spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Admin1

@rr.com

Recommended 'commercial-grade' wireless internet routers??

High rise hotel needs Wi-Fi connections on each floor. What's a good, strong router or WAP (wireless access point) for this type of application?

I assume you can't just go to a BestBuy and pickup an off-the-shelf Linksys or Belkin....

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

What will you be connecting the WAPs too?? Prior to the ISP
How are you planning on connecting the WAPS??

Admin1

@rr.com

Umm I don't know, how should I connect them?

Btw, the demarc will likely be a Cisco 1841 w/T1 card.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Standard advice to ensure that

a. wifi users cannot see each other, when accessing from the same WAP - a common feature setting.

b. users cannot see each other from different WAPs etc..
Typically either the WAP has a single flow to point for outgoing traffic as delineated in the web gui, or more commonly WAPs are on managed switches with Port VLAN type setup. No access between ports but full access to the port leading to another switch or to the router.

c. realization that high power APs are not useful as peoples laptop adaptors are not! Better to use more APs to get coverage.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

jlramirez
Premium
join:2004-10-01
Sugar Grove, IL
reply to Admin1

Cisco and Cisco.... You don't want to use consumer grade equipment in that type of environment.

You considered enlisting the help of a network consulting firm or your provider in the design/engineering of this?
--
Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

I would look at the VSG1200 as a possible option for the hotel router device »www.zyxel.com/web/product_family···AEBACF17

and the new NWA3163 series for your WAPs. »www.zyxel.com/web/product_family···2C659A20

ftthz
If love can kill hate can also save

join:2005-10-17
reply to Admin1

would go with cisco WAPs and set them up by giving each person their own /30 so they don't see any other people on the subnet as well

imseanbrown
Premium
join:2005-12-20
New York, NY
reply to Admin1

Deffinately get a consulting company involved with this. You can open yourself up for a really bad day if you don't implement this solution correctly.

WIFI is a good start, but deffinately look into the VSG series stuff from Zyxel. They have a good MTU/MDU selection of equipment which secures people from trying to hack into other people, plus they have an ANY-IP feature which allows the end user to just plug in and it works, no matter what their IP settings are (trust me, it's a lifesaver -- we installed 4 of these in our building and cut our post-install support calls down by 90%

PM me for more info... we do MTU/MDU consulting and can help.
--
Sean B
Datacenter Operations
US Network Management, Inc.
»www.netmanage.net
(561)253-6500

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Why four VSG1200's in one building?
How many people does the building hold??