spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jcricket

join:2002-08-30
Seattle, WA

Getting PPP username/PW before official turnon date

I switched my DSL from Speakeasy to Qwest recently. My official turn-on date is 10/3, but looking at my DSL modem, I can tell me circuit's already "on" because the green light is solid and I can see a much higher speed connection (was at 1.5 with Speakeasy, am getting 5.5? with Qwest) when I look at the stats (see below). Is there any way to get my PPP username/password (or a generic one) before the 3rd so I can start using my connection?

Also, what's the difference between "local" and "remote" when it comes to SNR and attenuat ion? Here are the stats I'm seeing (from my Zoom X5 modem)

Downstream Speed 5728 Kbps
Upstream Speed 896 Kbps

Local Remote
SNR Margin 10.0 dB 13.0 dB
Line Attenuation 38.5 dB 23.0 dB
Transmit Power 1.23 dB 1.91 dB

I think the stats are ok (judging by what it says in the FAQ) but I'm not entirely sure.

wingman99

join:2003-12-18
Opelika, AL
said by jcricket:

Also, what's the difference between "local" and "remote" when it comes to SNR and attenuat ion?
local is the modem transmission from your DSLAM to you. Remote is modem cell transmission to the DSLAM.

Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM)

your stats look great.

dynodb
Premium,VIP
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
reply to jcricket
Probably not. Even if you're able to train, you wouldn't be able to authenticate and surf if the cross-connects weren't built in the DSLAM yet.

Given the odd train rate you're at, I'd suspect it's training at a default rate instead of the one it's supposed to be provisioned for. All it takes to train is a physical connection to the DSLAM, but that doesn't mean the necessary configuration is there.

viperlmw
Premium
join:2005-01-25
reply to jcricket
Go here: »altpath.qwest.com/

Your phone number is the quick connect number, and you order number minus the letter is the quick connect code (these may be reversed).

jcricket

Seattle, WA
You were right the first time about the numbers, but the previous poster was also right. I get an error saying "your broadband service will be available after the installation date". Oh well, was worth a shot. I'm borrowing a neighbor's connection via wireless right now (with permission), but it's hit or miss.

On a related note, I'm provisioned for (up to) 7 and last time I checked with a Covad tech while I was on Speakeasy I was 9600 ft from the CO. So hopefully I can at least get 5 once I'm actually connected.

My old stats (when I was on a 1.5/384 connection) were "better" (see below). Is that becau se of the lower speed I was on?

Local Remote
SNR Margin 29.5 dB 23.0 dB
Attenuation 38.0 dB 24.5 dB
Transmit Power 1.17 dB 1.71 dB

wingman99

Opelika, AL
said by jcricket:

So hopefully I can at least get 5 once I'm actually connected.
You are connected modem to modem or ADSL Transceiver Unit) A device that provides ADSL modulation of the telephone line. The device at the telco side is the ATU-C (Central), which is a line card plugged into the DSLAM. The unit at the customer's side is the ATU-R (Remote), which is either an external modem or a card plugged into. The speed you see is what you are going to get.

you probably already have link to the PPPo-ATM just call tech and ask what your link name and password is that's what i do for people all the time it works.

jcricket

Seattle, WA

1 edit
So I got my username and PW and mucked with the settings of my modem (had to reboot to default configuration and setup again to get it to work).

All appears good now, although I'm still trained at the "odd speed" (the phone tech notice d it too). He seemed to believe that on my actual activation date I'd train at the full sp eed (although wingman seems to doubt that).

Downstream Speed 5824 Kbps
Upstream Speed 896 Kbps

Local Remote
Line Attenuation 39.5 dB 23.0 dB
Transmit Power 1.23 dB 1.92 dB

Speedtest had me at 4774 for down and 758 for up. At least 3x as fast as I was before, although here's hoping for more :-)

wingman99

Opelika, AL
said by jcricket:

So I got my username and PW and mucked with the settings of my modem (had to reboot to default configuration and setup again to get it to work).

All appears good now, although I'm still trained at the "odd speed" (the phone tech notice d it too). He seemed to believe that on my actual activation date I'd train at the full s p eed (although wingman seems to doubt that).

Downstream Speed 5824 Kbps
Upstream Speed 896 Kbps

Local Remote
Line Attenuation 39.5 dB 23.0 dB
Transmit Power 1.23 dB 1.92 dB

Speedtest had me at 4774 for down and 758 for up. At least 3x as fast as I was before, although here's hoping for more :-)
That really is not a weird speed to me because your SNR 10.0 db that's the best it will do stable because of your distance. also you where provisioned at 1.5 before and Qwest already moved your speed up, it's dead giveaway lol. glade to here the tech was nice and your connected.

jcricket

Seattle, WA
Really depends which speedtest I use. I'm getting results anywhere from 3 to 4.5 mb/s down and 500-758 up.

Still 2-3x as fast as what I had before, so that's good. And I'm paying $5/month less, so I suppose I can't complain.

Maybe someday we'll have a non-cable option that's faster than 5-7 mbps in Seattle, but I'm not holding my breath.