timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth

Premium Member

Mandatory network equipment filtering will mean...

the end of the Internet, at least as we know it. IMHO, the salient feature of the Internet is the free and open interchange of information. If and when it becomes just another commercially-approved content provision channel (I know it is getting closer and closer to that, all the time, but there is still quite a bit of open information available), I will just quit. They can keep it.

Tim

dr3yec
join:2002-12-19

dr3yec

All I got to say is encryption. They can filter all they want. There will always be ways around it. But NBC waste your time. Because when it comes down to it. It is all a waste a time.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

1 edit

1 recommendation

Transmaster to timcuth

to timcuth

This is what is wrong

A 19.95 cheap calculator
This is the problem idiots with cheap caculators. They sit back in their chairs farting and mindlessly punching numbers into a cheap calculator, thus illustrating the concept of crap-in, crap-out.

swhx7
Premium Member
join:2006-07-23
Elbonia

2 recommendations

swhx7 to timcuth

Premium Member

to timcuth

Re: Mandatory network equipment filtering will mean...

How, exactly, is a device supposed to filter out unauthorized content?

The only way it could be done accurately or reliabily would be by disallowing everthing that lacks a digital signature from the copyright holder - plus a vast infrastructure to make sure that only verified copyright holders can give the signatures.

Of course, you would have to get a digital signature on your homemade video of your kids or your vacation, in order to be allowed to send it to your mom or make your TV or computer display it. And to get that digital signature you would have to go through a verification process, proving to some authority that you are the real copyright owner. Again, this is the only way Hollywood could prevent its movies and TV shows being copied without permission. This would suit the copyright cartel just fine, because it would place high barriers to anyone other than big companies creating content.

This may seem absurd, but in fact there is no way that the copyright freaks' dream of pervasive DRM could work without disallowing all unsigned content. Allowing copying by default and trying to detect unauthorized copies would require (a) ability to identify every file being copied anywhere in the world; (b) a database of all copyrighted works, which does not exist and could hardly be created even if the whole Gross National Product were devoted to the project; and (c) a equally gigantic set of data indicating what permissions have been granted by every copyright holder for every file; (d) ability to check every file against these gigantic databases every time someone tries to copy it.

So these Hollywood people are talking out of some fantasy-land. The problem is that their demands are being taken seriously. The combination of technical ignorance and legislators being in thrall to lobbyists makes it an uphill battle to head off harmful laws based on extremist demands.

zoom314
join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

1 recommendation

zoom314 to timcuth

to timcuth
said by timcuth:

the end of the Internet, at least as we know it. IMHO, the salient feature of the Internet is the free and open interchange of information. If and when it becomes just another commercially-approved content provision channel (I know it is getting closer and closer to that, all the time, but there is still quite a bit of open information available), I will just quit. They can keep it.

Tim
Yeah, Pretty soon they'd have filters in their to make sure You said/typed only what they approve, Well I think the guy from NBC must've been randomly generated along with the number. to NBC...