All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
elec999
join:2005-12-19

elec999

Hp dv9000 horrible wireless performance

My HP laptop with a broadcom pre-n wireless adapter gets horrible signal strength. Being a few feet from my router it gets 85% signal. In my basement where my other laptops gets 70% signal, mac mini gets 73% and my HP laptop barely gets 20% and sometimes nothing at all. Is it a bad broadcom card, or are the internal wireless antennas bad. HP didnt update the drivers for this card, since they release the card.
Thanks
stevech0
join:2006-09-17
San Diego, CA

stevech0

Yes.

You could get a $15 USB WiFi 11g dongle. It will work OK, I'll bet. Disable the internal pre-N card.
elec999
join:2005-12-19

elec999

said by stevech0:

Yes.

You could get a $15 USB WiFi 11g dongle. It will work OK, I'll bet. Disable the internal pre-N card.
Then whats the point of having the internal card, if it doesnt work.
Thanks
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

Unfortunately many notebooks' internal wireless card and antenna system isn't very good. This is especially true of those notebooks that use an Intel wireless solution, those cards aren't as sensitive to comparable products from other manufacturers like Atheros.

In many cases there really isn't much you could do. For some notebooks that use a standard MiniPCI card you could replace the OEM wireless card (if that is indeed the problem) with something better, but for many notebooks it's a fairly involved operation.

I would second the suggestion of getting an external adapter, though I would suggest something other than USB as USB adapters don't generally have drivers that are as good or frequently updated compared to PCMCIA ones. If your notebook has PCMCIA slots consider getting one that's based on a Atheros chipset. These adapters have better sensitivity and has decent updated generic drivers.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to elec999

Premium Member

to elec999
Hi, welcome to HP support

Check the preferences for the wireless adapter hardware, make sure power saving mode (if any) is OFF, or it's set to full power, or whatever else it takes so the wireless uses more battery, but also actually fully powers up.

That is most likely the issue.

Thank you for calling HP Support. It's a beautiful day in Bangalore. Have a great day.