dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« I like it.Related articles »
This is a sub-selection from Making more money?

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to TechyDad

to TechyDad

Re: Making more money?

said by TechyDad:

From »www.music-law.com/contra ··· ics.html :
The band pays back the record label out of their royalties. For example, if a major label spends $250,000 to record an album, the band must make over $250,000 in royalties until they receive their first royalty check.
How much of that $250K is "funny money"? That is money that the record company "pays" itself (as oppose to others) by playing right-pocket/left-pocket and thus does not actually spend? Are the rates that they claim to charge to record the record (ie: Studio Charges) the same as if the band did the recording themself at an non-company studio or are they inflating the costs? How much of the charges are actual and how much is pure profit? Much of that $250K is phony or inflated charges not real actual out of pocket costs (plus a reasonable profit).
PHOENIXZERO
join:2006-07-11
Beaverton, MI

PHOENIXZERO

Absolutely, they grossly over charge for studio time, I remember hearing Aaron Lewis lead singer of the band Staind doing a interview on a local radio station complaining about the evils of piracy and how it cost them either $250,000 or maybe it was even a million dollars to record whatever album they had coming out at that time. Unless a lot of that was their bonus, I really don't see why it should cost a band so much to record an album unless they're paying for over priced studio time and an over priced producer among others. Either that or they just really suck and needed a lot of work and "production magic".
« I like it.Related articles »
This is a sub-selection from Making more money?