how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fortissimo

join:2003-10-17
Richmond, BC

Dry / naked ADSL and no contract?

I have been totally confused and it's not like my style. I have been one of the earliest ADSL customers here in Vancouver, paying $50. to BC Tel and $15. to and ISP for a back then 4Mbps ADSL service, that was like 8 years ago?

I have also arranged an Office 2.5 package for our office as well. Some technical problems in the beginning, another story.

Now I am moving to a new place, and am trying to decide if I should go to Shaw (using it now) or Telus (which I am uncertain because how they treated me back then).

Last I talked to Telus Pre-Sales rep, they told me that they will not give dry ADSL until they launch digital phone (VOIP). I have been reading and finding some people were talking about dry ADSL (before digital phone launch). Is it because they are in different markets? Or Telus marketing changed since the rep told me (I am not holding the rep to her words as obviously marketing decision can change any time).

But now I'm trying to find out how to get naked / dry ADSL and I cannot find anything, either on this forum, or on Telus site. If I want to sign up, it asked for my Phone Account number. (I currently have it, but the new place won't, and I don't want to have a landline anymore, going VoIP all the way).

So the question is: is naked / dry ADSL available? If so, how, and how much? This is for Richmond, BC area. What I mean is how much more than their posted price, since it assumes having a landline service already on the same location. I do not have Telus postpaid cell phone either (I'm on Fido), and I do not plan on getting Telus' Digital Phone service, not their TV service, so if they want at least one service to give me such pricing / service availability then there is nothing I want to add to it. I just want internet, probably 1.5 or 2.5 package, and that's it.

Another question. I used to be able to get Telus on a month to month. Their website now shows a price, e.g. $31.95 for the 1.5 package, and then it says "conditions apply" and it's a link which I clicked, and then it says "available on a 1, 2 or 3 year service agreement". No mentioning of not having an term contract at all, and of course then no mentioning of the month to month price. So what is this? I now have to sign up for at least one year? Where does it say that I can do month to month as I cannot find this like I used to in the past (after they changed their webpages).

Thanks! (and if I find out more I'll let you know too).

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Last I checked, Telus offers dry DSL for $15 a month more. Fee waived if you have VoIP with them, or a cell phone (Which you dont, so this info is useless to you :P ). Don't think there is any way around the fee, without bundling.

For the month to month - The price listed is what you'd pay. They have a promotion where if you sign up for 1/2/3 years, the first 6 months are at a cheaper price. Pretty sure the "Conditions apply" is meant for that, and the 1.5 plan just doesn't have a cheaper price for 1 year.

Shaw will be cheaper, if your not bundling. Especially if your getting shaw Cable. Shaw is congested in some areas though, I believe Richmond being one of them - But if I remember correctly, they have a first 30 days are free promotion going on right now, so testing them for a month or two shouldn't hurt.

Cheaper: Shaw
Quality: Depends on where your living.

joshb
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB

said by Ikarasu:

Last I checked, Telus offers dry DSL for $15 a month more. Fee waived if you have VoIP with them, or a cell phone (Which you dont, so this info is useless to you :P ). Don't think there is any way around the fee, without bundling.
That's BS... I have a dsl no local and instead of getting the full 10 dollars discount I only get $5 for the contract... So at the end of the month it cost me $5.30...Big deal!!

You need to go back and look over the pricing again...Your stuck years behind the times.......issue
--
Curiosity really did kill the cat

tumble

join:2005-03-31
Vancouver, BC
reply to fortissimo

said by fortissimo:

So the question is: is naked / dry ADSL available? If so, how, and how much?
Naked dsl is available and it shouldn't cost you anything.

said by fortissimo:

Their website now shows a price, e.g. $31.95 for the 1.5 package, and then it says "conditions apply" and it's a link which I clicked, and then it says "available on a 1, 2 or 3 year service agreement". No mentioning of not having an term contract at all, and of course then no mentioning of the month to month price. So what is this? I now have to sign up for at least one year?
Offer available on a 1, 2 or 3 year service agreement until December 31, 2007, to clients who have not subscribed to TELUS High Speed Internet services in the past 90 days.

For the term of your service agreement, TELUS guarantees not to increase the monthly plan rate for your Internet access or decrease the included data volume limit for downloads and uploads in your monthly plan. Other charges can change (for example, charges for additional download/upload data usage or Internet security services). A cancellation fee of $120 applies (as liquidated damages and not as a penalty) to early termination of the service agreement. Service is also available on a month-to-month basis for an additional $5/month more than the monthly plan rate on a service agreement.

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to joshb

Years behind? This was probably 7-8 months ago, in my old place.

I remember the CRTC forcing them to lower it. I thought it was lowered from the $20 to the $15 though, but as I said "Last I checked". Was just a generalization.

joshb
Premium
Calgary, AB

My apologies....

No hard feeling...
--

queerDSL

join:2003-07-08
Vancouver, BC
reply to fortissimo

Can anyone without a Telus cell actually report that they had a very simple call to Telus where they said "Yes, you can have dry loop for no surcharge", and it worked and there was no surcharge?

WYCF

join:2005-11-18
Richmond, BC
reply to fortissimo

I am living in a townhouse complex in Richmond. Few of my neighbors are using ADSL from Telus. But when I try to apply to Telus they said "Not avaliable"!

I am using Shaw and it really sucks.

river_ratbc

join:2007-09-21

may be no ports availabe, or records are out of date, and they think there's loading coils on the cable. Keep trying, or if you see a tech out and about ask him/her. They can have you running that day if all goes well. Just have to Presto the order, and they get a commission.

joshb
Premium
Calgary, AB

said by river_ratbc:

or if you see a tech out and about ask him/her.
I've done that trick....It's amazing what can be done after a donut break at tim hortons.... It's all in how you approach the situation....
--

Betty Woo

join:2007-10-23
Vancouver, BC
reply to queerDSL

I can attest that Telus will do dry loop without charge (and I don't have a cellphone plan). Your old phone number is basically docked to your ADSL account - it stays your Telus account number but there's no service on it.

This is actually *great* if you decide that VOiP isn't the way to go and you want to go back to your old land line number.

If I ever have any problems with the first rank of Telus people, I usually tell them I want to speak to someone in 'Customer Retention and Loyalty' and present my problem to them. Since they're there to basically convince you to stay with Telus, they may have some more leeway in offering a non-standard solution.

As it stands, I now have high-speed ADSL for less than $40 a month on a one-year contract. I used to get the low (-ish) price on no contract through 'Customer Retention' people but it would only be for six months and, invariably, I'd forget to renew and end up paying the full price the 7th month; thus loosing all my savings