Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

prichma13
Premium
join:2005-11-23
San Ramon, CA

2 edits

[Speed] workaround for Comcast Throttling issues.. (torrent)

I cannot take credit for this as I found this tip a bit ago (but cannot remember from where/whom)....

If you use a router where you can edit IPTABLES, the following command will drop the reset packets at the router before coming into your network and hitting your torrent client:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport *x* --tcp-flags RST RST -j DROP
- where *x* is the port used by your BitTorrent client

Comcast is my ISP, and I use a Linksys Router loaded with the DD-WRT software (www.dd-wrt.com). When I do not have the above entered into my IPTABLES, I experience throttling issues and my uploads/downloads come to almost a halt after 30 minutes or so. When I do have the above entered into my IPTABLES... no problem! I currently have 9 torrents seeding with each averaging 20.1 kB/s up (which is my upload bandwidth limit). I am downloading another torrent averaging 157.9 kB/s down /\ 52.3 kB/s up.

Mod Note: Please keep it in one thread ---> »Comcast is using Sandvine to manage P2P Connections

notajive

@comcast.net
I have tried your solution in terminal is osx and this is what i get

Last login: Mon Oct 22 20:04:01 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!

machine:~ notname$ sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 6113--tcp-flags RST RST -j DROP

sudo: iptables: command not found

machine:~ noname$ any suggestions should i have to do anything else bubt paste that line into terminal (6113 is my port)

zfod_mtv

join:2004-01-09
Sunnyvale, CA

notajive, that would be because 'iptables' is Linux-based ( Netfilter ). More specifically, 'iptables' is the tool to manipulate Netfilter tables, chains and rules.

You'll want to read up on 'ipfw', which is the BSD-based firewall which is included in Mac OS X.

You can do the same lunacy as above, drop all TCP RSTs for dest port 6113.

Take care.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Of course, since the resets are sent in both directions from the middle of the conversation anything you do on your end is purely wasted effort. This suggestion will only work if everyone running BT implements this filter (highly unlikely).

It might appear this works because, according to Comcast, the upstream connection interruptions change in intensity based on how busy the network is.

-Eric