how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Blackbeen

@buckeyecom.net

1 recommendation

BEX P2P Full speed 2 to 7AM ONLY as of 10-11-07

I've been a loyal customer of this cable monopoly since well before cable internet access was available in this area & presently shell out around $125 a month to them for basic cable, phone & BEX 7.0.
Right now I would gladly drop their sorry excuse for service in a second if I wasn't unfortunately to far from the AT&T dsl node to be able to subscribe to anything but the base tier of service.
Why? as 10-11-07 any P2P traffic from approximately 7AM to 2AM next day is so severely choked it is barely worth running & I'm not talking about a 10-20k cap (which would be bad enough in itself...) this is a drop from 60k up to a flaky 5k as soon as the clock hits 7 & on the down end you are lucky to receive flaky downloads of around 30k.
There are ZERO issues with my application settings or port forwarding as their arrogant & deceptive tech support seemed so keen to imply in the hush, hush to keep this packet filtering on the lowdown (If they are indeed even wise to it them self’s...). The activity is the same on or off router.

During the 19 hours of subpar service as for as »speedtest.buckeye-express.com/speedtest.html is concerned the connection is fine & you can browse the internet, read e-mails at peek speeds to your heart’s content but forget about down/uploading anything.
This isn't an issue of a bad line or modem, both checked out fine, this is an issue of a piss poor company too cheap to render even close to the services they advertise since serious competitors have yet to service in this area.
I'm not asking for T1 speeds just what I pay for.

Done_Posting
Shoot to kill
Premium
join:2003-08-22
Toledo, OH

Hiya, Anonymous!

Two things:

a) First, you are an idiot... and I'm not just saying that because your rant oozes with "tin foil hat" conspiracy nonsense. I honestly feel that you simply don't know what you're talking about.

b) I routinely get over 5 Mbps on well seeded torrents, as do several other BEX users I've talked to. On occasion, I have managed to fully saturate my 10 Mbps connection with P2P traffic (when Suse 10.2 came out I maintained 10 Mbps for the duration of the entire DVD ISO torrent). I'd be happy to do it again and post screenshots if you don't believe me.

Okay, so maybe calling you an idiot is a little harsh. "Misinformed" may be more appropriate. My point though is that in spite of traffic shaping (which I agree does occur on BEX), it is still possible to achieve reasonable P2P throughput. I firmly believe believe that there are other circumstances involved in your poor P2P performance -- whether you're aware of them or not.

Well, best of luck to you in your crusade to bring down the evil Buckeye Empire (the "piss poor company" as you put it). Keep fighting the good fight and stick it to the man!

- Tate

--
Happiness is an OC-48 in your basement...

Blackbeen

@buckeyecom.net

Sadly buckeyes are not the only ones: »hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/···=DEFAULT
To use this sort of hardware: »swik.net/User:anushshetty/engadg···ity/knvl
But I heard the creator wore a tin had so I wouldn’t give this much credence…

Regarding point b)
To repeat what I said, for the past week (like clockwork) at 7 AM P2P traffic drops from 55-60k to 5-10k on the upstream overall until 2 AM the following day & I too can post screen shots of this to prove the clock like precision. Between 2&7 AM transfers flow as they have normally have 24 hours a day for at least the last year with the reasonable amount of ebb & flow during high traffic times of day. So now transfers are roughly a 1/5 of what they were prior to this last week. Users I regularly connect to at consistent speeds w/o a hitch (& have done so for eons) on Soulseek have & dropped from 100k to a flaky 10k all day long (this is all users not just some random out of the blue connection). During these periods I must note that speed tests at the BEX test page read normal & web browsing is as fast as can be, the bandwidth is there it’s just not being used (Gee I wonder why...) I DO NOT consider this to be 'reasonable P2P throughput' if you do that's fine by me I could care less…
If you think I am misinformed please DO bring on these pearls of networking wisdom to enlighten the dark cave of ignorance I live in, otherwise please ignore this post I have zero interest in Springer like web flames & I'm well aware of your posting here & I'm so, so surprised at your prompt response.
But PLEASE don't assume that I'm too dim to know how to forward ports on a router or set the most common of settings on any given Torrent or P2P application like the Tech Support at BEX did OK?

Done_Posting
Shoot to kill
Premium
join:2003-08-22
Toledo, OH

1 edit

Click for full size
quote:
If you think I am misinformed please DO bring on these pearls of networking wisdom to enlighten the dark cave of ignorance I live in, otherwise please ignore this post I have zero interest in Springer like web flames & I'm well aware of your posting here & I'm so, so surprised at your prompt response.
No.

As you already pointed out, I have many DSLR posts under my belt, a great number of which deal with traffic shaping. My days of offering assistance to BEX users ended after I got sick of hearing the endless pissing and moaning from the same group of people over and over. Want my pearls of wisdom? Check the archives.

Regarding the links you posted, the first one is simply a rehash of what's been said on DSLR a thousand times over the last half decade; traffic shaping exists and is becoming a widespread means of network resource management. So? The second link is admittedly more interesting (I love pictures of expensive networking gear), but BEX does not use NetEnforcer products. They do use similiar equipment though, which Vonage and other latency critical application users should be thankful for.

Look, I know how this thread is going to play out. You're going to start telling me how BEX needs to upgrade their network in order to support more P2P traffic. You'll cite the fact that you pay "X" dollars per month for "X" speed, and you'll tell me how you're being robbed if you don't get "X" speed 24/7. I'll counter by explaining that broadband is a shared resource which is subject to traffic shaping as your ISP sees fit, regardless of your opinion. I'll probably tell you to screw off and go purchase a T1 if your P2P activities are that important to you. This same old back and forth "Springer-like" web flame as you put it will continue ad nauseum. We're in agreement on one thing -- I too have zero interest in pursuing this with you, as you're clearly a critic of the service whereas I am a proponent.

I will end my side of our little feud by saying that for the most part, BEX service offers what I want (with the exception of a beefier upstream) at a price I can live with, and is the best choice for me. Feel free to disagree, feel free to call me a dickhead -- I don't care. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to browse BTJunkie and The Pirate Bay...

- Tate

EDIT: Attached screenshot

--
Happiness is an OC-48 in your basement...

Anon Name

@buckeyecom.net
reply to Blackbeen

I too had problems w/ speed dropping to a crawl at a specific time of day, seemed like somebody was taking over my connection. Had Tech out to the house, he found where the cable entered the basement wall, the cable had rubbed thru the polastic and exposed the Sheilding. Guess at a certian time of day, the humidity was causing the problem.
He ran new cable from source box into the house. Havent had a problem since. Just curious as to maybe around 7am is dew causing your problems in a similar way as mine was.
KR

Blackbeen

@buckeyecom.net

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately buckeye checked the lines & swapped the cable modem on Friday & it didn't change a thing, as I had suspected.
The cable guy was very helpful & willing to assist (unlike the majority of arrogant phone tech support I have dealt with at buckeye) but most of these line guys don't know much beyond checking the cables & installing the hardware.
As I write my total bandwidth usage is hovering around 10k up & down but I'm sure when 2AM traffic rolls around it will flow as normal.
As much as I hate to I'm considering opting for the only tier of dsl available 1.5/256 I had a trial a month or so ago & given the low speed of the connection it was solid (& $20 vs $50). I worry that AT&T might soon take up similar packet shaping practices though as this seems to be the trend in North America these days, so...

william berry

@buckeyecom.net
reply to Blackbeen

btw it has been affecting my ps3's network connection i seem to get disconnected or signed out often and downloading demos and such on the psn network took forever by forever i mean around 8 hours for a 1 GB demo

william berry

@buckeyecom.net
reply to Blackbeen

I also do agree with blackbeen thats its been a major inconvenience in the least at least let me have 50kB of down speed sheesh im not a major downloader by any means its unfair how they shape the traffic for p2p whereas ftp and regular traffic doesnt get affected.

PaulieFresh

join:2006-04-26
Rossford, OH

1 recommendation

reply to Blackbeen

Well, I do have to agree with you that there was some pretty intense traffic shaping/throttling going on for a few days or so. It seems to have disappeared though so there's no complaints from my end really. While they're still offering paltry upload speeds, they ARE serving us with some of the best speeds in the entire state, or at least that I know of. I remember when I tried to haggle with a phone rep guy and I said, even if I front the money for the upgrade (which I offered some insane amount I would never actually pay) they said there was no way to boost my upload speed. Then he slipped with a speed increase that was "coming soon". That was over the summer though, and soon to a company is something like 6-8 months, maybe even a year. If you ever take the time to, try search for buckeye articles on the internet. You'll see interviews with higher up people there talking about some of the products they've just purchased and are implementing. Then just go and search for those products, learn how they work/what they do, and imagine what can come from it!

Also, why don't we start getting this forum more active? Like come on, there are all these people that claim to be dis-satisfied with buckeye's service, so come and voice your problems here! After all, it is a free forum, and it's here for us to talk on it, and you never know, maybe someone that works there that isn't biased might stop by and give you helpful information

wruckman
Ruckman.net

join:2007-10-25
Northwood, OH
reply to Blackbeen

Every ISP I have ever used has used P2P throttling. But I can't expect T1 or higher speeds for $40 a month connection.

To be honest, 99% of the time I do get full bandwidth or close to it. I do see issues with seeding torrents sometimes but that is expected.

Plus, to get around traffic shaping all you have to do is encrypt your traffic because traffic shaping cant read your packets. Unless your ISP decides to rate limit encrypted connections. But that would be a mistake because they wouldn't know what they were limiting.

You can also purchase VPNs from other ISPs in other countries that don't have the P2P restrictions thus encrypting your traffic and bypassing filtering.

But you have to know what your doing and understand how the technology actually works before you could figure this out on your own.