spc
uniqs
Mark F1
join:2007-08-01
Fort Wayne, IN

Mark F1 to pflog

to pflog

Re: NHL Network not coming to FIOS?

Isn't NFL Sunday Ticket exclusive to DirecTV? Or, is there something that we don't know. In case I ever get the urge to watch the Dolphins or the 49ers. Now, I'd like to see Stargate Atlantis in HD, but Hockey? Maybe there are folks that never get tired of following the puck. But, I don't think the Komets are on TV. More HD isn't a bad thing, but everything can't be in HD. And, having more channels doesn't necessarily mean they all should be HD versions of channels we already get. Mark F.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Yes NFL Sunday thing is Direct TV only, As for Scifi HD, its launched but on my cable system its only listed as coming soon ( by the end of 2007 ) so which do you want, coming soon or no mention of it? neither get you TV!

This discussion of I want the Nerd Herd of the day HDTV channel is silly ... what ever bragging rights for a week or month of some channel won't even be remembered in a years time ..

So in a years time what ever can be carried on all systems will be and sports will further be split into the highest bidder only thing. I doubt Direct TV will allow to be outbid for the NFL rights as they are also the ONLY national coverage and can afford it, just as Sirius spent what 100+ million to get Stern. All the delivery media's realise content rules, its not the pipe. Sports franchises all know this and will be going for the almighty dollar ( highest bidder )
robjlevin
join:2002-10-30
Medford, NJ

robjlevin to Mark F1

to Mark F1
The problem with hockey is that there aren't enough fans for VZ to care about. But hockey in HD is an amazing thing to see. The argument about not being able to follow the puck (which is bogus anyway) is totally thrown out the door.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

1 edit

JPL

Premium Member

said by robjlevin:

The problem with hockey is that there aren't enough fans for VZ to care about. But hockey in HD is an amazing thing to see. The argument about not being able to follow the puck (which is bogus anyway) is totally thrown out the door.
Totally agree. I've never been much of a hockey fan because it's just unwatchable on SD TV. They have to zoom the camera in really close just so you can get an idea of where the puck is, even though you still can't see it. And because they're so zoomed in they have to pan all the time to follow the action.

Right after we got our HDTV and FiOS set up, we had a party at our house - a small family gathering. I was showing my brother and my father-in-law what the TV could do. I put on a hockey game that was on in HD. They both said the same thing at the same time "wow, I can see the puck!" And because of the widescreen, you don't need to pan nearly as much.

I've started watching sports I don't even like just to catch the action in HD. Hell, if they had curling in HD I'd probably watch it now

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to guppy_fish

MVM

to guppy_fish
Why do you think it's just about "bragging rights"? Do you think we're all so shallow that we only care about the HD channels available to brag about it? Did it ever occur to you that we might actually, *GASP*, want to watch them? I watch a lot of SciFi channel and Discovery. What's so wrong with me wanting to watch the same shows in HD? Sheesh.

CeeZee
join:2007-04-11
Wynnewood, PA

CeeZee to JPL

to JPL
said by JPL:

Right after we got our HDTV and FiOS set up, we had a party at our house - a small family gathering. I was showing my brother and my father-in-law what the TV could do. I put on a hockey game that was on in HD. They both said the same thing at the same time "wow, I can see the puck!" And because of the widescreen, you don't need to pan nearly as much.
As an avid hockey fan (yep, grew up in Minnesota), one of the things I was going to miss most from switching from D* I knew would be NHL Center Ice.

But I did pick up HDNet (wow!) and ComcastNetHD (for the local Flyers games). On the other hand, the Versus coverage is horrible and I'm not at all sure that the HD version would help it all that much. The days of watching multiple games a night is over. But I did add up all the games we're getting over the regular season and it comes to over 175. Would I like to get NHL Net, too –– you bet but 175+ games makes it not as bad as I thought it would be. (Or as they say in Minnesota, "it could be worse" )

I've now gotten so picky I even dislike watching the SD games (I think mainly from Canadian feeds) on ComcastNetHD.

And the games on HDNet are always spectacular.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
said by pflog:

Why do you think it's just about "bragging rights"? Do you think we're all so shallow that we only care about the HD channels available to brag about it? Did it ever occur to you that we might actually, *GASP*, want to watch them? I watch a lot of SciFi channel and Discovery. What's so wrong with me wanting to watch the same shows in HD? Sheesh.
SciFi is my #1 channel and by the time FIOS get to my house in Lakeland, I'll take a bet SciFi HD will on on the line up. My point was that might take a year to get all the new channels online ... I've waited for ISDN, Then Cable now Fiber and I can wait a few months for the full line up without wining like a little girlie. Also Brighthouse doesn't have SciFi HD, just the comming soon on the channel lineup ...

As for what sports shows up, I would guess Verizon know quite well the cost benifit, hockey took a hole year off ( stike ) and not one network seemed to care ..

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Who's whining like a girl? I just want to be able to watch HD content on my HD service. And Verizon seems to be the only TV provider that's way behind the game. I'm a paying customer, I have a right to complain about what I'm getting or not getting.
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by pflog:

And Verizon seems to be the only TV provider that's way behind the game.
The only provider behind? Try Charter Cable, they are in the Stone Age compared to FiOS.

Yes, you have the right to complain. Have you done so? To Verizon, I mean. Complaining here may make you feel a little better but it isn't going to affect Verizon's plan and schedule one bit.

FWIW, I have had FiOS TV for over two years now, love it, but sure do wish they would do 3 things: 1) Add some HD channels, even if they aren't ones I particularly care about, just show some direction, 2) Deliver some VOD HD, even if it is only one program, again, show some direction, and 3) Not deliver the new IMG to me, maybe even forever, I am perfectly happy with the old guide
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

said by guppy_fish:

My point was that might take a year to get all the new channels online ... I've waited for ISDN, Then Cable now Fiber and I can wait a few months for the full line up without wining like a little girlie.
said by pflog:

Who's whining like a girl? I just want to be able to watch HD content on my HD service. And Verizon seems to be the only TV provider that's way behind the game. I'm a paying customer, I have a right to complain about what I'm getting or not getting.
said by justin9876:

Yes, you have the right to complain. Have you done so? To Verizon, I mean. Complaining here may make you feel a little better but it isn't going to affect Verizon's plan and schedule one bit.
Having the right to complain doesn't make the complaint any less girly. And pointing out that you have a right to complain may indeed make the complaining more whiny and girly.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to justin9876

MVM

to justin9876
No I haven't, but you're right I should, and so should EVERYONE here. Have you? If not, you should, too
knarf829

knarf829

said by pflog:

No I haven't, but you're right I should, and so should EVERYONE here. Have you? If not, you should, too
I'm happy with the current HD Lineup.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to knarf829

MVM

to knarf829
said by knarf829:

Having the right to complain doesn't make the complaint any less girly. And pointing out that you have a right to complain may indeed make the complaining more whiny and girly.
Ok, so I'm supposed to just sit here and be happy that Verizon can't provide the same channels that competitors can? Give me a break. Call it girly if you want, but what we're all asking for isn't unreasonable. If you don't want to complain and are happy with the HD channels available, fine. But there are plenty of us who think Verizon is majorly dropping the ball on HD content.
pflog

pflog to knarf829

MVM

to knarf829
said by knarf829:
said by pflog:

Well good for you. Many others are not. Just because you're happy with the available HD channels, doesn't mean everyone else is.
knarf829

knarf829

said by pflog:

said by knarf829:
said by pflog:

Well good for you. Many others are not. Just because you're happy with the available HD channels, doesn't mean everyone else is.
I'm happy and staying. What are you doing about the way you feel about it?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by knarf829:

I'm going to call and complain. Wow, I don't get how some people have to defend these big companies. I hope you have Verizon stock.
knarf829

knarf829

said by pflog:

said by knarf829:

I'm going to call and complain. Wow, I don't get how some people have to defend these big companies. I hope you have Verizon stock.
If you think I'm a Verizon defender, you haven't been reading these boards enough.
Mark F1
Fort Wayne, IN

Mark F1 to JPL

to JPL
Fort Wayne is home to the country's oldest minor league hockey team, the Fort Wayne Komets. I'm not a hockey fan, but I've seen them play and following the action isn't easy. I've heard about tests for a glowing puck or one fitted with electronics. None seem to have worked out. Maybe the action is easier to follow in Hi Def, but hockey still is not as popular as many other sports. Having the NHL network doesn't bother me, FIOS claims to offer something for everyone. But, I can't see them adding that ahead of more popular offerings. Within the next 12-18 months, I predict that lots of HD channels will come along. We've decided to replace our living room TV with a HD set, perhaps around Christmas (to take advantage of big sales), and the family room set will be replaced some time after that- but before the local channels have to shut down their analog transmissions in 2009. So, HD is important, just as debugging the guide and increasing it's reliability and searchability is important. But, folks just need to be patient. Nothing I've experienced, or read on here, has made me forget that the plusses of FIOS TV outweigh the minuses. Mark F.
SD6
join:2005-03-26
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6

said by Mark F1:

Within the next 12-18 months, I predict that lots of HD channels will come along. We've decided to replace our living room TV with a HD set, perhaps around Christmas (to take advantage of big sales), and the family room set will be replaced some time after that- but before the local channels have to shut down their analog transmissions in 2009. So, HD is important, just as debugging the guide and increasing it's reliability and searchability is important. But, folks just need to be patient. Nothing I've experienced, or read on here, has made me forget that the plusses of FIOS TV outweigh the minuses. Mark F.
I've got 3 HD sets. If Verizon hasn't added HD channels and HD VOD by the time my contract expires in 10 months, I may be looking elsewhere.

Let's not forget that they advertised fiber capacity and HD as an advantage of FIOS TV, and they haven't delivered on it yet. I'm merely judging them by the standard that they themselves asked to be judged by.
Mezzerah
join:2007-10-11
Camarillo, CA

Mezzerah to robjlevin

to robjlevin
said by robjlevin:

Because of Verizon not supporting Center Ice, I had to resort to buying the Online version @ NHL.TV for $149.99and I had to buy MLB. TV online over the summer. Last year I had Time Warner and Watching Hockey on TV is much better You do not have to deal with the online streaming, and buffering issues. SO I say good going Verizon!!! Once again another company will be getting my hard earned cash because this Company rather cater to 85 % crappy channels that no one cares about.
Mark F1
Fort Wayne, IN

Mark F1

Hockey on TV leaves me cold. Now a channel of women's beach volleyball would stir the coals a bit, or, if you're in the right mood, heat things up. Better not be any thin ice, though. Mark F.