join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt

Re: NHL Network not coming to FIOS?

said by SeattleMatt:

Deblin-
Keep posting here. Believe me, they read these boards.
Cool deal.
pflog

pflog to knarf829

MVM

to knarf829
said by knarf829:

True. Verizon, there's a silent majority among your 500,000 customers who are perfectly content with the HD lineup you have right now. Focus on reliability, not on chasing flashy numbers of niche channels.
I didn't know reliability was a problem, seriously. My service (granted it's only been 2 months) has been spectacular. A few minor artifacts on some channels on occasion, but otherwise flawless. If you're speaking of the IMG software, I can't comment as I have a S3 Tivo, but I do see quite a few complaints about that.

In terms of priorities, I 100% agree that service quality/reliability and IMG stability should be #1 priority. And if that's the reason the additional HD channels are (hopefully delayed) not here, I am ok with that. But then they're doing things like adding the "gaming" thing - shouldn't they be fixing the IMG stuff before doing that? I'd argue they should add more HD before the gaming stuff, but I guess the total available HD market is probably a smaller portion of the customers than those that might subscribe/use the gaming feature.
Mark F1
join:2007-08-01
Fort Wayne, IN

Mark F1 to JPL

to JPL
Fort Wayne is home to the country's oldest minor league hockey team, the Fort Wayne Komets. I'm not a hockey fan, but I've seen them play and following the action isn't easy. I've heard about tests for a glowing puck or one fitted with electronics. None seem to have worked out. Maybe the action is easier to follow in Hi Def, but hockey still is not as popular as many other sports. Having the NHL network doesn't bother me, FIOS claims to offer something for everyone. But, I can't see them adding that ahead of more popular offerings. Within the next 12-18 months, I predict that lots of HD channels will come along. We've decided to replace our living room TV with a HD set, perhaps around Christmas (to take advantage of big sales), and the family room set will be replaced some time after that- but before the local channels have to shut down their analog transmissions in 2009. So, HD is important, just as debugging the guide and increasing it's reliability and searchability is important. But, folks just need to be patient. Nothing I've experienced, or read on here, has made me forget that the plusses of FIOS TV outweigh the minuses. Mark F.
Mark F1

Mark F1 to pflog

to pflog
No Gingerbread Channel for you!. When we first got cable in 1981, "I want my MTV" was a popular slogan. I guess "I want my HD! Now!" is the new battlecry. We all want improvements, I'm just biding my time. Mark F.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Maybe Weird Al will write it =)
SD6
join:2005-03-26
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6 to Mark F1

to Mark F1
said by Mark F1:

Within the next 12-18 months, I predict that lots of HD channels will come along. We've decided to replace our living room TV with a HD set, perhaps around Christmas (to take advantage of big sales), and the family room set will be replaced some time after that- but before the local channels have to shut down their analog transmissions in 2009. So, HD is important, just as debugging the guide and increasing it's reliability and searchability is important. But, folks just need to be patient. Nothing I've experienced, or read on here, has made me forget that the plusses of FIOS TV outweigh the minuses. Mark F.
I've got 3 HD sets. If Verizon hasn't added HD channels and HD VOD by the time my contract expires in 10 months, I may be looking elsewhere.

Let's not forget that they advertised fiber capacity and HD as an advantage of FIOS TV, and they haven't delivered on it yet. I'm merely judging them by the standard that they themselves asked to be judged by.
mark_h_in_NC
join:2007-07-22
Monroe, NC

mark_h_in_NC to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
How about just adding the SD version of the NHL Network?

SOMETHING is better than NOTHING.

And continued NOTHING will drive current customers away, and keep potential ones away too.

Heck, I'm still looking for NASA TV on FIOS. :/
Mezzerah
join:2007-10-11
Camarillo, CA

Mezzerah to robjlevin

to robjlevin
said by robjlevin:

The problem with hockey is that there aren't enough fans for VZ to care about. But hockey in HD is an amazing thing to see. The argument about not being able to follow the puck (which is bogus anyway) is totally thrown out the door.
Because of Verizon not supporting Center Ice, I had to resort to buying the Online version @ NHL.TV for $149.99and I had to buy MLB. TV online over the summer. Last year I had Time Warner and Watching Hockey on TV is much better You do not have to deal with the online streaming, and buffering issues. SO I say good going Verizon!!! Once again another company will be getting my hard earned cash because this Company rather cater to 85 % crappy channels that no one cares about.
Mark F1
join:2007-08-01
Fort Wayne, IN

Mark F1

Hockey on TV leaves me cold. Now a channel of women's beach volleyball would stir the coals a bit, or, if you're in the right mood, heat things up. Better not be any thin ice, though. Mark F.
bnceo
join:2007-10-11
Bel Air, MD

bnceo to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
I would love to see the NHL network on Fios along with NBA TV. But apparently, those channels are getting into exclusive deals with cable providers. Whatever. Fios is a fairly new service. Give them time. They still have to produce a large enough potential customer base for any of the channels to take it super seriously. Just enjoy the reliability of it.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

NHL Network launched on Comcast this morning here in DE!
mark_h_in_NC
join:2007-07-22
Monroe, NC

mark_h_in_NC

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

1 edit

GeekGirl1

Premium Member

Thursday night hockey on HDNet .

Comcast Sportsnet HD now in new *widescreen* format as announced at the beginning of tonight's Flyers game. Nice. Until you compare to HDNet.

ZB
join:2007-10-18

ZB to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
how's that $5 increase?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

What $5 increase????

Exactly...
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

said by SeattleMatt:

What $5 increase????

Exactly...
I think he's referring to the price increase that Comcast just announced. Not sure if it's affecting you or not, but areas of PA will see double-digit percentage increases in cost.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

What $5 increase????

Exactly...
»It's Comcast TV Rate Hike Season, Again [83] comments

Twice this year in some areas.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

As with any provider - i'm locked into my rates - so I won't be seeing any increase for quite some time.

But thanks for the heads-up...lol..

ZB
join:2007-10-18

1 edit

ZB

How long,3 months.Big savings!
SpeedyFios
join:2007-10-17

SpeedyFios to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
I guess Verizon is quite happy tending to soccer moms and children.

Because to not offer NHL, NBA, MLB, (NFL is exclusively wrapped up so VZ is excused for that)... It seems as if the VP of programming is a woman or perhaps a man who has a wife that wears the pants in the house.
robjlevin
join:2002-10-30
Medford, NJ

robjlevin

Or, given that sports is the most expensive programming they're willing to let the sports fans walk and keep the price down for the 80-90 percent of the population that doesn't give a rat's behind about it.