!

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Jim Gurd
U-Verse is probably turning out to not be as "easy" as they thought.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to fldiver
The gov't wouldn't allow the only (2) DBS providers to merge into one because there'd be only (1) option available to consumers. If AT&T buys Echostar or Dish, there will still be (2).

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jim Gurd
said by Jim Gurd:

Why would they compete with themselves and their U-Verse product? It seems that satellite would cannibalize sales of this service.
They would probably focus development and sales of uverse in urban areas and echostar sales in more sub-urban settings. It will be a decade or more before ATT brings their entire territory up to speed.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
reply to Karl Bode
and I've been seeing pigs fly lately.

The only way that you will ever see 'lower TV prices' is in a bulk per channel cost. (i.e. 1000 channels for $80) vs. 13 channels for #13, similar to Comcast Rick's cost method of HSI. I'd like to see a lower bottom like cost.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Jim Gurd
said by Jim Gurd:

No, this would be a good move for them as then they would just sell some kind of crappy satellite type internet and satellite tv to the rural areas and not have to spend the bucks to deply U-Verse.
--
FWD#: 223611

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ
reply to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

I would be almost positive it would get approval in this "environment". Lower TV Prices for sure this time!

Lower prices? Comeon, you have SO much higher quality programming than what used to be available. It's an *awesome* deal. :P

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Jim Gurd
Dish Network = TV and HDTV coverage in rural America NOW

U-Verse and IPTV = Coverage in Rural America.... When.... 10 years... 20 years... Never?

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to fldiver
said by fldiver:

Echostar and DTV merge = Bigger competition to Telco and Cable Company plans.... BLOCKED!

Echostar bought by AT&T = Consolidation of media by Telco, of Part of Company plans..... APPROVED!

The FCC lately has been all about Big Business agenda and allowing mergers *except* when it threatens the interests of the Telcos and Cable companies...
--
"Regulatory capitalism is when companies invest in lawyers, lobbyists, and politicians, instead of plant, people, and customer service." - former FCC Chairman William Kennard (A real FCC Chairman, unlike the current Corporate Spokesperson in the job!)

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to Hall
Duh...
Why does there have to be 2 DBS providers. They're TV content providers. There would still be 2 in most markets. This just stacks the cards against DirecTV and saves AT&T tons in so many different ways. Maybe DirecTV could be bought by Verizon then for a similiar benefit? Geesh...

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to KrK
said by KrK:

said by fldiver:

Echostar and DTV merge = Bigger competition to Telco and Cable Company plans.... BLOCKED!

Echostar bought by AT&T = Consolidation of media by Telco, of Part of Company plans..... APPROVED!

The FCC lately has been all about Big Business agenda and allowing mergers *except* when it threatens the interests of the Telcos and Cable companies...
Also except when it benefits the consumer and rips control away from the large groups. IE XM/Sirius and NAB.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

Point taken.

If a merger would actually create a bigger competitor to existing large companies, it's blocked.

If it's a buyout or merger by said existing large interests, it's approved.

IE if it promotes competition and consumer choice it's usually shot down.
--
"Regulatory capitalism is when companies invest in lawyers, lobbyists, and politicians, instead of plant, people, and customer service." - former FCC Chairman William Kennard (A real FCC Chairman, unlike the current Corporate Spokesperson in the job!)

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Exactly , I have no idea what these folks up on the hill are thinking. These types of mergers are just being approved in record times.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

SunnyFL
Premium
join:2001-02-08
reply to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

Yep, I think you got the situation pegged.

Lower prices $10.00 a month for 200 channels of AT&T TV and $60.00 for the FCC (Martin) Authorized Charge for NETWORK Access.

In other words $70.00 cable bill.

But the cable is only $10.00 a month wow that's a good deal till you get the bill.

Thanks MR. MARTIN wiping hands of GREEN $$$$ ink.

opps did I say that? It's funny because he doesn't hide is Bias with the telco's or deny his prejudice towards Big Cable Industry.

Like Mr. Bush he doesn't worry about public opinion he just does what the thinks is right or does what they tell him to do. hah

SunnyFL
Premium
join:2001-02-08
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

The gov't wouldn't allow the only (2) DBS providers to merge into one because there'd be only (1) option available to consumers. If AT&T buys Echostar or Dish, there will still be (2).

Your right 2 options.. Hmm, Bad or worse.

You have a choice it's america. Bad Old beef or Dog Meat.

Very tasty offer since you put it that way. OOO I can't wait.

Link8

join:2001-12-16
Davis, CA

3 edits
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

Yep, AT&T Satellite, vs AT&T U-Verse, and soon enough I'm sure AT&T cable too!

Got a problem with that? Why not watch some TV on your AT&T wireless phone?!

AT&T should be kicked in the balls and forced to sell their wireless branch off so that they can only monopolize one industry.

WTF for do they need echostar?! Is this admission that their U-Verse plan is a failure?! LMAO!

I have Dish Network right now, and I'm waiting for the U-Verse service here to go active so I can (temporarily) try them out. It's a few bucks less and offers a bit more..

I don't know .. if AT&T bought echostar . oh man That'd suck.

GeekBigboy

join:2007-07-21
Moreno Valley, CA
reply to KrK
I had dsl and phone with ATT for years but because I moved into the desert ATT doesn't care about my DSL which made try dslextreme but either this will make smaller companies come out and work or the same old att which is usally well you don't service sorry we fix that in 10 20 years BS

attsux0rs

@charter.com
reply to KrK
said by KrK:

directv/dish was rejected because it would've created a monopoly in the satellite television business; not to "protect" telcos and cable companies. a single satellite provider would've resulted in LESS (not more) competition and higher prices.

a dish/att merger would do the same; less competition, higher prices; and the end to distribution/resale deals dish currently has with telcos other than att. but since the government seems to allow att to do what it wants; don't be surprised to see this pushed through before the current administration ends.

in addition, an att buyout of a dish-owned sling media means the death of slingbox (in the odd chance that the slingbox survives the inevitable lawsuits upon dish ownership); except perhaps as a subscription service to att's own customers only, with rates and limits on what can be "slung" set by the broadcasters/networks.