We already have YES HD. You mean FSNNY?
afiggatt
join:2007-07-12
Sterling, VA

afiggatt to thefett

to thefett
said by thefett:

what about msg(hd) and yes(hd)?
Those are regional sports nets, so they are a local/regional channel issues, not a national one. Besides why would I in VA want a Monosodium Glutamate channel? Old joke, I'm sure, but that is what I think whenever I see MSG.
afiggatt

afiggatt to blateyblatey

to blateyblatey
said by blateyblatey :

Which of these channels are showing actual HD content? I read that many of the "HD" channels aren't actually showing HD, but just stretched SD. I can already "stretch" the SD content myself.
Most of the new HD channels are not stretching. There is a half full / half empty aspect to it, but most of the new HD channels are providing some true HD programming, although it may be only a few programs. The ones that are stretching everything - among those that Fios does not have - are TBS-HD, History Channel HD, and Cartoon Networks HD. The Discovery channels are using some combination of a zoom and crop for a wider picture, but not a full 16:9 for their older SD programming.
robjlevin
join:2002-10-30
Medford, NJ

robjlevin to afiggatt

to afiggatt
I wish there was a point to this, but all it does is confirm what's already been said in other threads. We want more HD and it doesn't look like we're getting it.

The company was way too short-sighted in setting up its infrastructure and now they're suffering for it. They're not even close to being the leader in HD and adding the king of all stretch-o-vision, no 5.1 HD channels (A&E) isn't doing anything to change my mind.

My one year is up in a matter of weeks. Despite the high start up costs, I'll have to take a serious look at DirecTV. Everything I read about the new HD says the picture rivals FiOS.

Additionally, they seem to have miraculously worked out some kind of deal with the Dolans to carry MSG and FSN in HD. I found all the talk hard to believe but they're now using the MSG HD logo on their website. Hardly something they'd do without a deal.
geniac
join:2007-10-15
North Wales, PA

geniac

Everything I read about the new HD says the picture rivals FiOS??

My buddy has D*,I'll say its about the same.Couple of V* hd channels are slightly better.Buddy has samsung 1080p plazma and I have Mitsu 1080p diamond dlp.
bnceo
join:2007-10-11
Bel Air, MD

bnceo to afiggatt

to afiggatt
FX HD
History Channel HD
CNN HD
Mojo (isn't all their content HD?)
Sci-Fi HD
TBD HD (if they get it right)
USA HD (same)
Versus HD
Weather Channel HD (to see a hurricane in HD would be sweet!)
MTV HD (I know Fios has an MTV HD, but it's not the same content as regular MTV. I wanted to see the VMA's in HD gosh darnit!)

Richmond81
@myvzw.com

Richmond81 to afiggatt

Anon

to afiggatt
Fox Business HD
Sci-Fi HD
History HD
Discovery HD
JTBurn
join:2003-11-08
Ellicott City, MD

JTBurn

VS/Golf Golf Channel HD
Discovery HD
USA HD
NHL Network HD
js0720
join:2007-05-22
Temecula, CA

js0720 to afiggatt

to afiggatt
VS/Golf
USA
FX

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190 to bnceo

Premium Member

to bnceo
said by bnceo:

FX HD
....Weather Channel HD (to see a hurricane in HD would be sweet!)
Just pop in a HD DVD of Twister!
Vamp9190

1 edit

Vamp9190 to JPL

Premium Member

to JPL
said by JPL:

said by Vamp9190:

Fox Soccer Channel
Discovery
Bravo
TBS
USA
Ok, I officially change my vote! If they have Fox Soccer in HD, that I DO want.
I don't think they do, wishful thinking on my part. Just tired of very average looking SD games. The FSC picture quality is one of the worst ones in SD (not just the 10 year old recorded games, the current ones too).
afiggatt
Sterling, VA

afiggatt

Ok, I posted the top vote getters in the 1st post with comments on how I how added them up. If anyone else wants to add their votes, I will update the vote total in the 1st post.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit

aaronwt to afiggatt

Premium Member

to afiggatt
Sci-Fi HD
Weather Channel HD
USA HD
CNN HD
Discovery HD (part of the Discovery channel HD group)
FX HD
barth2k
join:2002-10-10
Pasadena, CA

barth2k to afiggatt

to afiggatt
Sci Fi
F/X
Discovery
Animal Planet
Cartoon (what the heck)
harley3k3
join:2007-04-10
Flower Mound, TX

harley3k3

SCI-FI before 11/24/07 - (the battlestar galactica premiere)

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

This thread is like an inner city kid wishing for a pony.

It just isn't happening.
Mark F1
join:2007-08-01
Fort Wayne, IN

Mark F1 to afiggatt

to afiggatt
No Cheech And Chong Channel? Oh well, HD sets are expected to be hot sellers this Christmas. So, I guess more premium channels (the ones we subscribe to, at least) in HD would be nice. But, although I might like seeing Porky Pig or the cloud cover over Northern Indiana in HD, of the channels on the list, the five I probably watch the most are Sci Fi, USA, TBS, FX, and Bravo. Some people want all the Discovery and History related channels, whether or not there is a significant amount of HD programming. But, someone said that birds, bugs, and leaky pipes don't need to be in HD. Still, many folks seem to want golf in HD. Why not bowling, at least the ball isn't so hard to see. Unless, a little golf ball is easier to see in HD. And, it's probably more popular than ice skating. Mark F.

dddane
join:2002-01-10
Chicago, IL

dddane to afiggatt

to afiggatt
CNN HD
Smithsonian HD
Cartoon Network HD
TBS HD
FX HD

DRII
@mar.med.navy.mil

DRII to afiggatt

Anon

to afiggatt
I know I am not the only person who wants The Tennis Channel in HD...DTV is supposed to get it soon.

floepie
join:2005-12-01

floepie to afiggatt

to afiggatt
CNN HD
Discovery HD
afiggatt
Sterling, VA

afiggatt to DRII

to DRII
said by DRII :

I know I am not the only person who wants The Tennis Channel in HD...DTV is supposed to get it soon.
A net search shows that as of last April, the projected start date for The Tennis Channel HD was November or December, 2007. So it may be months away from going live. Honestly, this is not going to be a high priority channel for Verizon, even if you want it. For one thing, Verizon has not shown that they are that responsive to the sports fans. They still have not added Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HD to the VA, MD, DE areas after all this time nor have they added Versus/Golf HD despite the fact that the NHL season has started. Perhaps, one holdup is that Verizon needs to create a HD sport tier tied to the SD one. Golf channel is in the extra cost sports tier, not in the base channel set. Regardless, the odds are that Tennis Channel HD won't show up until they have killed the analog channels and reclaimed that bandwidth.
afiggatt

afiggatt

Ok, I just updated the vote totals so far in the 1st post which I have pasted below. If we do indeed get the 4 Discovery channels at the end of October (not sure how reliable that info really is), dslreports Fios subscribers most want to see the Sci-Fi, FX, USA, CNN, Versus/Golf HD channels by a respectable margin over the rest. Question is whether Verizon can add any of these and whether they are paying attention to what the subscribers most want in determining which HD channel gets added.

17 Discovery HD
15 Sci-Fi HD
11 FX HD
11 USA HD
10 CNN HD
10 Versus / Golf Channel HD
6 Animal Planet HD
6 Science Channel HD
4 Big Ten HD
4 TLC HD
3 Bravo HD
3 Cartoon Network HD
3 History Channel HD
3 TBS HD
2 Speed HD
1 Fox Business Network HD
1 MOJO
1 ShowTime Too HD
1 Smithsonian HD
1 Starz Edge HD
1 Weather Channel HD

Tarheel72
join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX

1 edit

Tarheel72 to afiggatt

to afiggatt
FX HD
USA HD
Versus / Golf Channel HD
TBS HD
Speed HD

My number 6 would be Outdoor Channel 2 HD
bgtimber75
join:2006-06-23
Columbia, MD

bgtimber75 to afiggatt

to afiggatt
Speed HD. It's unwatchable in SD on my HDTV.

Tarheel72
join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX

Tarheel72 to afiggatt

to afiggatt
said by afiggatt:

Outdoor Channel 2 HD? (not sure if anyone carries this channel)
As a side note, I was in Best Buy one day and they had a HD loop running and it included several minutes of the Outdoor Channel 2 HD. It was very impressive. I think D-TV has indicated this will be added to their HD tier this year, and it is carried on several cable systems and on the C band (for free I think). Here is some info I found:

Outdoor Channel 2 HD was officially launched on July 1, 2005. The new, all HD network features exclusive new content filmed entirely in high-definition, in addition to select fan favorites from the existing "The Outdoor Channel" programming, all filmed entirely in real (not up-converted) high-definition.

fiosuser2007
@dom.com

fiosuser2007 to afiggatt

Anon

to afiggatt
MGM HD
TBS HD
Sci-Fi HD
Smithsonian HD
Cartoon Network HD
JMikeF
join:2005-05-05
Alexandria, VA

JMikeF to afiggatt

to afiggatt
Thanks for the thread - here are mine:
Discovery HD (part of the Discovery channel HD group)
History Channel HD
Sci-Fi HD
Science Channel HD (part of the Discovery channel HD group)
Animal Planet HD (part of the Discovery channel HD group)

jdoe7890
@verizon.net

jdoe7890 to SeattleMatt

Anon

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

This thread is like an inner city kid wishing for a pony.

It just isn't happening.
LOL. One sane poster.
legalaliens
join:2007-02-23
Fairfax, VA

legalaliens to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Aren't there any Comcast boards you can post on?