join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

SpaethCo to EverAndAnon

MVM

to EverAndAnon

Re: Net Neutrality is NOT about being protocol neutral

said by EverAndAnon :

Managing a network is one thing. Falsifying network data/packets to defraud your customers is another.
Ok. So what's the difference in net effect if they filter this traffic by blocking it outright vs closing the connection with TCP resets?
rahvin112
join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

rahvin112

Public knowledge. If they admitted and were forced to put in their advertising that they toss the packets, instead of denying they do it and sending forged packets, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Consumers would be able to make real decisions about what service they want and whether they wish to stay with a provider who is making determinations about what kind of traffic they will allow to pass.

Under the policy Comcast is currently operating under they don't even acknowledge that they are intercepting the communication and interfering with it. This leads people to believe that the problem isn't with the Comcast service. To me it's fraud, it should be an announced policy that is forced to be carried in their advertisements so consumers can make informed decisions about their Internet provider. The real test on how fraudulent the behavior is relies on whether Comcast would be willing to make the knowledge public. In fact their own careful wording and pseudo-denials indite their fraud. They won't talk about it publicly because they know it will cost them customers. That's what's dirty about it, and that's why it should be illegal. The policy is in every single way counter to what they say and imply in their advertisements.

It saddens me every time people get up and defend what is essentially false advertising. As a country we were pioneers in making sure that advertisements were truthful and supported by fact. Thanks to the political polarization of this country pioneered by the Neo-cons we are abandoning all the ideas that made this country strong. Ideas like truth in advertising and use of the public airwaves for the public good.

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

Combat Chuck to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
said by SpaethCo:

Ok. So what's the difference in net effect if they filter this traffic by blocking it outright vs closing the connection with TCP resets?
No Bittorrent if they go the other way. Someone call the Judean People's Front, crack suicide squad.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
said by SpaethCo:

See my post here. I think it answers question. Though your phasing "net effect" suggest a dismissal of ethics, legality, customer relations and intelligent technical management.