spc
Search similar:

uniqs
justvincez
join:2006-05-31
Window Rock, AZ

justvincez

[Help] Dodge D150 Steering Column Name

Hi all, I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

I was given a 1990 D150 truck recently and am trying to fix it. In the steering column, the metal inner part (maybe gear rod?) broke near the top part and therefore the steering wheel wiggles. If the broken inner part is the gear rod then maybe it cannot shift into gear since the gear shift is on the column.

So, I was told to look for a steering column for a 1990 D150, 5.2L, 16V, 2x4, automatic truck with tilt and gear on column, but cannot find "steering column" in any online part sites.

I assume I need the whole column from the pedal up to the steering wheel. Is "steering column" the correct word to look for or is it called something else? Maybe it is two parts where one goes inside the other? Since the gear is on the column, maybe the inner part is for the gear and the outer part is the column cover? If so, do they come apart?

I thought of welding the broken area back together but the outer metal "ring or column" prevents from reaching the area that "maybe could" be welded. Do I need to buy the whole column or could I take it to a welder or auto repair shop and they could weld it?

Due to it's age, I do not want to spend hundreds buying a new column but am willing spend 1-2 hundred to fix this problem.

Thanks again for any suggestions.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

A salvage yard is your best friend in this instance, it has to be stripped.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to justvincez

Premium Member

to justvincez
You won't find one at a Auto Parts store. You can only get New at the Dealer or Used at the Junk/Salvage Yard.

If you just need a new shift selector rod, you can inquire at the Dealer for it.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to justvincez

MVM

to justvincez
Pictures/video?