uniqs

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

2 edits

Omega

Premium Member

Why doesn't New Orleans have speed limit signs?

About three week ago, I was in New Orleans for a wedding. I was the lucky one who got to drive my family to and from the hotel to the city. One thing I noticed is that New Orleans seriously lacks traffic signs.

Excluding I-10, I think I saw about 2 actual speed limit signs in the whole city. I remember driving up canal street - a 3 lane road and wondering if the speed was 25 or 35.

Same thing goes with the French Quarter. Would it kill city officials to put up the simple "cross traffic does not stop" signs under the stop signs so I know if some crazy taxi driver is going to smash into me or not?

Such simple traffic notifications would make driving in the city so much safer - especially for out of towners like me.

All I can say is that after driving in that city, Cleveland traffic doesn't seem so bad.

boognish
Premium Member
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA

boognish

Premium Member

Traffic signs are probably the least of the worries there right now. I am guessing there are higher priorities on how to spend the money to get the city back on its feet.

mjf
MVM,
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
ARRIS NVG510

mjf to Omega

MVM,

to Omega
Divided streets (with neutral grounds - islands in the middle) are 35 MPH all other streets are 25 MPH unless posted otherwise e.g. Wisner Blvd is 45 MPH.

All 4 way stop intersections have a "4 way stop" sign at the bottom of the Stop Sign. If you do not see that, the crazy taxi driver will smash into you.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

said by mjf:

Divided streets (with neutral grounds - islands in the middle) are 35 MPH all other streets are 25 MPH unless posted otherwise e.g. Wisner Blvd is 45 MPH.

All 4 way stop intersections have a "4 way stop" sign at the bottom of the Stop Sign. If you do not see that, the crazy taxi driver will smash into you.
That's the thing, they don't.

mjf
MVM,
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA

mjf

MVM,

They do.