All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

whereishelpicon
@buckeyecom.net

whereishelpicon

Anon

Is BEX Throttling Some of My Video Games?

Okay I really don't want to piss anyone off or anything but I think BEX is starting to throttle a game I play called City of Heroes. I've never had packet loss issues in this game until yesterday. And amazingly, during the times that another poster said torrent traffic is throttled and only at full speed during 2 to 7 AM. That I'm fine with, I'm usually downloading all my torrents over night anyways. The problem is that I think City of Heroes is being throttled as if it were torrent traffic. About an hour ago when I logged into the game I didn't notice any packet loss at all and I wasn't lagging a bit. Even the tools in the game to check your connection to the servers said my connection was fine. As soon as 7 AM rolled around I started getting just massive packet loss and it was almost impossible to play.

Could this just be a mistake? Or did I play the game too much and BEX decided to throttle it? I've ruled out spyware and other internet connectivity problems. This is happening to nothing else on my computer, even ventrilo maintains a normal ping. I know it just sounds absurd but theres absolutely nothing else I can think of. I have never had this problem till yesterday and nothing has changed with the game or my computer set up between then.
Done_Posting
Shoot to kill
Premium Member
join:2003-08-22
Toledo, OH

Done_Posting

Premium Member

Re: Is BEX Throttling Some of My Video Games?

There are known problems with Ventrillo on BEX, at least at the moment. The same thing happened about a year ago -- you may want to check the Vent (and even the WoW) forums because a helpful BEX engineer was communicating with frustrated users there.

As far as City of Heroes goes, I'm not aware of anything that would affect that. Do you happen to know what ports you're using for the game?

- Tate

whereisHELPicon
@buckeyecom.net

whereisHELPicon

Anon

I guess you misunderstood. I'm having no problems whatsoever with Ventrilo. My Vent pings are perfectly normal.

City of Heroes uses UDP Ports 2104,2106,6994 and TCP Ports 7000-7100.

I just checked now that I'm home and I'm still getting massive packet loss with the game's servers. Enough to where I get frequent disconnects from both the map servers and database servers. But strangely, nothing else is having issues.

Thanks for any help you can give, maybe if it is being throttled you'll be able to get it removed as I can't see a video game's use can be as taxing as torrents.
Done_Posting
Shoot to kill
Premium Member
join:2003-08-22
Toledo, OH

Done_Posting

Premium Member

No, I didn't misunderstand, but I should have clarified. There is known issue with Ventrillo on BEX, and I wanted to let you know in case you were seeing any symptoms with it. Kind of a heads up, if you will. Since yours is working properly, please ignore my comment.

If your game is using the ports you posted, then I can't think of a correlation with anything that might be getting shaped. You definitely shouldn't be seeing packet loss. Shaping works by delaying inbound and outbound P2P (or whatever) packets, but doesn't actually drop them. They're just made to wait in line behind other "more important" stuff like VoIP and HTTP traffic. The fact that you're actually seeing dropped packets leads me to believe there's something else going on, like perhaps a bad route or something.

The first thing I'd do (if you haven't already) is eliminate everything on your end before going any further. If you have a router, bypass it and plug your game machine directly into the modem and try your game again. If the problem still exists, then I'd examine any software firewalls or proxying antivirus programs you might be running, such as Avast. Once you rule those out, then I'd take it a step further and give BEX a call, and just let them know about the trouble you're experiencing. If you mind your manners and don't get pushy, there's a good chance they'll open up a Tier II ticket for you which may help get your issue resolved. Unfortunately, if it does get to that point, then things are completely out of your hands and you'll have to rely on them to try to figure out what's going on.

In any event, best of luck. I know how frustrating your situation can be.

- Tate

wruckman
Ruckman.net
join:2007-10-25
Northwood, OH

wruckman to whereishelpicon

to whereishelpicon
It is entirely possible that BEX throttling is affecting your connection although this is HIGHLY unlikely. I used to work for BEX and did see the occasional problem arise (like WOW or ventrillo) but I am pretty sure the issue must lie on your end as I play City of Heros all the time and have absolutely no issues.

I would say that you should eliminate all possible hardware and software that could stand in between you and the internet connection and then run wireshark and capture some data packets so you can see exactly what is occurring on your end.

whereisHELPicon
@buckeyecom.net

whereisHELPicon to whereishelpicon

Anon

to whereishelpicon
It seems to have cleared up but I still found it extremely strange as again, nothing has changed on my computer during the entire time.

Thanks for help though guys.