neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

[Notebooks] Need laptop w/ true serial port

Okay.... I need a laptop that has a true serial port. This could be served by older laptops, but we are looking for new laptops, as the ones we have now are old and falling apart.

Intel CPU's preferred, but AMD works as well. Built in Wifi, decent memory and disk space, and above all EXCELLENT battery life.

I don't think we can use USB to Serial adapters, as I don't think they are compatible with the software we run (old as hell control software for HVAC work).

OS really doesn't matter, as it is going to have XP Pro installed anyway....

We are kinda hoping for Dell or HP systems....

Happyrat6
Google Is Your Best Friend
Premium Member
join:2002-07-01
Disneyland

Happyrat6

Premium Member

You might be able to use one of these with any modern notebook.

»www.directdial.com/ca/sh ··· o+serial
NgtFlyer
join:2000-07-09
Marietta, GA

NgtFlyer to neonhomer

to neonhomer
Check out the HP business line of notebooks. As far as I know, all of the HP business notebooks have serial ports. These are the ones branded HP Compaq. I just purchased an HP NC8430 and it has a real, genuine serial port. All 9 pins of it. It's located on the right side of the notebook right at the rear - a good spot for it. I think HP's philosophy is that some business and technology customers, especially like those in IT like myself, who this line of notebooks is aimed at, will need the serial port to console into switches and routers. They do, after all, also make the Procurve line of switches, most of which have serial console ports. A fantastic move by HP and I commend them! As a side note, I am very pleased with the performance and build quality of this notebook.

I also understand Dell has put serial ports back onto some or all of their Lattitude line of notebooks for the same reason. So yes, you can still get a real serial port on a new notebook. You'll probably have to order a business model since all of the ones you find in your local electronics/big box stores tend to be aimed at consumers. Shiny with USB ports. Another upside is you can still order business class notebooks with Windows XP if you so desire. The downside? Cost. These are higher-end machines that will cost a bit more, but you can expect longer life and better durability from them. I just really wish Lenovo would have listened and included a serial port on their Thinkpad T series machines. I would have probably bought another Thinkpad.

Cisco gear, especially the older stuff, is the pickiest. These things just won't play nice with some, if not all, USB to serial converters. You have to have a real serial port to access the console on them. Also, a converter is yet another loose thing that has to ride along in your bag/grip. All of these things add up when it comes to weight. The less stuff I have to have with me, the better. To this end, I also really like the included SD card reader in my new HP.

Good luck in finding a notebook that covers all of your needs.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

When we decide to buy, we will be probably be buying 10 of them or so.... We really don't need super fast machines, but good enough to run the programs we use (From Trane's Rover to CIS for Siemens controls), and occasional use when the user is at a hotel out of town on a job.

Zaber
When all are gone, there shall be none
join:2000-06-08
Cleveland, OH

Zaber to neonhomer

to neonhomer
The last one I bought was a Compaq Presario 2100 (2188cl) it is an older model but mine has lasted quite well. It cane with a real serial port and a built in floppy drive, both things came in handy. As for new, I don't know of any anymore, it took me months of searching to find that Compaq.
NgtFlyer
join:2000-07-09
Marietta, GA

NgtFlyer to neonhomer

to neonhomer
Just as an addendum to my previous post: I've had my new HP NC8430 notebook now for about two weeks and I love it! I strongly recommend the HP business line of notebooks (These are what the Compaq Armada and Evo have become). Very solid, well designed and a pleasure to use right down to the keyboard. Basic models can be had for $600 or below. The most expensive ones go for $3000+. They all have the coveted serial port!

I've used mine twice to configure datacenter grade switches using the serial port. Works like a champ.

Best of luck finding a notebook that suits your needs.
lovewomen
join:2003-08-07
Springfield, VA

lovewomen to neonhomer

to neonhomer
All Dell Latitude have serial ports on them.