Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brjones
Premium
join:2007-10-15
Sugar Land, TX

My Windstream 4200 box is dead - no DSL ;(

Called Windstream DSL Support on the phone again 10/16/2007(which is tele-menu hell!). Some chongo at Windstream closed my trouble ticket but I still do NOT have a DSL connection as my DSL RTU is bad! So bad Windstream service continues. Nice to close trouble tickets when the problem is on-going and not resolved, what a way to run a company...

It all started as, Alltel is now Windstream in Sugar Land, Texas. Some service seems to have improved "at least we get dial tone". I moved to 6m/384 DSL and it ran quite well since April. On 10/10/07 my Speedstream 4200 DSL "modem" went down and now the DSL LED blinks on occasion but no solid connection. I've checked the filters, reset the 4200, etc. I Windstream service tech came early out in the morning on Saturday 10/13/2007 but we must have been upstair and missed him. Bad for me since now I have been down for five days! All I need is a replacement 4200, bought one on e-bay for $25 so this will not happen again. Windstream has advised they will replace my "Windstream" 4200 under warrenty but how long does it take???

You mileage may vary...;) I need the bandwidth!

AnonymousOne3
Former Broadband Rep

join:2007-08-04
Salina, KS
Only tech support or a field tech can determine if your modem is bad. We just dont replace them to replace them, they cost $100 a pop. If you are on your first year of service or have extended your dsl contract and it has been determined by tech support or a field tech that your modem is bad, call us at tech support 1.888.292.3827 and we can replace the modem. Dont be surprised if you are asked questions about it if the dsl light is not on, we need to make sure its either something on the line or not a bad filter before just sending a new modem. If you havent...try unplugging all phones from all jacks and plug the dsl modem directly into the jack. Try taking the dsl modem to another jack in the house (pc does not have to be connected to test that). If that still does not work, give us a call.
--
Maybe if I work on my "accent"...I can keep a job!

BusGod

join:2007-10-17
Warner Robins, GA
reply to brjones
Call them back.....The call center in India will in fact send you a modem. I had it done for me. My 5200 lasted a couple of years. At first I was told I could not get one without paying or extending my contract.

I simply asked him for his full name and his supervisors name. He asked why, I told him "I want to ensure when I call the business office tomorrow you were the people that caused me to cancel the service I had for 4 years". I had the modem in the mail that week. A new 4200.

As far as the Post wbbout only a windstream techinician can determmine the status of a modem, that is simply mis- judging your customers. Some of us are very educated and can determine the issue.

I dont want to sound like I am holding Windstream over the barrell here, but wake up people. If the government opened up competition (deregulated), Windstream would fail with its current policies and network issues.

I want to see Windstream take their network seriuosly. I dont seem to get that feeling any longer.

AnonymousOne3
Former Broadband Rep

join:2007-08-04
Salina, KS
said by BusGod:

As far as the Post wbbout only a windstream techinician can determmine the status of a modem, that is simply mis- judging your customers. Some of us are very educated and can determine the issue.
I never said anyone was uneducated and trust me that is so far off from misjudging, we simply can not just take someones word the modem has gone bad. I get numerous calls a day that start out with "my modem is bad, I need a new one" when simply enough all that was needed was a power cycle or a reset. If I replaced every modem just based off the "I need a new one" and didnt troubleshoot the issue, I would be replacing probably 10-15 modems a day. There are some customers that do know what they are talking about and im sure know more than me as they have probably been networking for half their life, the difference is...we are able to see the dsl network much better with the tools we have. Since every customer is not on the same level as you or I, we have to do things at a medium. Period.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to brjones
said by brjones:

On 10/10/07 my Speedstream 4200 DSL "modem" went down and now the DSL LED blinks on occasion but no solid connection. I've checked the filters, reset the 4200, etc.
So how do you know your 4200 is dead? How did you check the Filters and what DMM setting did you use? Obviously your 4200 does not fit the normal, no LEDs work at all (not even blink) when power is applied, dead scenario meaning since you posted only the DSL LED blinks a bit (which means it cannot find DSL Signal, but it is a working Modem and will work fully when DSL Signal is restored). Are all the other LEDs working? If yes, it is most likely a good 4200 and you have just lost your DSL Sync Signal. Have you tested for DSL Sync out at the NID Test Jack?

Regards,

Doctor Olds
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to BusGod
said by BusGod:

Please read what was actually posted.

said by AnonymousOne3:
Only tech support or a field tech can determine if your modem is bad.
That statement was clearly meant if you want a replacement authorized and sent out by Windstream then they have to make the determination, but when you skip the details, that kind of error happens. 80% of the posters that say their DSL Modems are bad based on just the DSL LED being off and/or flashing on-off in a pattern are simply wrong. As in flat out mistaken when the other LEDs show a it is truly a functional Modem. I do not work for Windstream so you can't say I'm sticking up for anyone, but I'm basing my comments on 8+ Years DSL Experience and assisting thousands of users.

Now if you want to go buy a DSL Modem on your own based on all LEDs are still working except for the DSL LED in the OP case (which is blinking meaning looking for signal, not bad) then go ahead as you will end up with two (2) working Modems with the DSL LED blinking as the loss of DSL Sync Signal is not caused by the Modems and the Modems are not bad. A typical bad DSL Modem does not power on at all and no LEDs work at that point.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

GomerPyle3

join:2007-06-09
reply to brjones
"Call them back.....The call center in India will in fact send you a modem. I had it done for me. My 5200 lasted a couple of years. At first I was told I could not get one without paying or extending my contract.

I simply asked him for his full name and his supervisors name. He asked why, I told him "I want to ensure when I call the business office tomorrow you were the people that caused me to cancel the service I had for 4 years". I had the modem in the mail that week. A new 4200."

Heh.. woulda tried that with me I woulda gave ya my name and number abd repeated it 5 times till i was sure ya had it written down correctly... Then i still woulda told ya the bounds for replacing a modem. and if you persisted and asked for a supervisor, they may have sent you a modem but still would have made you troubleshoot it first.

and the fact that you had a 5200 instead of a 4200 to start plays a factor. because windstream is trying to weed out the old 5200 modems so when the new network kicks in only the 4200's will be able to use it because of teh firmware in them.

words of advice. never threaten the call center person. 1. they usually chuckle about it because we hear that all day long

2. they tend to strickly adhere to BOS at that point and NOT go the extra mile for you.

that willl happen anywhere. BE NICE REMEMBER you called them for help.. being an arse will get you nowhere fast.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

(topic move) My Windstream 4200 box is dead - no DSL ;(

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 2 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »OT

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
reply to brjones

Re: My Windstream 4200 box is dead - no DSL ;(

Don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll post somewhere else. This is for Dr.Olds because I do need some help with my problem as well.

----------this is not a hijack

Good day!
Josh

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON
reply to Doctor Olds

(topic move) My Windstream 4200 box is dead - no DSL ;(

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 2 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »4200 box problems

JRitzee

join:2005-12-18
Malcolm, NE
reply to brjones

Re: My Windstream 4200 box is dead - no DSL ;(

Last night my DSL light shut off. After figuring out that the wall jack was bad and fixed it, my dsl light still wasn't on. Tech came out this morning, checked the NID OK, said the jack was bad and replaced it. Still no DSL light but his tester showed it ok! Replaced the modem and it now works. This was a 5200 although not a 4200.

So with the Power and Ethernet light ON and no dsl light the modem CAN be bad but you should not jump to conclusions until a tech comes out.