spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

de

@direcpc.com

how do I move one computer to another room?

I have two computers in the same room hooked up to Hughes.net satellite. We have a Linksys wireless-G Broadband Router and the Hughes box. I want to move one of the computers to a room at the other side of the house, how do I do this? Can I do this? Any help is appreciated

CMoore2004
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Jonesville, MI

Just move it, and buy a Wireless G USB adapter. You can get a PCI adapter, but you have to know how to install it and I prefer the USB ones that come with a cable so you can transfer it between PC's and you can position it for the best signal.

Here's an example of what I mean...
»www.tigerdirect.com/applications···tId=2688

They also have PCI cards that come with antennas you can move around.
--
Charter 5M | Windows XP MCE SP2 | Mobile AMD Athlon 64 4000+ | 1.5GB RAM | ATI Mobile Radeon X600 128MB | 120GB HDD

de

@direcpc.com

Thank you! What do I do with the blue wire that connects my computer to the router? Do I not need the connection with USB adapter?

CMoore2004
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Jonesville, MI

Correct. That's the reason they call it wireless.

de

@direcpc.com

muchas gracias!

Island Jeff

join:2005-07-18
reply to de

Or if you prefer just get a longer ethernet cable in place of the short one you have now

(the advantage of wired are simplicity, economy (if it's easy to run the cable) and transfer speed if you're moving huge files between computers, though this makes no difference if you're only using the Internet with both computers as the slowest cheapest wireless solution for connecting computers in your house is still faster than the satellite speed)
--
Wildblue in Lake Michigan | Color Printing Forum
Unhappy with noticeably slower secure sites, higher latency due to 11/17/06 firmware changes