uniqs

rudnicke
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke

Premium Member

"Baby Safe" Electric heater?

I have a one month old at home. Our first child. He's quite the sweetheart.

I live in a big, old, drafty, ex-military house. We use a boiler as the primary heating source, but it does not keep the entire house warm consistently.

Can someone recommend a good, reliable space heater that is baby safe? One that I can place on the floor in his room to keep the heat level up, but can be touched by him when he starts crawling?

Thanks.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

You want one of the small ceramic heaters. Most look like a small cube.

These have no exposed coils. The coils are embedded in a ceramic block and a fan flows air through it.

They have over temp and tip-over sensors for safety.

cocothebean8
You Are My Nightmare
Premium Member
join:2002-11-16
Carson City, NV

cocothebean8 to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
»www.eheat.com/?gclid=CMn ··· odLnspLw

Uhawl
-- watching --
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Asylum

Uhawl to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
Honestly, stay away from anything that poses ANY risk. Any good pediatrician will tell you to dress the child warmer instead of blankets or heaters. Don't get me wrong, the intentions are wonderful, but the method is too risky.

cocothebean8
You Are My Nightmare
Premium Member
join:2002-11-16
Carson City, NV

cocothebean8

Premium Member

What does a pediatrician know about modern electronics???
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
Do you have a desk, changing table or some other hard sturdy surface up in the air? My thought was to put the heater out of reach completely. Those small ceramic heaters are what you want but even still the front of mine still gets hot but then again hot air comes out of the front so I would expect it to get hot (or at least warm). I'm not sure there is any kind of heater that won't be hot to the touch but those small ceramic ones are the best choice I think.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
Vornados are great. »www.vornado.com/heaters.htm

Anonuser
join:2003-01-03
Milwaukee, WI

1 recommendation

Anonuser to rudnicke

to rudnicke
I'd recommend a Oil Filled Free Standing Radiator. Does not get hot enough to cause burns. When I was little, our house, Restored Victorian home, and when I say Victorian, I mean it, everything from the living room couch, fireplaces, beds, were all victorian, even all our chairs were 100+ years old.

We had a poor radiator system in the house, and it got very cold (as the house was setup to be heated mainly by 3 fireplaces).

Parents put a electric oil filed radiator in my room next to my bed. Worked like a charm ^_^ Nice n Toasty.

Summer was death though, no AC Only 1 Window Unit for the whole house.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to rudnicke

MVM

to rudnicke
Any electric heater that is going to do anything for the room temperature is going to be hot enough to burn a toddler.
You could put the heater INSIDE a playpen, which will prevent the inquiring wanderer from contacting it.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by jack b:

Any electric heater that is going to do anything for the room temperature is going to be hot enough to burn a toddler.
Probably true but the liquid filled heaters come closest. I've had electric hot water heaters for over 25 years and they are pretty safe.

rudnicke
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke

Premium Member

Wow. Thanks for all those suggestions. It's a lot to absorb. I like the idea of those panels, but the Vornado heaters look like they might do the trick as well. There are several high shelves in the room, so I could definetly place the heater well off the ground.

Looks like I have many reviews to read.

Thanks so much for the help.

Anonuser
join:2003-01-03
Milwaukee, WI

Anonuser to rudnicke

to rudnicke
If placing it on a shelf, SCREW IT DOWN! The vibrations from the fan motor and the "jet" of air can vibrate the heater off the shelf! Either screw it down, clamp it, zip tie it or somthing. Dont want it falling on the kid.