share rss forum feed

THX 1138
neo-luddite
Premium
join:2007-01-24
San Jose, CA

SpeedStream 4100 and Modem Access Code

Greetings. I searched on this, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for:

This is probably a ridiculous question, but here goes... I bought a used SpeedStream 4100. I pressed the reset button to clear out all of the previous owner's information. I connected it directly to my computer (a Mac) so that I could do the little things necessary on the modem spec page.

I managed to get in there and set up the modem for my use with my ISP, and then, like I have in the past with other SpeedStream 4100s, I went to change the Modem Access Code from something different than what is on the bottom sticker.

That all went okay, and I connected to the internet successfully, and the modem seems to work fine. However, after shutting everything down, restarting everything after a minute or two, I reaccessed the modem stats page and to my surprise I was able to access everything. I could change passwords, etc. Nothing was out of my reach.

My question is this: What is the Modem Access Code for if it doesn't prevent me from gaining access to all the password settings, etc.? It seems as if I should have been presented with a dialog that asked me to enter my Modem Access Code somewhere, otherwise, anyone who uses my computer could mess with my modem. I'm mostly concerned that I haven't done something right, and my modem might be vulnerable on the net.

Can anyone tell me what it is that is happening, or what it is that I'm doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

I'm not sure I understand did you turn off the modem and when you turned it back on the session was still up?

Once the access code is set when the modem prompts for it that session is valid for a period of time after the code is entered.

2004/03/07 23:04:10 GMT E |User |lanadmin: Logged in to YAHOO 192.168.1.64

2004/03/08 00:47:07 GMT E |User |User lanadmin: Logged out after idle time

The shortest session I've seen is about 30 minutes, but most were much longer.
--
God bless our troops

THX 1138
neo-luddite
Premium
San Jose, CA

Yes, that's what happened. I turned off the modem, and when I turned it back on I was able to change any changeable specification on my modem stat pages without entering a Modem Access Code.

I thought the Modem Access Code was a kind-of password protection so that no one but the modem owner could change, say, the ISP info/password. It looks like I don't understand it.

What is the mechanism for locking out other people from making changes to your modem settings?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by THX 1138:

I thought the Modem Access Code was a kind-of password protection so that no one but the modem owner could change, say, the ISP info/password. It looks like I don't understand it.
It is protection against unwanted changes, once you use the code after a certain amount of time you must enter it again to access some pages.

Every time you use the code entries are made in the modems log, looking there will give you an idea of how long your sessions last.
I must say I've never had the modem act as you describe.
--
God bless our troops

THX 1138
neo-luddite
Premium
San Jose, CA

Thanks for the help, wayjac. I'll check my log and see if there are any clues there. Maybe I just didn't leave the modem off for long enough. Maybe it's like my [old] laser printer; if you just cycle the on/off switch too quickly, you haven't done much to clear the memory... you have to wait like 15 seconds or something. Maybe I have to turn off the modem for a couple of minutes more for the stat page to lock me out. I'll check and see.