spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cat fancier

@cgocable.net

My cat is getting fat!

I have two cats. I feed them both the same, but one cat is getting really fat; she is twice the weight of my other cat.

The slim cat doesn't eat all her kibble in one go, & often leaves the food there & comes back to it later. Problem is, the fat cat steals her food when she leaves it. It's a constant battle chasing her away from the slim cats bowl!

I feed them less now to try & get fat kitty to lose weight, how long will this take?

Is the weight control cat food any good?

Thanks for any help, as I don't want my fat cat to get ill due to her obesity.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 edit

1 recommendation

Don't waste time asking here. Take the cat to the vet to make sure it doesn't have some medical condition causing the cat to eat more.
--
Write me up a 125.......I Can't Drive 55 »redrocker.com/ »cabowabo.com/

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to cat fancier

We had to go to prescription dry food for our 2 cats as they were gaining weight. They have lost a good bit of weight but we only give them about 1 cup of food/day. It did take awhile but the oldest is about 7 I think - maybe closer to 9.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to cat fancier

Feed them twice or three times a day. Take the food away after each feeding if there is any left. The slim cat will learn to eat enough at each feeding and the fat cat won't be able to eat it's food. Feed the fat cat the correct amount and no cheating. It will slim down slowly to the correct weight.
--
Some days it seems like ALL my brain cells have died.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to cat fancier

You would think the slim cat would have learned by now that the other will eat it all if she doesnt eat what she wants when the food is first put out.
--
BlockNews.Net- Quality Usenet Block And Unlimited Accounts

cocothebean
You Are My Nightmare
Premium
join:2002-11-16
Carson City, NV

1 recommendation

reply to cat fancier

Get him one of these!!!

And make him use it

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cat fancier

I have three cats and put the same amount of food down every night... about 1 1/2 cups dry. They wait at the bowl for it. One of the cats learned an interesting trick, she will reach her front paw back and up, then tap another cat on the neck,when that cat looks up, there goes some food.

I solved the problem by getting a 12X12 inch flat (dog water) bowl to serve the food in, it makes it harder for the one to reach the rest and gives plenty of room for each to eat.

Two cats are large, one stays always fairly small (the neck tapper), and the two that are large became that way very quickly after I got them (they were strays) but have kept the same weight now for three years. However, if these cats are not new to you, I agree, it is a good idea to have the vet check them out, including the smaller one that doesn't seem to gain weight.
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

BodyBumper

join:2004-06-21
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit
reply to cocothebean

said by cocothebean:

Get him one of these!!!
[att=1]
And make him use it

»youtube.com/watch?v=peLD2vlxRM0

»youtube.com/watch?v=Wvz0BFnWlAQ

Alan
Premium
join:2001-01-28
Atlantic Beach, FL
reply to cat fancier

Yeah, take your cat to the vet and see if there's something wrong.

I feed my cats once a day in the evening (one can of Fancy Feast for each cat). But I keep a bowl of hard food available all day. Luckily they haven't gotten fat. As a matter of fact they've been pretty darn healthy (knock on wood).

It's important not to let a cat get fat. For what I understand, cats don't metabolize fat as well as humans. Therefore, the likelihood of a fat cat dying when it gets sick and is unable to eat is increased.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to cat fancier

Like how fat? Animal's are not people not like they going to be heartily and tram all the time.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to cat fancier

Some cats seem pre-disposed to being chunky. We have 5 cats here, 3 are slim, one is mid weight, and one is a porker. They all have equal access to the food.

Homer J
Mmmm, Free Goo

join:2000-10-05
Springfield
reply to cat fancier

My wife and I have 5 cats (we had 6, but one had to be put to sleep, old and tumors do not mix).
One of them has grown increasingly round since we got her in December, we are trying diet food, but I think she just eats more. Funny part is she goes out all the time. The others are chubby, but have not expanded like her. She is the 2nd biggest now. The biggest is a Maine Coon, he can support his 17 pounds well.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to cat fancier

Is the "fat" cat really fat or just bigger than the other one? All cats are not created equal, and males are often bigger than females, especially if they aren't neutered.

waldoooo

join:2001-12-15
Fountain Valley, CA

2 recommendations

reply to cat fancier

maybe the skinny one is on drugs

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
reply to cat fancier

Okay well I see Imtim is doing well in his classes ...

Cats are strange creatures, some will ration their eating and others will eat until the bowl is empty ...

The only real solution is to separate(if possible) the cat that eats everything from the cat(s) that seem to control their eating.
--
Looking for fly shit in pepper.

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell
reply to waldoooo

Now that cat in the picture is WAY obese. The owner is negligent not doing something about it.
Since cats are true carnivores, they gain weight more easily when fed dry food because dry food is made with more grains (carbohydrates) which a cat does not metabolize properly. I had recently read a technical paper from a vet who's opinion was not to feed dry food to a cat for this reason.
But start with a vet checking the animal, they will do a blood panel to determine it's general health. The vet will have a chart on the wall that shows how to determine if the animal is over or under weight.

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here

Well "cats" are genetically predators, their metabolism doesn't fit with the lay around and eat lifestyle, that is why so many house cats get fat.

The MIL had a cat that was an "outside cat" that was fixed and de-clawed and became an inside cat ... he is now fat(well gigantic is better) .. when he used to be a lean mean hunting machine.
--
Looking for fly shit in pepper.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to cat fancier

Sorry, this is just too funny!

oldmike

join:2005-04-14
Latonia, KY
reply to cat fancier

We had the identical problem with our two cats. Princess Gracie the Mighty Mouser is a slim, conditioned, indoor / outdoor hunting machine who eats when hungry. Honey Sue the Evil Tubby Cat will eat continuously if given the opportunity, got round (which was funny), and got plugged up on a regular basis (which was not funny and very expensive). Daddy Cat (me) finally put his foot down. Gracie gets her regular food in the morning and evening under supervision, then that bowl is put up. Honey Sue is on a high-fiber wet food at dinner (1/4 can) into which we mix a quarter-teaspoon of Miralax and some water - it essential makes it into a gravy, and a high-fiber dry (3 ounces) we put out in the morning and evening. It works out very well - Honey Sue went from 14 1/2 pounds to 10 pounds in a year and is holding that weight. Gracie certainly shows no ill effects. Talk to your vet - they can make several recommendations about what foods contain the best fiber. We learned the hard way that all high-fiber cat foods are not created equal.

On a side note, I absolutely refuse to invest in a tummy-tuck for Honey Sue. I find it amusing to watch her excess belly skin swing from side to side when she's been caught doing something and is heading for a hiding place at a fast trot.

trog

join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to cat fancier

We had a similar problem; an older male cat who wouild hoover all food down, and a younger female cat who would just eat when she wanted.

Seeing she liked jumping up on a desk in my wife's computer room, we put her food (and a water bowl) on that desk.

Now she can happily graze when she wants, and the older guy just gets what he should. Of course, at times she will go and nibble on his food as well I suppose she's getting back for all the times he stole HER food!

BIG b
Premium
join:2002-11-23
Connersville, IN
reply to cat fancier

Click for full size
We have a Tabby Mackerel cat and he is house broke in the sense that he meows when he wants to go out to go to relieve himself...

He always comes in every morning to drink his milk (yes milk!) and to be fed... Sometimes he won't eat his food and sometimes he will.. I am sure he is either getting some from the neighbors or nutrition from the various creatures he kills and brings home for me ...

THe thing is he gets REAL fat then he will get REAL skinny .. I think he gets skinny when he is trying to mate.... He is not de-clawed and is VERY VERY gentle with my kids ... I have had him for 3 years now ... (ignore our messy floor)
--
MCP certified (currently working on MCSA & MCSE)

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to cat fancier

These two cats:

and

live in the same house and have been fed the same diet for the past 7-8 years. Fat Bags (yes, that's his name) has been to the vet many times about his weight. He's been fed all kinds of specialty foods with no difference in size. Unless he's just starved into weight loss he'll never be any smaller. On the positive side, he isn't getting any larger either.

The newer additions to the house also have trim figures:

They all have the same food with the same 24/7 availability. These are my brother's cats; my 3 cats are pretty much normal weight and they also have the same food and it's available to them 24 hours a day. Cats know when to stop eating!
--
John M - Cranky network guy

cate46032

join:2007-10-06
Carmel, IN
reply to cat fancier

Truman Peyote Says Hi!

Poor Peyote in Lion Cut

Skinny Peyote!
Three pics of my "skinny" Persian catboy, Truman Peyote, or just Yoti. The summer "Lion Cut" humiliated him at first, but he soon got over it.

Feeding advice from a longtime cat fancier: a cup of good quality dry food a day is about average, depending on the overall size of the cat (not so much by weight) -- and LOTS of fresh water. Some folks think their cats can just keep drinking out of the same bowl that never gets cleaned and they usually won't. They will go without drinking from it and try to water elsewhere (like the toilet or a faucet). Cats love cold clean water and it keeps their weight regulated.

I only give canned food rarely -- more like a treat -- because it isn't good for their teeth/gums, especially not cats with short noses like Persians. Cate in Carmel, IN

MSauk
MSauk
Premium
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to cat fancier

Click for full size
Boise
Click for full size
Lucky
We have one skinny cat and one fat tabby cat. I think all tabby (garfield) cats are just fat lol

He is around 17 pounds of pure fatness and I love every single pound of him.

He has been big his whole life.
--
AthleticsPhotog.com

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to cat fancier

Click for full size
Click for full size
The gray cat got fat and then got kitty diabeetus. We put her on Purina Diabetic Management food and she has steadily lost weight. The diabetes went away as well. Not sure how, but one day the normal dose of insulin put her into shock.

The striped kitty got fat too, but he has lost weight on the DM food as well, though never got sick.

Both are 8 years old.