page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 6 · 7 · 8 · next

noping
no route to host
Premium Member
join:2007-01-09

noping

Premium Member

Philadelphia / Tiling on CN, TBS

Signs of tiling noticed on TBS around 8-9PM during Family Guy. Also signs of tiling noticed on Cartoon Network just now during Futurama.

Anyone else in the Philadelphia area notice anything strange on these or any other channels this evening?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Uh-oh Noping.

Don't tell me the tiling monsters are back! Let's look at the calendar....hmmmmm...we have gone an unusually long amount of time without an issue -

But honestly, I was watching a bunch of Tivo'd programs last night - so didn't notice.

noping
no route to host
Premium Member

noping

Premium Member

Nobody?

Guess it's time to look into calling people out here again...
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

No kids here so I can't comment on the Cartoon Network, but TBS is loud, proud and tile-free.
knarf829

knarf829 to noping

to noping
Scratch that. Now I see it on TBS. It's not as bad as I've seen it in the past, but it's there.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Sorry-
I've been watching Comcast all day (despite the Phils losing - F'ers!!!!).

So, haven't seen any tiling here.

CeeZee
join:2007-04-11
Wynnewood, PA

CeeZee to noping

to noping
Just watched the Phillies game on TBS (sigh) and no tiling here.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to noping

Premium Member

to noping
It's probably time for another Direct forum thread Noping.

Be our leader!

(God, this is just another reason to say F the 1-month trial and just move to Comcast. This Philly tiling crap is rediculous).
Hooper
Premium Member
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO

Hooper to knarf829

Premium Member

to knarf829
said by knarf829:

Scratch that. Now I see it on TBS. It's not as bad as I've seen it in the past, but it's there.
Same here. Minor tiling.

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

GeekGirl1 to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
Tiling here in Yardley. It stayed within the SD video area, so it's possible that it could be in the upstream processing chain, not local to Philly.

As for the PQ, it was really hazy. Once they showed the Sharp graphics commercial on the green screen backstop, I figured it out. Black was perfect. It's the video mixing with the graphic insertions.

That 9 foot 'marker' for 1st base was a joke. Do they know how to mark distance correctly?

noping
no route to host
Premium Member

noping to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
Thanks for the confirmation knarf and Hooper. The tiling that I saw was very brief, definitely not as bad as we've seen it in the past.
said by SeattleMatt:

It's probably time for another Direct forum thread.
I'm already bracing for the BS responses from the local managers, "it's not Verizon's problem, it's a problem with your electrical wiring and/or PECO that's causing the tiling. We're not sending someone else out, bye."
said by CeeZee:

Just watched the Phillies game on TBS (sigh) and no tiling here.
Philadelphia sports teams, meh. I can't say that I see the point in getting worked up each year only to see the teams fall flat on their faces. Then again, I'm not a huge sports fan, just a casual observer...
knarf829

knarf829 to GeekGirl1

to GeekGirl1
said by GeekGirl1:

Tiling here in Yardley. It stayed within the SD video area, so it's possible that it could be in the upstream processing chain, not local to Philly.
You know, I was thinking that same thing because (with one exception) it didn't drop sound when the picture broke up like I've seen when it's been a local problem.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to noping

Premium Member

to noping
Good luck with the Direct thread.

Watching HD here now on FIOS - no tiling.

In all seriousness guys - this is beyong rediculous. Every 3-4 weeks or so we have to report this stuff in our area??
I can't believe more of you aren't fed up.

Why can't they figure this out?? It's almost insulting. After watching Comcast SD and FIOS SD side by side now on HDMI - Comcast has the edge (and yes i'm serious) - but hell, this may have to do with the crap quality VZ is sending us Delaware customers.
knarf829

knarf829 to noping

to noping
said by noping:

Philadelphia sports teams, meh. I can't say that I see the point in getting worked up each year only to see the teams fall flat on their faces.
Because NEXT YEAR it's going to be different.
knarf829

knarf829 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

In all seriousness guys - this is beyong rediculous. Every 3-4 weeks or so we have to report this stuff in our area??
I can't believe more of you aren't fed up.
The thing is, all my "fed up" got used up on Comcast, when it wouldn't be an occasional blip on the screen but Days long outages that they refused to address until you faxed the corporate headquarters.

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
Morrisville, PA

GeekGirl1 to knarf829

Premium Member

to knarf829
So what are my chances of watching the Flyers games that are on CN8 this year? There's something to be said about being part owner, building sponsor, and broadcaster. Hook, line, and sinker.
knarf829

knarf829

said by GeekGirl1:

So what are my chances of watching the Flyers games that are on CN8 this year? There's something to be said about being part owner, building sponsor, and broadcaster. Hook, line, and sinker.
How quick can you get to Jeep's place. Haven't you heard? He's got Comcast.

noping
no route to host
Premium Member

noping to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

It's almost insulting.
You see, this phone system advanced fiber-optic network consists of a multibillion-dollar matrix of space age technology that is so sophisticated, even we can't handle it. But that's your problem, isn't it? Next time you complain about your phone television service, why don't you try using two Dixie cups with a string?

We don't care. We don't have to. We're the Phone, Broadband and Entertainment Company.

--Lily Tomlin, SNL (1976)
There are two main problems that I have with switching back to Comcast. The main concern is the the early termination fee (if the billing department actually figures out how to sign me up for the triple play bundle discount). The other concern is that Comcast was not a great option when I had it up until March - it's "acceptable" in my neighborhood but not as great as FiOS TV was when I signed up.

Thread started in »Verizon Direct, I'm not expecting that very much will be done.

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
Morrisville, PA

1 edit

GeekGirl1 to knarf829

Premium Member

to knarf829
To add insult to injury, my buddy in Wilmington was scheduled to get FiOS installed today. Waiting for a report. He's a really big Flyers fan.
spooky2
join:2007-09-20
Kissimmee, FL

spooky2 to knarf829

to knarf829
I believe the tiling in the philly area has been linked to a digital harmonic interference pattern that is triggered every time an Eagles fan verbally compliments Donovan McNabb. That probably explains why it's not seen too much

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to GeekGirl1

Premium Member

to GeekGirl1
Geek-
Ironically, even at the end of a line - all my levels are great. SNR's in 35-36 range - no errors.

I was surprised. Tech had to attenuate the signal down, just like FIOS>

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
Morrisville, PA

GeekGirl1

Premium Member

Things are hopping tonight! I took my original post over to AVS forum, then you answered here. That was what my levels were on Comcast last year before they did their last major channel upgrade. Then the system got overloaded and the problems reached a breaking point. Will have to wait until my service agreement is up.

Back to baseball... (wait a sec, hockey is on VS now ).

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to noping

Premium Member

to noping
said by noping:

Signs of tiling noticed on TBS around 8-9PM during Family Guy. Also signs of tiling noticed on Cartoon Network just now during Futurama.

Anyone else in the Philadelphia area notice anything strange on these or any other channels this evening?
Noping, I just got back from a 15th Anniversary dinner out with the Mrs. this evening, and my kids actually DVR'd some of the problems they were seeing on CN this evening,
and I since then have seen Boomerang doing the same 'minor' tiling effect.

Same $#it, different day. I don't even bother to call about it anymore, they just reset the boxes and ONT each time,
then tell me a tech needs to stop by to check the signal levels again.

Once again, Thanks for choosing Verizon....
Hooper
Premium Member
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO

Hooper to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
Matt,
When I first switched to Fios TV, most folks didn't believe my comment that the Comcast picture quality was on par with Fios (at least in my area). The only channels, if at all, which I thought looked better on Fios were NBC and CSN. I also happen to live on a decent part of the Comcast network.

Almost all of my viewing is confined to the major networks in HD. For the most part I haven't experienced any issues that I would waste my time calling in about.

My bottom line is price. I got a better deal with Verizon. My last Comcast TV bill alone was $130 and that was after I got rid of an HD box and some movie channels.

It seems the only way to get a decent price on tv service these days is to bundle. Verizon clearly has a better internet service than Comcast, and since I work from home that is the most important factor to me.

noping
no route to host
Premium Member

noping

Premium Member

Problem seems to have spread to USA Network. Came home and turned on the television and immediately saw image distortion - the video and sound stuttered for a second and then returned to normal.

Might be related?
knarf829

knarf829

As far as TBS, it may be a provider problem. I'm watching Post Game Live on Comcast Sportsnet, and stutters and tiles are evident in some of the clips they're playing from today's game. I doubt Comcast is getting TBS via Verizon FiOS.

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
Morrisville, PA

2 edits

GeekGirl1

Premium Member

The Phillies game had a severe amount of compression. Stuttering and audio dropouts. It looked like I was watching it from an internet feed. Aside from the game results, the amount of compression seemed to change with the camera shot angle. Are they packet shaping? Maybe I'm seeing changes over time. In any case, PQ stunk.

The TBS studio commentators, Cal Ripken and The Big Hurt, had excellent discussions on pitching sequences.

HDNet Hockey is back! It almost makes me forget about this TBS fiasco. Almost. I've got till January.

noping
no route to host
Premium Member

3 edits

noping

Premium Member

Still seeing tiling on CN and TBS. Problem on USA Network from the other night seems to have disappeared.

Gustavo reported that the "video network team" didn't see anything. If they watched for longer periods of time (instead of "several minutes" then flipping to the other channel), I'd bet that they would see it. Again, it's not the "constant tiling" that those of us in the Philadelphia area have seen...it's entirely random and fairly infrequent, seems to be limited only to these two channels?

Anyone else still seeing this happen? There's another person complaining about this in the Direct forum (also from PA) but I don't know what to make of that.

I should start recording examples of the tiling effect to the DVR and find/hook up a Slingbox to it and see if they want to see for themselves. Apparently, that's what they're using to monitor remotely...
Expand your moderator at work