spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Ncc1701
join:2004-03-09
New Hyde Park, NY

Ncc1701

A change from the Norm...What do you LIKE about FiOS

Thought this would be a nice change from most threads on this board that have nothing nice to say about FiOS

The DVR is a mess, The HD Lineup is inferior, the IMG is a disaster, HDVOD is nonexistent and the billing is a nightmare. Now lets hear what you LIKE about FiOS...
Hooper
Premium Member
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO

Hooper

Premium Member

1. Getting a service tech out the same day you call with an issue.

2. The internet service.

3. ESPNU carriage.
bgtimber75
join:2006-06-23
Columbia, MD

bgtimber75 to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
The internet service is rock solid and the actual TV signal has always been reliable.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to Ncc1701

Premium Member

to Ncc1701
Multiroom DVR and On Demands
robconrad
join:2007-04-20
Middletown, DE

robconrad to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
Picture Quality, Internet service reliability, onDemand.
Ncc1701
join:2004-03-09
New Hyde Park, NY

Ncc1701

I'm sure the folks at Verizon who read these boards appreciate the compliments (We're not all a bunch of whiners and complainers)
Personally I think fios is the best bundled "Value" on a cost/benefit basis. And the wife is crazy over having Ondemand after being deprived so long with Sat.
flashcore
join:2007-01-23
united state

flashcore to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
Picture quality, Internet service, selection of SD channels

SqueeksDad
I Miss Her
Premium Member
join:2002-09-14
Hyattsville, MD

SqueeksDad to Ncc1701

Premium Member

to Ncc1701
The pause/fast-forward etc... while watching VOD, no long lag between pushing button and reaction from the show, compared to scumcast.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
The internet portion has been rock solid for over 2 years, picture quality is great (when not pixellating)- sorry but I had to add the qualifier so I guess it's a half compliment on the TV side. That being said, I still consider it growing pains and will try to be patient with a relative "newbie" to the video side.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

I've never had a service outage in 2 years.

I only had one issue. The Actiontec died. I had a replacement 13 hours later.
jr461
join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ

jr461 to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
said by Ncc1701:

Thought this would be a nice change from most threads on this board that have nothing nice to say about FiOS

The DVR is a mess, The HD Lineup is inferior, the IMG is a disaster, HDVOD is nonexistent and the billing is a nightmare. Now lets hear what you LIKE about FiOS...
Inferior is a relative term. Yes, compared to DirecTv, FiOS's HD lineup is inferior. However, compared to Cablevision, despite adding those Voom channels (none of which seems appealing to me) and TBS HD (with no more HD now that their baseball coverage is over), FiOS has a way superior HD lineup. Cablevision, the other cable option where I am, still doesn't even have HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN2 or NFL Network (HD or SD!), and I'm not sure if they have Food or HGTV in HD either. Yes they have Mojo....I've seen it - we're not missing much (except "3 Sheets" which I enjoyed).

I like the DVR operation (old software) and picture quality, especially SD compared with Cablevision.

I like having the on demand counterparts of the premium movie channels at no extra cost.

I liked the installers - professional, courteous, thorough and neat.
robjlevin
join:2002-10-30
Medford, NJ

robjlevin to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
PQ is second to none and the internet service (I may just go for that 20/20 tier) can't be touched by anyone right now.
Hound7
join:2006-03-08
Princeton, NJ

Hound7 to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
The 20/5 Internet Service is the best ever. Was with a friend yesterday who told me that while using his Bloomberg
this week in one day this week, Comcast/Patriot Media cable went out six times. The telephone service is excellent. Never goes out like VOIP cable phone. The TV PQ is excellent and I
get CSN Phila HD, YES HD and SNY HD (until it disappeared
yesterday and Phila and NY locals in HD.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

1 edit

JPL to Ncc1701

Premium Member

to Ncc1701
Best PQ I've seen. Best SD lineup around (yeah I want an extended HD lineup, and I'm really waiting for HD VOD, but they have more SD channels than anyone else around here). HD included in the price. Best bang for your buck. Multi-room feature on DVR. VOD service. I even like the DVR. And I've had nothing but positive experiences with their customer service.

Oh yeah, and rock solid, and fast, internet service.
wdbrjr
join:2007-06-07
West Chester, PA

wdbrjr

said by JPL:

Best PQ I've seen. Best SD lineup around (yeah I want an extended HD lineup, and I'm really waiting for HD VOD, but they have more SD channels than anyone else around here). HD included in the price. Best bang for your buck. Multi-room feature on DVR. VOD service. I even like the DVR. And I've had nothing but positive experiences with their customer service.

Oh yeah, and rock solid, and fast, internet service.
+1 on all accounts except for the DVR and specifically the guide data (not reliable). I think I am headed the route of TIVO myself.
Teddeli
join:2006-12-06
Merrick, NY

Teddeli to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
My first ten reasons for liking Fios are 1-10:

it's not Cablevision.
After that:

Price
Clearer picture
Faster and consistent internet speed.
eric87m
join:2003-12-07
Washington, DC

eric87m to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
HDNET!! The movies they show are awesome. I know lots of other carriers have it, but I had Comcast and Comcast is never getting HDNet. The video quality is awesome too. I know someone who captured it, and said it's full bitrate, 18Mbps.

And of course, the internet speed is just amazing for the US. With 20/20 we are 1/5 of the way to Japan's speeds!

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to Ncc1701

Premium Member

to Ncc1701
stability of the service. I've had the internet for two years, TV a year and a half. Only had one outage in the entire time. and they made sure I knew what happened. The few times i've had to call for something, i never had to hold more than 5 minutes or so that I can remember, and the csr was always pleasant and helpful.

my interet speeds I get at advertised or better, tv pic quality is excellent.

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium Member
join:2007-01-20

Technogeez to Ncc1701

Premium Member

to Ncc1701
PQ
10/2, 24/7/365
Clear phones.

noping
no route to host
Premium Member
join:2007-01-09

2 edits

noping to Ncc1701

Premium Member

to Ncc1701
said by SqueeksDad:

The pause/fast-forward etc... while watching VOD, no long lag between pushing button and reaction from the show, compared to scumcast.
I was watching a Chris Rock special on HBO VOD last night and kept running into this problem - hit play while fast forwarding and it kept going.

"Free/included" VOD with your premium channel subscription, unlike Cablevision.
DVR with the old software does what it's meant to do: record stuff.
Telephone reps at the FSC: Useless when it comes to diagnosing more advanced or chronic problems but generally helpful.
said by Ncc1701:

There's a reason for why some of us have "nothing nice" to say about FiOS (TV)...

That being said, I have no major issues with the data or phone services except for the two or three outages due to equipment failure. Phone service is more or less the same compared to "traditional" copper+POTS, no major improvements in sound quality.
rrsportsc
VZretired03
join:2005-12-12
Bohemia, NY

rrsportsc to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
Internet excellent... Phone excellent... TV excellent...

AND IT's NOT CABLEVISION...

When I worked for Verzion ( retired after 34 years ) Cablevision was a customer and they were the biggest pain in the ass... Hate them...
sameshtdd
join:2006-01-04
Teaneck, NJ

sameshtdd to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
1 - HBO/Showtime On Demand included in packages
2 - Not Cablevision
3 - Price value for TV alone
4 - Price Value for Internet
5 - (HD is not an issue for me, dont have an HDTV) - more channels than cablevision tier for tier

Apparently CV is getting a bad rap on here :-p

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

1 edit

icemannyr1 to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
1. PQ of SD Movie channels is much better then Cablevision.

2. Having channels Cablevision does not offer, ESPN U, NFLN,
CNNi, ABC News Now, Discovery Health, Fit TV,and DIY.

3. Only one outage of local channels only since service install in April.

4. Only one outage of internet service.

5. Though not directly related Verizon Voice Wing VOIP phone service works great via FIOS.

6. DD 5.1 audio on SD Movie Channels.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to Ncc1701

Premium Member

to Ncc1701
said by Ncc1701:

The fact that there has never been a Weather related outage the entire time I have had Fios.

Lot's of other problems, but NOT ONE related to Weather conditions.

Comcast's service would typically go out at the mere Forecast of bad weather.

Dish and DirecTV service always goes out in heavy rain, snow or dense fog.

Steve101
@verizon.net

Steve101 to Ncc1701

Anon

to Ncc1701
Rock solid service - no outages
30/5 internet is really 30/5! Comcast upload was
at best 768k and their internet really got slow
around 5 - 6 PM every day.
Picture Quality beats comcast even on the local
channels which are SD.
All of the FIOS techs that I have seen (1 installer,
2 cable card installations) have been top-notch.
JTBurn
join:2003-11-08
Ellicott City, MD

JTBurn

I'm still thinking. Don't rush me.
barth2k
join:2002-10-10
Pasadena, CA

barth2k to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
their usenet service, while not as great as when I first signed up, is still the best of any ISP.

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ to Ncc1701

Premium Member

to Ncc1701
For me, all the services have been solid once we got past the initial installs. Only 1 minor billing issue cropped up (so I carefully check the bill each month).

The phone service, the TV service and the Internet service have been rock solid. The multi-room DVR is a winner in the house whenever someone takes advantage of it.

At this moment, considering from start to finish, they'd get a 8.5 on a scale of 1 to 10.
bwintx
join:2005-08-21
Plano, TX

bwintx to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
Staggeringly good picture quality.

Blazing fast Internet (with wireless router, which I didn't even know was part of the deal before the installer showed up with it).

Using the DVR -- which ain't as cool as my kid's Tivo but, considering that I had nothing like it before, ain't bad.

Getting to watch DVR shows in other rooms. That is really cool. [If only there were a way to see the HD content on other SD sets in the house, even if only downsampled in some fashion, but I know the SD STBs just don't do that. Maybe someday...]

And, in my case, the fact that IMG 2.0 hasn't gotten to my area yet. [Sorry, couldn't resist.]
hofs1
join:2007-10-12
Little Falls, NJ

hofs1 to Ncc1701

to Ncc1701
1 It's not cablevision
2 Real internet speed all the time.
3 Kids love the free kids stuff on demand.
4 Wife likes the weather widgets.
5 Series recording option.
6 Multiroom DVR
7 Did i say Its not cablevision.