spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cj412

@medcity.net

Webhosting, using UVERSE

Is it possible to host a server/ web server using att uverse. (no there will not be a whole lot of traffic, and yes electricity is really cheap in san antonio) they say they issue u a static IP.?
I recently signed up for att uverse -FTTH they say they issue u a static IP for your services. does the gateway attched to the house a problem.

Its crazy that i have fiber running to my house but i can only use 6mb of it for the net.

MarkyD
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Oklahoma City, OK

are you paying extra for the static IP? Last I checked static IP's are not available with UVERSE.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
reply to Cj412

I am hosting a website right now without any problems. I have a dynamic IP, but it has only changed once in the almost 8 months we have had U-verse. The reason why it changed was because they swapped out our RG. This is the closest thing to a static IP without actually having one. I do have a DDNS client running just in case though.

mediacoretex

join:2004-11-14
Naperville, IL
reply to Cj412

No they will not assign static ip address to UVERSE. You must cancel UVerse (TV+Internet)get there FTTP DSL. Or thats what they told me....

X_Digit
Binary Enhanced
Premium
join:2003-06-12
Mansfield, TX
reply to Cj412

Bull... I have 5 sticky IPs w/ my Uverse service! You all are talkin' to the moron reps. Keep callin' back, you'll finally get somebody who half-way knows what they're doin... will take a few dozens hang-ups, but you'll get there!
--
Respectfully, X_Digit

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

How much extra for the sticky IP's?

X_Digit
Binary Enhanced
Premium
Mansfield, TX
reply to Cj412

It's $15 more a month for 5 IPs (though the guy I talked to said there were talks to reducing that to $8). If they have reduced it, it hasn't appeared on my bill that way! Lemme know! =P
--
Respectfully, X_Digit

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

Its probably as expensive to host (static IP's) as it is to have an ISP host.

»secure.dslextreme.com/Medusa/Hosting/
--
Canada = Hollywood North

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Cj412

said by Cj412 :

Is it possible to host a server/ web server using att uverse. (no there will not be a whole lot of traffic, and yes electricity is really cheap in san antonio) they say they issue u a static IP.?
I don't know about the options with U-Verse. However, I run a mail server on a dynamic IP address. I use Dynamic DNS Network Service, LLC; their "Custom DNS" service. Their "Dynamic DNS" service is free with one of their domains; but, if you are bringing your own domain, the price for "Custom DNS" is reasonable ($25.95 per year).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

lonebandit

join:2001-12-01
Oak Creek, WI
reply to Cj412

I have never known statics to be available.
DSL, yes - but not u-verse.

Perhaps someone can chime in here from AT&T with verification, but the last 2 people 'around here' that work for AT&T stated that this has been talked about but not available. I have also spoken with 3 local Engineers/Managers and this option is NOT available.

Not that I am doubting the poster, but it would be excellent to see proof (somehow) - maybe via ARIN records of some type to actually see if this is indeed the case.

Or, maybe HERE in the midwest we are still subject to the SBC territory rules on statics.

It would be nice to have statics, but typically unless an RG is swapped - you retain your IP.

-JD

kirby14

join:2007-07-07
Blue Springs, MO

No one said they had static IPs, just that you can have more than 1 sticky IP.

AuroraGuy

@sbcglobal.net

Sticky IPs?
Is that a legit word?

heh.

Sticky...static?

Sounds like static. Technically its either dynamic or static. Not sticky. I am 'guessing' the OP meant STATIC.

I will investigate this though for sure. A group of static's would be very welcome.

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

1 edit

said by AuroraGuy :

Sticky IPs?
Is that a legit word?
Yes. The assigned IPs are not static in the traditional sense.

houkouonti

@plala.or.jp

anyone know how those sticky IPs differ from static IPs? Is it like static except not guaranteed to never change like you get notice or something if it does? I myself have never heard of a 'sticky ip'

MarkyD
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK

said by houkouonti :

anyone know how those sticky IPs differ from static IPs? Is it like static except not guaranteed to never change like you get notice or something if it does? I myself have never heard of a 'sticky ip'
I'm fairly certain that the IPs are still assigned via DHCP...so not really "static" in the traditional sense.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to houkouonti

said by houkouonti :

I am pretty sure that "sticky static" refers to something akin to the MAC address reservation of IP addresses my router provides. In the case of my router, the DHCP server has a table of MAC addresses which are designated to get specified IP addresses. They are still assigned by the DHCP server, but always to the same device, by MAC address association. Not sure how they do it from the ISP perspective. But not static in the normal sense of the word.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

apeface

join:2000-09-16
Mckinney, TX
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to Cj412

There are no "sticky IP" for Uverse, let alone 5 of them. If you have 5 ip addresses, you don't have Uverse. Without getting overly complicated, you get 1 DHCP assigned IP address that will more or less never change.

There were plans in the works for static addresses but I haven't heard talk of it in over a year.

X_Digit
Binary Enhanced
Premium
Mansfield, TX

1 edit

WRONG... I'm in Mansfield, and I'd be happy to allow you a drive over and prove to you myself!

Lemme see if I can find my last Uverse bill, and scan the portion where it states I have the sticky IP plan. If not, I'll definitely do it on my next bill.
--
Respectfully, X_Digit

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

I wouldn't mind seeing that either. This would be the first time I have ever heard of a static IP actually being assigned to a U-verse customer. Not that I don't believe you, but there is a first for everything I guess.

Don't forget, if you have U-verse you can view your bill (and even a PDF of your paper bill) at »uversecentral.att.com.

MarkyD
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK

said by koolkid1563:

I wouldn't mind seeing that either. This would be the first time I have ever heard of a static IP actually being assigned to a U-verse customer. Not that I don't believe you, but there is a first for everything I guess.

Don't forget, if you have U-verse you can view your bill (and even a PDF of your paper bill) at »uversecentral.att.com.
I want to see this, too!

Enlightener

join:2006-01-28
Cedar Park, TX

O.k, it's time for put up or shut up. I'm really interested in seeing who's got the scoop here also.

X_Digit
Binary Enhanced
Premium
Mansfield, TX

1 recommendation

reply to koolkid1563

Click for full size
Thanks, I didn't know that... =P Here's a screenie... if you all need ANYTHING else, lemme know. Apparently, it's called "Static IP 8", and from the discussion I had w/ the tech when I got it... only 5 of the 8 were actually usable IPs (as the rest w/ assigned to hardware) or something. Hell, I don't remember. Apparently, it's $15 a month! =P
--
Respectfully, X_Digit

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

1 edit

So then, does your RG have 8 (or 5) different IP's registered to it on this page under Internet Connection Details? »192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=B02

Another place to check could be this page: »192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C07

Does it show anything in the WAN IP mapping other than router WAN IP address?

If you went to all of your computers and went to »/whois, do you get different results?

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to X_Digit

ROTFL... I'll hate to play poker with you :) everybody called your bluff and you produced a 'Royal flush' LOL.

Could you post a picture of this page »192.168.1.254/management then 'local network' then 'configure'

Do you have under the 'Bridge network' something like this?

Allow broadband IP addresses to be used on the local network. 
Broadband Network: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 
Subnet Mask: 

If you have statics configured in your gateway the broadband network should read something similar to this '66.x.x.104/255.255.255.248' (for 8 static IPs.)

Assigning the static addresses to inside computers is simple just go to »192.168.1.254/management then 'local network' then 'Address allocation' The currentlty connected computers should be listed in the listbox.

* Depends on which firmware you have in your GW.

MarkyD
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to Cj412

this thread just got interesting.
--
MCSE, ACSA, and a lot more

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
reply to etaadmin

Raise, Fold? I'm still waiting for that 'screenie'

lonebandit

join:2001-12-01
Oak Creek, WI

1 edit
reply to X_Digit

Ok - so this seems legit. WTF ?

I have sent this thread along with his snapshot to two high up's here in Milwaukee.

Everyone at AT&T keeps claiming this doesn't exist.
But now - we have proof...right?

{this just in} - from one of the local Managers who is rather high up as I mentioned before..

================
JD,
Sorry for the delayed response. Have been chatting with a lot of people. I'm being told it was doctored and we don't have it as an option.

Sorry

If I hear anything else I'll let you know. I still have some additional feelers out there..

================

So...it gets interesting. We would need better proof...like another is asking for. Shots from the RG as well as (ideally) the IP range to verify this as well as reviewing the ARIN records associated.

-JD

apeface

join:2000-09-16
Mckinney, TX
kudos:3

3 edits
reply to Cj412

The static IP option is not available on the production network and it is not being sold to the consumer now.

I personally have never seen a static config in any router, provisions made in any system, heard anything about it being implemented anywhere, or seen a single subnet allocated for static ip. From where I sit and what I do, my bunch would be among the first to know.

I am not going to argue with this person. Either you are an employee or are part of a test group from att and Alcatel or you are fudging.

It got this from someone who has a current list of promos, as of 8/07.

Additional Information
o Applicable taxes and surcharges will apply.
o AT&T Static IP and Pricing (Not Available at this time)

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY
reply to lonebandit

That is interesting indeed...especially if this person is paying $15/month for something that doesn't even exist (yet).

MarkyD
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to Cj412

I'm waiting for this guy to come back with some screen shots of his RG pages. As for it being "doctored" I doubt that...however, we have no way to know for sure until he comes back and provides us with more info.
I would not be surprised if he somehow got this provisioned when it was not supposed to be active on the production network...but there's a loophole...?
I don't know. I've seen stranger things happen from AT&T, that's for sure.
--
MCSE, ACSA, and a lot more