Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to robjlevin

Re: NHL Network not coming to FIOS?

said by robjlevin:

The problem with hockey is that there aren't enough fans for VZ to care about. But hockey in HD is an amazing thing to see. The argument about not being able to follow the puck (which is bogus anyway) is totally thrown out the door.
Totally agree. I've never been much of a hockey fan because it's just unwatchable on SD TV. They have to zoom the camera in really close just so you can get an idea of where the puck is, even though you still can't see it. And because they're so zoomed in they have to pan all the time to follow the action.

Right after we got our HDTV and FiOS set up, we had a party at our house - a small family gathering. I was showing my brother and my father-in-law what the TV could do. I put on a hockey game that was on in HD. They both said the same thing at the same time "wow, I can see the puck!" And because of the widescreen, you don't need to pan nearly as much.

I've started watching sports I don't even like just to catch the action in HD. Hell, if they had curling in HD I'd probably watch it now

CeeZee

join:2007-04-11
Wynnewood, PA
said by JPL:

Right after we got our HDTV and FiOS set up, we had a party at our house - a small family gathering. I was showing my brother and my father-in-law what the TV could do. I put on a hockey game that was on in HD. They both said the same thing at the same time "wow, I can see the puck!" And because of the widescreen, you don't need to pan nearly as much.
As an avid hockey fan (yep, grew up in Minnesota), one of the things I was going to miss most from switching from D* I knew would be NHL Center Ice.

But I did pick up HDNet (wow!) and ComcastNetHD (for the local Flyers games). On the other hand, the Versus coverage is horrible and I'm not at all sure that the HD version would help it all that much. The days of watching multiple games a night is over. But I did add up all the games we're getting over the regular season and it comes to over 175. Would I like to get NHL Net, too –– you bet but 175+ games makes it not as bad as I thought it would be. (Or as they say in Minnesota, "it could be worse" )

I've now gotten so picky I even dislike watching the SD games (I think mainly from Canadian feeds) on ComcastNetHD.

And the games on HDNet are always spectacular.

Mark F1

join:2007-08-01
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to JPL
Fort Wayne is home to the country's oldest minor league hockey team, the Fort Wayne Komets. I'm not a hockey fan, but I've seen them play and following the action isn't easy. I've heard about tests for a glowing puck or one fitted with electronics. None seem to have worked out. Maybe the action is easier to follow in Hi Def, but hockey still is not as popular as many other sports. Having the NHL network doesn't bother me, FIOS claims to offer something for everyone. But, I can't see them adding that ahead of more popular offerings. Within the next 12-18 months, I predict that lots of HD channels will come along. We've decided to replace our living room TV with a HD set, perhaps around Christmas (to take advantage of big sales), and the family room set will be replaced some time after that- but before the local channels have to shut down their analog transmissions in 2009. So, HD is important, just as debugging the guide and increasing it's reliability and searchability is important. But, folks just need to be patient. Nothing I've experienced, or read on here, has made me forget that the plusses of FIOS TV outweigh the minuses. Mark F.

SD6

join:2005-03-26
said by Mark F1:

Within the next 12-18 months, I predict that lots of HD channels will come along. We've decided to replace our living room TV with a HD set, perhaps around Christmas (to take advantage of big sales), and the family room set will be replaced some time after that- but before the local channels have to shut down their analog transmissions in 2009. So, HD is important, just as debugging the guide and increasing it's reliability and searchability is important. But, folks just need to be patient. Nothing I've experienced, or read on here, has made me forget that the plusses of FIOS TV outweigh the minuses. Mark F.
I've got 3 HD sets. If Verizon hasn't added HD channels and HD VOD by the time my contract expires in 10 months, I may be looking elsewhere.

Let's not forget that they advertised fiber capacity and HD as an advantage of FIOS TV, and they haven't delivered on it yet. I'm merely judging them by the standard that they themselves asked to be judged by.