how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

karlmarx

join:2006-09-18
Chicago, IL

The more they tighten their grip

The more the developers will find a way to get around it. The easiest solution would be to tell the client to IGNORE RST packets. That's what comcast is ILLEGALLY DOING. This is no different than an operator listing to your phone call, and saying to both parties "I've got to hang up now".

Of COURSE the developers will build an application to get around this. Don't be surprised if the next version of your favorite torrent client has the ability to ignore RST packets, and continue to communicate. There are MANY other ways to establish the status of the communications, but RST is the standard way to end a conversation.

Comcast will continue to spend billions trying to stop something they CANNOT STOP. Period. As long as I have the ability to address my information to another host, I can send it. If I NEED to, I can encrypt it, so they CAN'T tell what it is. If I REALLY need to, I can encapsulate it in a standard protocol like http, which they CANNOT block. PERIOD.
--
Stick it to the MAN. Support your local torrent sites. Proudly providing 100mb of upstream for all your TV, Movie, and MP3 needs.

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE
said by karlmarx:

The more the developers will find a way to get around it. The easiest solution would be to tell the client to IGNORE RST packets. That's what comcast is ILLEGALLY DOING. This is no different than an operator listing to your phone call, and saying to both parties "I've got to hang up now".

Of COURSE the developers will build an application to get around this. Don't be surprised if the next version of your favorite torrent client has the ability to ignore RST packets, and continue to communicate. There are MANY other ways to establish the status of the communications, but RST is the standard way to end a conversation.

Comcast will continue to spend billions trying to stop something they CANNOT STOP. Period. As long as I have the ability to address my information to another host, I can send it. If I NEED to, I can encrypt it, so they CAN'T tell what it is. If I REALLY need to, I can encapsulate it in a standard protocol like http, which they CANNOT block. PERIOD.
I don't think its that they want to Stop it, they just need to manage it untill other (Docsis 3.0) remedies are available.

Anon99999999

@harvard.edu
reply to karlmarx
Wanna bet they cannot stop http

It's called a proxy server so all your packets will need to traverse it and be approved by the content filtering agent.
end of open http as we know it

Here's the techincal description of a common unit

»www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc···5pdn.htm

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to karlmarx
said by karlmarx:

The newest beta of Azureus has the ability to ignore
these forged RST packets. By setting the encryption to
level 5, it can get around Sandvine traffic shaping.

And so the cat and mouse game continues.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)

jvanbrecht

join:2007-01-08
Bowie, MD
reply to Anon99999999
Not really, you just start encrypting the traffic, and the proxy can eitehr drop all traffic it cannot read (will never happen), or pass it along. Additionally passing your traffic through a proxy is technically illegal, especially when people do banking online (yes its encrypted, but thats beside the point), and other PII related data may traverse the network. If they start to degrade encrypted traffic, you can bet your ass the politicians will crucify comcast.. hell they should be already, but thats a topic for another day.

MikeR

@12.44.13.x
said by jvanbrecht:

If they start to degrade encrypted traffic, you can bet your ass the politicians will crucify comcast.. hell they should be already, but thats a topic for another day.
As much as I wish this was true....

I doubt it
»www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/···01.shtml

ross7

join:2000-08-16
said by MikeR :

said by jvanbrecht:

If they start to degrade encrypted traffic, you can bet your ass the politicians will crucify comcast.. hell they should be already, but thats a topic for another day.
As much as I wish this was true....

I doubt it
»www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/···01.shtml
Well, that was disgusting! Fucked over by the Telcos through the FCC, and now the inJustice Dept. chimes in on the side of evil...