Search similar:

uniqs
secotton
join:2005-03-30
North York, ON

1 edit

secotton

Initial Routing Issues turn into IP range issues

Sorry about the subject, but I didn't know what to call it.

Anyway - I had some issues starting last night where I couldn't get out to the internet at all. I did a basic trace route and I could only get to one Bell router that I was connected to, and after that, no response.

I called Sympatico tech support hoping they would be able to fix the issue, but whoever I was speaking to suggested in the end it was a DNS issue with my computer and I should re-install Windows. I won't get into the impropper diagnosis and a suggested solution here, as I know things like this do happen.

This morning comes around, and I post a message to the Sympatico Direct forum (from work). Wow - quick response, with a phone call shortly after. I co-ordinated a time that was best to call me at, and Don's team called at that time and troubleshooted the issue with me. In the end, the issue turned out to be that there is a range of IP's that most likely will not work properly at this time as there are some issues (apparently 76.67.x.x). It was suggested that for now, this issue wasn't fully resolved as I could get one of these IP's again, and the best thing to do would be to power cycle the modem to try to get a different IP not in that range. Also, it was suggested the best way to get help for this issue if it comes back is to post to the Sympatico Direct forum.

To make it short, the Sympatico Direct forum worked very well, seems to be efficient and I had what I would call an appropriate response from a Bell Sympatico analyst, instead of a "try re-installing Windows" answer. This is how technical support should always be.

Update:
My IP just got refreshed and I kept getting a 76.67 IP address. I had to use the disconnect / connect button on the modem page about 15 times until I got a 70.53 which allowed me to get out to the internet again.
newf7
join:2007-09-11
Brampton, ON

1 edit

newf7

I agree that the techs on the supervisor and manager support lines are a whole lot better than any first or even second level tech you're likely to get calling support. Having said that, there are a few points:
1) it shouldn't be necessary to "jump through hoops" to get support that isn't a waste of your time
2) the issue, which I expect many are having, isn't resolved; you've just been given a, IMNSHO, less than satisfactory work around
3) dealing with problems, in this manner, may work for some but does anyone else having the same problem no good at all
Again, IMNSHO, it's much more an effort on BS' part to reduce the exposure the problems receive than a genuine desire to resolve them
secotton
join:2005-03-30
North York, ON

secotton

I would agree that I was only given a workaround, but some issues take some time to resolve, however I'd much rather be given a workaround that actually seemed to work, than a first level tech:
a)lowering my profile to try to resolve issues
b)having me switch cables around
c)disabling everything in my startup
d)telling me it's a problem with my computer and I should re-install.

At least in the end, my internet connection started working again and it was clearly explained to me what the problem was and how to resolve it on my end for the time being until the prolem is truly fixed.
newf7
join:2007-09-11
Brampton, ON

newf7

said by secotton :
I would agree that I was only given a workaround, but some issues take some time to resolve, however I'd much rather be given a workaround that actually seemed to work, than a first level tech:
a)lowering my profile to try to resolve issues
b)having me switch cables around
c)disabling everything in my startup
d)telling me it's a problem with my computer and I should re-install.

At least in the end, my internet connection started working again and it was clearly explained to me what the problem was and how to resolve it on my end for the time being until the prolem is truly fixed.
and, from the post in the "Sympatico Direct forum" thread
said by secotton :
Yes - that is what I was referring to. It wasn't a permanent fix, but it seems as though it is an issue that is coming up right now that needs to be looked into further. I would think it's something that isn't a quick fix, so all they can do is suggest a workaround. I'm sure that first level wouldn't know how to work through this type of issue.
As I said, I agree that the support you're likely to get from "DTOFF" is much better than you're likely to get calling BS' regular support. Having said that, it isn't difficult to improve on "worse than useless" and I would like to know why, other than reducing expenses by having people from the sheltered workshop manning their support lines, BS subjects us to the sort of treatment we receive at their hands.

Your suggestions that "some issues take some time to resolve" and "it's something that isn't a quick fix" are too kind...no, I mean really...they're too kind. Bell is a multi-billion dollar entity and, with resources like that, there isn't much that can't be fixed damned near instantaneously; certainly not issues such as this.

We pay a premium for what I was led to believe was a premium service. In fact, judging from my own experience and numerous posts on this forum, the service is less than adequate. Reading the reviews posted on this site, it's apparent companies charging considerably less than BS are providing considerably better service.

Hey, here's an idea: since BS obviously doesn't want to give me what they sold me or charge me for what they gave me, how about they credit the customer service concessions they've already given me plus an additional three months, in partial compensation for the time they're forced me to spend dealing with this since the last concession was given, to my phone account and I'll switch to a decent provider, so long as they guarantee the change over will be made without interrupting my Internet access. Who says I'm "not even willing to meet Bell halfway and come to some sort of compromise"? 8-þ

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to secotton

to secotton
said by secotton:

I called Sympatico tech support hoping they would be able to fix the issue, but whoever I was speaking to suggested in the end it was a DNS issue with my computer and I should re-install Windows. I won't get into the impropper diagnosis and a suggested solution here, as I know things like this do happen.
ROTFL! That script has been around since Day 1 with HSE! I thought they had trashed it but, like bad gas, it keeps coming back. Reinstall Windows? Not likely!

tyrnnsrs
join:2007-09-26
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs to secotton

to secotton
I can't believe they would even suggest that as an option. That should always be the worst case scenario. Actually I dont even think that is something they should even suggest, because there are people who dont know better and will actually do it.