spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dimdem

join:2000-06-17
Norfolk, VA

Re: U.S. economy loses $58 billion from piracy every year.

said by 88615298:

said by dodgetech2:

Random number generator?
Surely you are not suggesting that priratng cost businesses NOTHING?
I have an M.A. in economics and I still need someone to explain to me what economic loss means in this context. Suppose that I pirate TV shows, and because I don't spend my money on cable I am able to make bigger car payments, so I buy a more expensive car. Or I am able to invest more, which gives businesses more capital. Has the national economy lost anything, or is it a wash? NBC may have lost, but does the U.S. lose?

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

said by dimdem:

I have an M.A. in economics and I still need someone to explain to me what economic loss means in this context. Suppose that I pirate TV shows, and because I don't spend my money on cable I am able to make bigger car payments, so I buy a more expensive car. Or I am able to invest more, which gives businesses more capital. Has the national economy lost anything, or is it a wash? NBC may have lost, but does the U.S. lose?
You are making an assumption that the dollars spent elsewhere go to U.S. businesses and create U.S. jobs and wealth, which clearly isn't the case. Given the U.S. balance of trade, a big piece of your posited alternate spending goes overseas. While the entertainment industry (most hurt by piracy) is still an industry dominated by US companies and workers. So yes, piracy does hurt the U.S.
--
--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

1 edit

the US entertainment industry hasnt made any thing worth my money in a long time well aside from House but every thing else is crap

id pay good money for the REAL BBC, Sky, NHK and the like in the US

edit and only i download House becouse i work nights so i miss it when its on and i want to watch it HD and my PCs monitor is much better then my TV

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

said by elios:

and only i download House becouse i work nights so i miss it when its on and i want to watch it HD and my PCs monitor is much better then my TV
So who's the bigger criminal? You for "illegally" downloading free tv (and likely fast forwarding commercials) or me for using Tivo to save it and watch it later (and likely fast forwarding commercials)?

On paper, I'm legal and you're not. In principle, we're doing the exact same thing (skipping commericals).

dimdem

join:2000-06-17
Norfolk, VA
One of two things happens to the money that we spend overseas. One is that it comes back to us in some form, if not via other countries buying U.S. exports then via foreign investments (including purchases of government bonds, i.e., the budget deficit). The other is that it doesn't come back. If it doesn't come back, then that effectively means that other countries are sending us their wealth for free, which is a huge gain for the national economy.

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT
Isn't that how trickle down theory works?

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by dimdem:

said by 88615298:

said by dodgetech2:

Random number generator?
Surely you are not suggesting that priratng cost businesses NOTHING?
One would assume if you are so cheap to pirate something you fail to pay for other things too. And face it you're too cheap or porr to have amore expensive car. See I have a M.A in REALITY, not on economic theories base on fanciful hypothetical situations. Down the line SOMEONE pays for all that pirating and it's probably me. So yeah color me ticked off.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by 88615298:

One would assume if you are so cheap to pirate something you fail to pay for other things too. And face it you're too cheap or porr to have amore expensive car. See I have a M.A in REALITY, not on economic theories base on fanciful hypothetical situations. Down the line SOMEONE pays for all that pirating and it's probably me. So yeah color me ticked off.
I have an M.A. in B.S. Which I'm calling on this. Where is your proof?
--
Weeeeeee

Yauch

join:2005-06-24

And I have a M.A. in basic reading comprehension. When someone prefaces their statements with "one would assume" that means that they are making an assumption and stating an opinion. And my M.A. in 3rd grade vocab words would tell me that opinion means that it cannot be backed up by fact because it is a personally held belief.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit

said by Yauch:

And I have a M.A. in basic reading comprehension. When someone prefaces their statements with "one would assume" that means that they are making an assumption and stating an opinion. And my M.A. in 3rd grade vocab words would tell me that opinion means that it cannot be backed up by fact because it is a personally held belief.
Clearly your "basic reading comprehension" skills are no better than you claim mine are. I was calling B.S. on his statement that he probably ends up paying in the end for my pirating blah blah blah, to which I responded with "prove it".

Maybe we should move down to 2nd grade vocabulary to ensure we both understand
--
Weeeeeee

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

Is not.

Is too.

Is not.

Is too.
jp10558
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY
Even if people are quite poor, especially if people do not have gobs of discretionary income, they will spend or invest their money they do not spend on a particular product. Unless you think very poor or very cheap people just stuff cash in their mattress?

If they do not, there are basically 2 things you *can* do with money. Spend it or Invest it (A savings account is still money invested in the economy - banks can use it as a basis to lend money to people who are spending it).
--
Opera 9.23(Build 8808); Windows XP Pro SP2;Athlon 64 X2 4600+; 2.5GB PC3200 DDR; 1M/128k DSL; NOD32(Version 2.5.25); Outpost Pro 3;Proxomitron 4.5j Grypen 5/23/07(Opera mod),GPG ID:0x0A1C6EE3
madrhino

join:2004-07-03
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by 88615298:
cheap or porr to have amore .... See I have a M.A in REALITY,

Porr amore?You are talking about grain cereal love??Huh?

Didn't that degree require any English classes?
--
Get Verizon FIOS,The Anti-DIOS