All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

pintnight
join:2002-05-19
Bedford, TX

pintnight

ATT is installing U-Verse in my neighorhood!

I got a big 4 foot hole in my backyard. I'm not sure why they are digging all of the holes since I thought the copper wiring is the same? So, what are they doing with the copper wires?

arealdsltech
Premium Member
join:2007-02-27
Oklahoma City, OK

arealdsltech

Premium Member

Are you sure it is for telephone lines? Could be another utility doing work also. A picture would be helpful.

pintnight
Bedford, TX

pintnight

said by arealdsltech:

Are you sure it is for telephone lines? Could be another utility doing work also. A picture would be helpful.
How would I know that? There's a big hole, 4 feet deep with the telephone lines exposed. I have the phone box thing in my backyard. I'm curious to know what exactly they need to do to the telephone lines for U-verse.
carpdiem7
join:2001-02-11
Cedarburg, WI

carpdiem7

I doubt the work they are doing is for U-verse. There's probably been a lot of troubles reported with customers working on the cable that runs through your back yard. They're likely just taking steps to correct the problem before replacing the cable all together.

pintnight
Bedford, TX

1 edit

pintnight

It IS for U-Verse. The contractors told me what they are doing (since I asked them why they need access), installing U-Verse in the neighbourhood. He also told me that the houses in my area will have U-Verse available in about a month after they are doing working.

So, again, it IS for U-Verse. So, I guess nobody knows why all of the copper wiring need to be accessed to enable the U-Verse?

koolkid1563
MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

koolkid1563

MVM

Do you have a crossconnect in your backyard, or just a pedestal?

pintnight
Bedford, TX

pintnight

Here's the picture:

»i104.photobucket.com/alb ··· 0392.jpg
psx_defector
join:2001-06-09
Allen, TX

psx_defector to pintnight

to pintnight
said by pintnight:

It IS for U-Verse. The contractors told me what they are doing (since I asked them why they need access), installing U-Verse in the neighbourhood.
Ummmm, hate to break it to you, but most of AT&T's contractors don't know a cross connect from a bridge tap. Although they do know how to dig a good looking hole.

Unless that truck says AT&T, don't believe what they say.

pintnight
Bedford, TX

2 edits

pintnight

said by psx_defector:

said by pintnight:

It IS for U-Verse. The contractors told me what they are doing (since I asked them why they need access), installing U-Verse in the neighbourhood.
Ummmm, hate to break it to you, but most of AT&T's contractors don't know a cross connect from a bridge tap. Although they do know how to dig a good looking hole.

Unless that truck says AT&T, don't believe what they say.
It's AT&T that told me (he work for AT&T). The guy handed me a AT&T U-Verse pamphlet.

I don't know how much more I can convince you. If you don't like my answer to what the guy said to me, you can ignore this post and let somebody else respond to what the work is being done to the phone lines for U-verse.

arealdsltech
Premium Member
join:2007-02-27
Oklahoma City, OK

arealdsltech

Premium Member

That hole is exposing a 3 way telephone cable splice, looks like it could be a 100 pair to 2 50 pair cables. If this splice is wet or contains a 3way splice (also known as a bridge tap) then it has to be redone to support Uverse to the customers that it serves.
psx_defector
Allen, TX

psx_defector to pintnight

to pintnight
Did it or did it not say on the truck AT&T? Never, NEVER believe anything a contractor tells you, especially about Lightspeed deployment. Hell, don't believe what a lot of the field techs tell you either. I had it on MUCH better authority, think pretty high and deep in the organization, that everything would be lit up here in Allen. Still no Lightspeed.

That pit can be for about 10000 different things. areadsltech is right on what it is. They could be fixing that bundle. They could be putting in a new cross connect box. Or they could be popping in a new VRAD. Lots of things, but not necessarily Lightspeed.

I'm trying to eliminate the whole "AT&T sucks, they said they would be here at this time and they didn't" line of reviews that inevitably come about from stuff like this. Certainly beats trying to eliminate the "AT&T sucks, they are not being competitive, they need to deploy 10000 Gbps up and down to get my business" reviews.

Take a healthy dose of skepticism and wait for the results of a pre-qual test. Keep putting on that topical cream, and for God's sake, don't touch it! Don't forget to give your insurance card to the billing people.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to pintnight

Premium Member

to pintnight
I believe you pintnight See Profile. It is for U-verse because the same hole was dug up in my front yard. It was about the same dimensions. Lo and behold, about a week later, I get a mailer that U-verse is available in my area (even though I already checked AT&T's website). When I heard Sacramento was getting U-verse around late August, I checked AT&T's U-verse website and was told I wasn't available in my area. After the hole was dug up then refilled, I checked and found I qualified.

pintnight
Bedford, TX

pintnight to psx_defector

to psx_defector
Why would AT&T give me a U-verse pamphlet? Strange as it may be, but the work is being done for U-verse. The AT&T guy told me that they should have my neighbourhood enabled for u-verse in about a month.
psx_defector
Allen, TX

psx_defector

As Journey says, "Don't stop believin'"

DFW Lightspeed deployment is moving slow. Considering they fired the entire core of premise installers and hired new ones, bad plant issues, and various other things. The HEB area is closer to what the deployment schedule looks like. They also have the garage off 820 and 183 servicing the area.

Don't expect it to happen until your house passes prequal and you are watching TV. A month from pedestal without poured concrete to service is WAYYYYYY over optimistic. There is considerable work to be done to get that fired up. It's not just a matter of dropping it in.
Mortifer29
join:2003-01-25
Saint Louis, MO

Mortifer29 to pintnight

to pintnight
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me 1 week ago. It was for U-Verse. The Diggers as well as the AT&T techs that came out confirmed this. LOTS of Fiber going up around me. Too bad the DSL is limited to 6Mbps and only one HD Stream at a time...

fiber_man
Things Happen For A Reason
Premium Member
join:2001-01-27
Port Saint Lucie, FL

fiber_man to pintnight

Premium Member

to pintnight
The pit was dug to expose the splice and remove half-tap(bridge-tap) off of the pairs going to the individual homes from that splice. Most splices done in the past were done this way to make it easier to change pairs if you had a problem on the line. Now we have to have dedicated pairs to each home from the X-box/vrad.

pintnight
Bedford, TX

1 edit

pintnight

Pssst, don't let psx_defector know what's going on. *sheesh*

So, now it seems that we have a quite a understanding to what's going on. That make sense to what's going on around my neighbourhood with all the holes dug up to install u-verse (hate to burst you bubble psx_defector, but that is what exactly going on since I found a lot more activity to upgrade RT to handle U-verse).

So, next time, stop trying to smack people down with your ulterior motive of what might going on around and my knowledge from the very people from the industry (ATT that ACTUALLY gave me the U-Verse information) that they are upgrading my neighbourhood. *sigh*
psx_defector
Allen, TX

psx_defector

Really huh? Again, don't stop belivin'. Just because you think that's true, completely ignoring any possible dissension about it, until you get prequalified and it's installed, it's all conjecture.

First, you claim it was contractors telling you this. That is blatantly wrong. Contractors do not know the deployment schedule, and rarely know their ass from a hole in the ground. And internal AT&T promotional flyers are not given to any contractors.

Second, you claim then AT&T was telling you this. Don't know many trucks that carry any product literature, unless it was a manager. Not too far off realm, but if my MANY years in the company have taught me, field personnel rarely ever bothers with promo material. Hence why you won't see many CWA people out at the AT&T booth at the state fair.

So, unless you are an insider to the company, which by the looks of things you are NOT, don't go around claiming things are going to be installed until the prequal is done and things are installed. I currently am not an employee, and my info is about 6 months off, so take it what you will.

Just don't come back in here in a month, claiming AT&T sucks because they can't install, basing it off this one brief moment of a small conversation with a single person in the field outside of everything.

pintnight
Bedford, TX

pintnight

Sigh, I give up. Just please ignore this since you are of no help with my questions.

I r a Inganear

Anon

Don't stress. They are conditioning your distribution cable. You either had bridge-tap spliced in your back yard, or they found trouble in the cable at that location. Either way, you are most likely correct that they'll be rolling out U-verse in your area soon.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to pintnight

Premium Member

to pintnight
One way to find out, like I did, was going to the U-verse website. One day I don't qualify, the next day I do.

pintnight
Bedford, TX

2 edits

pintnight

AT&T been working in my backyard for 3 days.

»i104.photobucket.com/alb ··· 0396.jpg
»i104.photobucket.com/alb ··· 0400.jpg

The hole before the rain turned into it a mud bathtub.

»i104.photobucket.com/alb ··· 0392.jpg

The hole is now a muddy bathtub. That hole was full of water. Now I need to make sure that AT&T recovers my pavestone brick that fell into the hole.
chargrove
join:2007-12-18
Keller, TX

1 edit

chargrove to pintnight

to pintnight
Pintnight:

I hear you. I live in Keller and I came home yesterday to find a GIANT hole in my front yard with a head sticking out of the top wearing NO uniform, NO badge, NO identification whatsoever. There was NO truck parked in front of my house at the time. A little later, I saw a truck parked in front of another house that was having a hole dug and it was not an AT&T truck.

Furthermore, they had NOT called Atmos to come and flag the gas line locations. IDIOTS!!!! What if this guy with a shovel pops a high pressure gas line? I phoned Atmos and they had someone at my house in less than two hours (this was 11:45 at night) to check it out and they COULD NOT believe anyone would do this without properly notifying them or DIGTES. Amazing.

I had received a similar note on my door but it said NOTHING about digging a GIANT CRATER in my front yard and moving my Christmas decorations. All it said was that they would be in the neighborhood and to make sure your dog is inside. Okay, this is also stupid...who wants to put their dog inside every day for two weeks? They aren't even digging in the back yard! Heck, no...right in front of my dang front door for crying out loud.

Also, the whole is NOT NEAR the AT&T box thingy in the corner of the yard...?

I am not happy.

Chris H.
Keller, TX