spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

d1992

@achoneinternet.net

Modem won't work; tech says invalid Mac address

Recently signed up for Comcast HSI. I bought a Zoom Model 5241 cable modem from Staples. Staples guy says it works great on Comcast, even says so on the box. When I hooked up everything at home, the Comcast installation software said that it couldn't connect to the Internet, so I had to cancel it (modem software already installed). I eventually called Comcast, who said that this is a frequent problem when using modems bought from box chains, told me all he needed was my Mac address off the modem label and he'd have me up and running. Unfortunately, he said my Mac address is invalid and not listed in their system. He advised me to call Zoom, but they've not returned my e-mails or phone call. He scheduled a tech to come to the house in a couple of days, but I was hoping to resolve it before that. Anyone else ever have this problem?

KawiG5
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Nanticoke, PA

I'm not surprised you're having this problem. I can almost guarantee the problem stems from the billing dept. at Comcrap. I have had a similar issue as well totaling 3 times.

You'll never get the issue resolved through tech. support. They are basically clueless. You're going to have to wait for the technician to come to your door. The tech. will hook up a device to your cable line on the outside of your house and discover that the signal had never been turned on from the billing dept. A call will be then made to billing by the tech. and service should then be turned on.

Like I said, this happened to me on 3 different occasions with tech. support stating that the MAC address is invalid when in fact it was due to the lack of an internet signal to the modem. Remember, when you're dealing with morons, you will not get good results instantly. Oh how I miss the days of the former Adelphia HSI.
--
»Team Discovery

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

KawiG5- just stop your mindless bantering....

quote:
You'll never get the issue resolved through tech. support. They are basically clueless. You're going to have to wait for the technician to come to your door. The tech. will hook up a device to your cable line on the outside of your house and discover that the signal had never been turned on from the billing dept. A call will be then made to billing by the tech. and service should then be turned on.
WTF does billing have to do with someone taking a terminator off of the tap?!?!?!

and your a genious compared to CAEs...oh yea...

d1992-do you have TV service through comcast?
if so, odds are you have a duplicate MAC address.....

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to KawiG5

thats just lame man.

KawiG5
Premium
Nanticoke, PA
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

KawiG5- just stop your mindless bantering....

quote:
WTF does billing have to do with someone taking a terminator off of the tap?!?!?!

and your a genious compared to CAEs...oh yea...

d1992-do you have TV service through comcast?
if so, odds are you have a duplicate MAC address.....
Billing has plenty to do with it. I know this for a fact due to having gone through the friggin problem 3 times with Comcrap already. This just isn't a deduction. That is a direct quote from the 3 different service techs. that have come here to fix the problem and it wasn't here where the problem was. So until YOU have your facts straight I recommend you keep it shut until YOU know what you are talking about.
--
»Team Discovery

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE

1 edit
reply to d1992

LMFAO!!!

ok, let me call janice in billing, and have her drive out to his house, and climb her 25' ladder get her terminator tool out, remove the locking terminator, and connect his drop to the 10v tap outside his house....hope she doest forget the port seals so she doesnt fail her QC...also gotta tell her to retag the tag with the proper service level..dont need him getting a repeat t/c for a disco in error (code 22)...cause i dont think bill in rententions would like having to go back up the pole to reconnect this drop.

as i said, odds are its a duplicate MAC address.....

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to d1992

quote:
Unfortunately, he said my Mac address is invalid and not listed in their system.
umm, well of course it's not in their system.. it's a brand new modem. They just need to add it to your account.

or, as stated before, maybe it's a duplicate mac...

Phugg

join:2004-09-30
Riverbank, CA
reply to d1992

Sounds like ComcAST does not have the mac in a database yet. Its not a "call center issue" its a wharehouse issue. When a customer owned modem comes into play , it needs to be put in a local status (as in your local systems database for wharehousing). After that it is No problem to get it pushed through the CMTS. If its late at night , that wont happen. The rep on the phone can send an email to the local wharehouse and they will add it in (IF they are there). Once that is achieved it will go after it is pushed or registered via software.
Oh and KawiG5 ... When you get a NON PAY disconnect , WE DO physically remover your line from the plant.

KawiG5
Premium
Nanticoke, PA
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

LMFAO!!!

ok, let me call janice in billing, and have her drive out to his house, and climb her 25' ladder get her terminator tool out, remove the locking terminator, and connect his drop to the 10v tap outside his house....hope she doest forget the port seals so she doesnt fail her QC...also gotta tell her to retag the tag with the proper service level..dont need him getting a repeat t/c for a disco in error (code 22)...cause i dont think bill in rententions would like having to go back up the pole to reconnect this drop.

as i said, odds are its a duplicate MAC address.....
Well we'll see what the resolve is. I am only stating what appears to be the obvious since I have gone through the same damn thing 3 different times at the same address. Plus, like i stated before, all 3 techs. had to contact billing to get the problem resolved. I did forget to mention that by questioning them, I wasn't the only one to have that problem. All of them had said that it was becoming quite common as well.

When I called tech. support they were clueless to the problem. So they transferred me to billing and they had no clue either. Then I was transferred back to tech. support again. Now after over an hour for one call and still no resolve I just said to send out a tech. I knew that would be the only way since most of the techs. out in my area were employees of the former Adelphia with which I never had any problems with tech. support or billing.

When Adelphia was the provider, I rarely experienced any problems at all during the several years I had it. When a problem did arise, it was fixed with just one call and with speaking to only one person. I cannot say that at all about Comcrap.

So now when a person posts a problem and states something which I have heard a CAE say to me before, I am going to reply with the obvious and that's only if I have encountered it before. When someone has had nothing but a miserable experience like I have had with Comcrap, one can only think the worst especially when you find out that the CAE applicants are given the answers prior to the testing they have to go thru.

BTW...you seem to believe that you are such a genious with this as well. I would like you to explain to all who read these posts on how a duplicate MAC address can be in the system especially since the modem is new out of the box, meaning, never having been used before. Makes no sense at all.
--
»Team Discovery

Phugg

Riverbank, CA

read above Mr Smart ... Gars was NOT the only reply.

KawiG5
Premium
Nanticoke, PA
reply to Phugg

said by Phugg:

Oh and KawiG5 ... When you get a NON PAY disconnect , WE DO physically remover your line from the plant.
NEWS FLASH! It wasn't a NON PAY disconnect. It was, 1st, new service to a new address which had the Adelphia HSI connected once before. There was no terminator in place. Now why would that tech. tell me he had to contact billing to fix it?

Second, billing had screwed up the entire bill severely back in Jan. and when called to get it straightened out the internet was shut off when it wasn't supposed to be in the first place. You call that competence? When I called back to complain once again about another screw up, once again I couldn't connect. A different tech. was sent and once again he had to contact billing to rectify the situation.

Thirdly, back in April I had the service terminated so I could get caught up on other finances. The signal was killed at the source and nobody had come out here to put a terminator in place. When I called to have it turned on again in June, low and behold the same incompetence from Comcrap happened as expected. Another technician was sent out again and once again this one had to contact billing. I was right beside him as he made the call from his cell phone.
--
»Team Discovery

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to KawiG5

i am a genious...wanna know why???

Cause MAC address are based on an IEEE standard, that gives roughly 280 trillion possible address...now you may say, hey thats alot, but those go fast when you take into account the WHOLE WORLDS EQUIPMENT!!! anything ethernet, bluetooth, cell phones, wifi devices, fiber devices, scsi systems..etc....

now the next IEEE standard for MAC address build on this, when IpV6 comes out....so then you should not have duplicate MACs...but for now...IT HAPPENS!!!!

KawiG5
Premium
Nanticoke, PA
reply to Phugg

said by Phugg:

read above Mr Smart ... Gars was NOT the only reply.
DUH! But he was the only one who stated that. The second mentioned it as a possible agreement. Now I know why Comcrap is so incompetent.
--
»Team Discovery

Phugg

Riverbank, CA

Hmmm do I take the bait and get in a war ?? Nah . You Kawi are my hero.

Now on a side note , How was the inhouse service ? I ask this for a reason. I dont want to know about billing or anything. Did the tech that arrived to help your situation actually get it resolved ?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 edit
reply to KawiG5

N.M., N.W.I.

KawiG5
Premium
Nanticoke, PA

1 edit
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

i am a genious...wanna know why???

Cause MAC address are based on an IEEE standard, that gives roughly 280 trillion possible address...now you may say, hey thats alot, but those go fast when you take into account the WHOLE WORLDS EQUIPMENT!!! anything ethernet, bluetooth, cell phones, wifi devices, fiber devices, scsi systems..etc....

now the next IEEE standard for MAC address build on this, when IpV6 comes out....so then you should not have duplicate MACs...but for now...IT HAPPENS!!!!
I know enuff about the high number of address possibilities. Why is it that nobody will just say it's a Comcrap screw up like it usually is?

Let's see here. I have a Linksys BEFCMU10 v3 cable modem which has been used for a few years now. When I go to get service turned on and the CAE states that the MAC address is not in the system and says that they cannot even get a read on the modem and billing claims that everything is all go then a tech. has to call to get it revving, hmmm, where does the lack of competency lie? It surely is not the consumer.
--
»Team Discovery

Phugg

Riverbank, CA

1 edit
reply to EG

EG , you cant spoof a Modems Mac adress , routers , yes , PC's yes , a Modem NO. That is from doing this for 10 years in the field. I think I explained it fairly well above. The Modem needs to be added in a LOCAL status , so that the LOCAL Cmts will allow it to pass.

Same problem happens with modems from another area owned by X company trying to connect it to Y companies network. It wont work. Why ? because its not in a LOCAL status.

Edit , Kawi this isnt your case , its the original posters , The info is intended for him/her. Your case , Dude ya got me. I have seen cases like yours where a modem just POOFS ... it sure as heck isnt the fault of the field techs, but maybe a database issue. I have seen it happen on a few micros before. I have been to the same house more than 2 times , in about a 3 month period for the same issue as you state. I cant explain it , but I sure as heck can resolve it.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 edit

I realized my bad right after I pulled the trigger. That's why I withdrew my post.

Damn your fast !!

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE

1 edit
reply to KawiG5

why is limited address space a comcast problem?

and if you know about it, then why did you ask?!?!

oh and id love for you to find me a tech who calls into billing......we go through dispatch, they contact either the warehouse, or tier 2 whomeever they need....

when you have a retail modem, you call up, CAE enters the mac address that YOU read into ther system...along with some other basic info...., then checks rate/outlet codes, and maybe even gives you a push through wall garden (i doubt they do that for you though)

there is no lack of competency....its a system...it has steps....

KawiG5
Premium
Nanticoke, PA
reply to Phugg

said by Phugg:

Hmmm do I take the bait and get in a war ?? Nah . You Kawi are my hero.

Now on a side note , How was the inhouse service ? I ask this for a reason. I dont want to know about billing or anything. Did the tech that arrived to help your situation actually get it resolved ?
The in house service was astounding. The situation, each time, was rectified in a short period of time. Now the main reason I believe they had given me their best is because each one had been employed by the former Adelphia. I say this because I know that they all had been hired originally for what they knew and how well they performed. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about those who have only been employed by Comcrap.

For example, a long time friend of mine lives in the Philadelphia area and has had Comcrap HSI since it was first introduced in that area. He has told me about the various problems he has had with the service over the years. Unfortunately the in house responders weren't given much praise by him.
--
»Team Discovery

KawiG5
Premium
Nanticoke, PA

4 edits
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

why is limited address space a comcast problem?

and if you know about it, then why did you ask?!?!

oh and id love for you to find me a tech who calls into billing......we go through dispatch, they contact either the warehouse, or tier 2 whomeever they need....

when you have a retail modem, you call up, CAE enters the mac address that YOU read into ther system...along with some other basic info...., then checks rate/outlet codes, and maybe even gives you a push through wall garden (i doubt they do that for you though)

there is no lack of competency....its a system...it has steps....
I did not say that limited address space was a Comcrap problem. I am stating that Comcrap is a problem. Once again get your facts straight and stop trying to twist the thing around.

If you read a previous post I posted about my modem you might understandmy point. But, let me give you more history about the modem.

As I stated, the modem is a Linksys BEFCMU10 v3. The modem has been used for several years. It was originally purchased by my sister who had lived in Lansdale, PA where Comcrap is the only cable ISP available. She had moved back to this area and used the modem with the Adelphia HSI for a little while. She no longer wanted the service and the modem sat for several months. Not wanting it to go to waste, I returned the modem I had leased back to Adelphia and put her modem back into service.

Early last Nov. I had moved to another part of my town and tried to get the HSI turned on a few weeks later. There was when the problems had started which was during the transition from Adelphia to Comcrap nearing completion. Sad thing is that the same problem happened back in late June which is many months after the full acquisition.

Now look at the facts. This one modem has been used with Comcrap HSI in the past and yet the same excuse is given by any CAE stating that the MAC address is not valid or that it's not in the system. How can that be?

Yes, anyone with at least half a brain can state that there is a huge lack of competence and yes it is a "system". A very flawed system which creates many displeased customers.

You can say what you will. But when an end user has knowledge in this area and has had many unpleasant experiences over the time, it is not hard to deduce where the problem lies.

One more thing. Why would each technician not detect the internet signal coming from the drop? Why would a tech. lie to me when he states that he has to call into billing because they never added it to the account properly? Why is the service then active after he makes the call to the billing dept.? One answer is quite obvious and I had mentioned it in a previous post. Each tech. was originally employed by the former Adelphia. How do I know this? How about it's because I had asked each of them. If it was an original Comcrap technician, I highly doubt the problem would have been fixed that easily. I could be wrong but you sound a lot like a tech. who has only been employed by Comcrap. I am so damn glad you aren't in my area. Although I do suspect that there are plenty of techs. who have been only employed by Comcrap and do know what they are doing. If only there were more.
--
»Team Discovery

KawiG5
Premium
Nanticoke, PA
reply to d1992

Let's help prove my point about Comcrap's incompetency. The following thread and the link contained explains a lot of which I had been suspicious of since before I had ever experienced such nightmares. »[Business] 5 Confessions Of A Comcast Customer Service Rep
--
»Team Discovery

KawiG5
Premium
Nanticoke, PA

1 edit
reply to EG

said by EG:

N.M., N.W.I.
Just as I would suspect.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

2 edits

said by KawiG5:

said by EG:

N.M., N.W.I.
Just as I would suspect.
May I say one thing, and go ahead and flame me if you will, but IMO, using the phrase "comcrap" is not very original (seen it thousands of times before), and every time that you use it (which IMO is quite excessive, be it true or otherwise), it takes away a bit of the impact of your posts..

I think that you can better make your point, and not do yourself a dis-service by resorting to using any verbiage that may discredit you in any way.

KawiG5
Premium
Nanticoke, PA

3 edits

said by EG:

said by KawiG5:

said by EG:

N.M., N.W.I.
Just as I would suspect.
May I say one thing, and go ahead and flame me if you will, but IMO using the phrase "comcrap" is not very original (seen it thousands of times before), and every time that you use it (which IMO is quite excessive, be it true or otherwise), it takes away a bit of the impact of your posts..

I think that you can better make your point, and not do yourself a dis-service by resorting to using any verbiage that may discredit you in any way.
I do see your point but unfortunately it has become a habit since I first started hearing the "name" and the horror stories from others concerning the company during the years past. And since you've mentioned it I do see the redundancy and for that I do apologize.

But, now it is time for me to end my ranting on this thread. I just got carried away from seeing something that had an all too familiar ring to it. We all know the original post and I for sure hope to see a positive result.
--
»Team Discovery

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

No worries dude, in spite of the insult directed at me

KawiG5
Premium
Nanticoke, PA

said by EG:

No worries dude, in spite of the insult directed at me
I do feel it necessary to offer an apology for any insult I have directed towards you. I do admit that I got quite carried away with my posts. I just never realized until now about how passionate I am when I believe a consumer is being dealt an injustice so to speak.
--
»Team Discovery

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

Peace

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere

1 recommendation

said by EG:

Peace
Oh barf...

KawiG5...

Are you a cable technician or a representative of Comcast?

If not, then I respectfully request that you let those that do hold those positions try to help the OP. You can start your own thread in Rant's, Raves and Praises about YOUR experiences.

Thanks.

Regards,

Randy

d1992

@achoneinternet.net

To answer the one question, yes I'm a current Comcast customer. The tech on the phone said that the problem was that my modem wasn't in the system, and that he'd have me online in just a few minutes once I gave him the Mac address. Once that didn't work, he said he'd have to send out a technician. It sounds like I'll just have to wait until that happens, as it appears it's a problem I can't fix.