Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Nerdtalker

MVM

[POLL] Which Cable Modem is Best for Comcast HSI?

Well, it's that time again for all the Comcast HSI folks! With a lot of help from and thanks toJohkal See Profile, it's now time for the annual "Best" modem poll to help future users who are looking for a modem, people interested in ditching their rental, or simply just for those interested in finding out what the all-around best option is.

The instructions are pretty simple, just vote for which one you think works best with Comcast HSI. After voting, post with both your selection and why you consider the modem you said was "best" to be the best modem. Posts that detail original specific features/aspects of the modem that make it "best" are what we're after.

Note that we've included DOCSIS 1.0 modems that are 1.1 upgradeable, so there are quite a few.
Poll
Which Cable Modem is Best?

Ambit U10C018

Arris CM450a

Arris CM450b

Belkin F5D5530-W

Best Data CMX300V2

CastleNet CXC150

CastleNet CXC250

CastleNet DP1110XB2

D-Link DCM202

Linksys BEFCMU10 v2

Linksys BEFCMU10 v3

Linksys BEFCMU10 v4

Linksys BEFCMUH4

Linksys WCG200

Motorola SB4100

Motorola SB4101

Motorola SB4200

Motorola SB4220

Motorola SB5100

Motorola SB5101

Motorola SB5120

Motorola SBG900

Motorola SBG1000

Motorola SBV5120

Motorola SBV5220

Netgear CG814W

Netgear CG814WG

Netgear CG814WGV2

Netgear CG814M

Netgear CG814Mv2

RCA/Thompson DCM215M

RCA/Thompson DCM225/226

RCA/Thompson DCM235

RCA/Thompson DCM245 / 245R

RCA/Thompson DCM305

RCA/Thompson DCM315

RCA/Thompson DCM325

RCA/Thompson DCM425

RCA/Thompson DHG525

Scientific Atlanta/Webstar DPX100

Scientific Atlanta/Webstar DPX2100

Scientific Atlanta/Webstar DPC100

SMC SMC8004CM

SMC SMC8013WG

Terayon ECM615 / TJ615

Terayon TJ715 / TJ715x

Terayon TJ716x

Toshiba DAZ8813F (PCX1100/1100U)

Toshiba PCX2000

Toshiba PCX2200

Toshiba PCX2500

Toshiba PCX2600

Zoom 5141

Zoom 5241

Other

Votes:156

TDNickell
Premium Member
join:2006-09-26
Federal Way, WA

TDNickell

Premium Member

I voted for the SB5100,because it has been rock solid for the past three years.
It handles borderline signals and SNR problem as good if not better then any modem out there.
The draw backs on the SB5100 is lack of information like you can get with the Linksys modem's and for the most part the log files are useless crap.
And as "Gump" would say."That's all i got to say about that"!

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Chris 313 to Nerdtalker

Premium Member

to Nerdtalker
I voted for the SB5100. I've had this modem since my original RR install nearly 4 years ago and the modem itself has never missed a beat.

When it dies or I upgrade to Docsis 3, I'll be sorry to see it go.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

1 edit

Robert to Nerdtalker

Premium Member

to Nerdtalker
My vote is for the Linksys BEFCMU10 v4.

Aside from the fact that it's a rock solid piece of hardware, it's stackable on top of other Linksys routers AND it displays the provisioned rates that I pay for.

TDNickell
Premium Member
Federal Way, WA

TDNickell to Nerdtalker

Premium Member

to Nerdtalker
There are two other modems on the list that i have used over the years,so i will give you a report on those.

My first modem from AT&T@Home was an RCA DCM215.
I used this modem from Dec.2000 until Mar.2004.
It was a solid modem,with one drawback.The power cord plugin was crap.If you would pick the modem up or just bump it,it would go off line,but to me not knowing any better i put up with it for along time.

By the time i turned in the RCA DCM215,we were Comcast,and they gave me a brand new MOTO SB5120,which was a solid modem with 64 QAM.
Seven months later when our area was upgraded to 256 QAM,i started having problems with dis-connects,game lag and slow page turning.
So i took it back to the Comcast Center for exchange,but all they had were more SB5120's.
It was then i decided to buy my own modem,the MOTO SB5100 that i still use today
End of story!
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to Nerdtalker

Premium Member

to Nerdtalker
I am on Cox HSI, but they use "Powerboost" technology that is licensed from Comcast, so I believe that my experience is relevant. I find that the Motorola SB5120 delivers excellent performance.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman to Nerdtalker

MVM

to Nerdtalker
I have a Moto SB5100. Rock solid modem, never has missed a single thing in the last 3 years I've used it. Moved to 2 different metro areas served by comcast with this modem and everything I've thrown at it, it takes it and wants more. Durring the short time where Comcast's powerboost was "broken" and would not shut off (permaboost) I was able to get 4.21MBytes/sec with this modem.
Sparhawk6
join:2002-02-04
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

Sparhawk6 to Nerdtalker

to Nerdtalker
This is a silly poll because no one has tried all those modems, and will simply vote for their modem if it has been pretty good.

TDNickell
Premium Member
Federal Way, WA

TDNickell

Premium Member

said by Sparhawk6:

This is a silly poll because no one has tried all those modems, and will simply vote for their modem if it has been pretty good.
That's really all you can do!

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to Sparhawk6

MVM

to Sparhawk6
said by Sparhawk6:

The whole point of the Poll is to see what modems Comcast customers are using. It benefits the many topics that ask:

Which modem should I get?
What's the best modem?
Need opinions on which modem to use.

Nerdtalker
MVM
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to Sparhawk6

MVM

to Sparhawk6
said by Sparhawk6:

::shrug:: Well, obviously nobody can try all the modems, but the objective here is simply to find out which one most people are using, how they like it, e.t.c.

I for one like the BEFCMU10 V.4, which is currently tied with the SB5100, which is also great.

Let's keep it up!

myanonname
@itasoftware.com

myanonname to Nerdtalker

Anon

to Nerdtalker
I had been running a SB5120 in one of their markets and never had an issue at all in years of living there. Two months ago, I moved just to the other side of town, and that same modem caused me upwards of 30% packet loss and really bad latency.

Now I am back to renting one of their little scientific atlanta modems, which fixed my issue of packet loss/latency.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to Nerdtalker

Premium Member

to Nerdtalker
The topic is really; (What modem do you use with Comcast HSI)

Nerdtalker
MVM
San Jose, CA

2 recommendations

Nerdtalker

MVM

said by Ripper:

The topic is really; (What modem do you use with Comcast HSI)
Not necessarily. At one point in time, I had a rusty old SB 4200, but the "best" modem for Comcast would've been the SB 5100.

What the objective is here is to have something to point people to in the FAQ as well as for the obligatory "which modem should I get" threads. The stats speak better than anecdotal stories of say, "this modem is better than my last one."

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 edit

YukonHawk to Nerdtalker

to Nerdtalker
I upgraded from the SB 4100 to the SB5101 back in Sept of this. I had the SB4100 for about 7 years and that thing was rock solid, but it could not pick up Powerboost. The SB5101 sees the PB and it rocks!!

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to Nerdtalker

to Nerdtalker
SB-5120. Two years plus and rock solid. By the by, the SB-5120 *does* support 256QAM (with the proper config file; mine does) and PB (in both directions; I get a reliable 9250/2048 on the speed tests, I'm on the Performance Plus tier). It's the second Moto modem I've owned (it replaced my SB-4100).

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
join:2003-06-13
NH

QuakeFrag to Nerdtalker

Premium Member

to Nerdtalker
Ive used both a Linksys BEFCMU10 (v2, v3, and v4) and a Motorola SB5120. All have worked wonderfully for me with zero problems.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

2 recommendations

lilhurricane to Nerdtalker

Numquam oblita

to Nerdtalker
SB5100 - a true workhorse

Nerdtalker
MVM
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker

MVM

Well, these are pretty interesting results if you ask me. I would've never guessed that the BEFCMU10 V.4 would have come third, behind the SB51XX series. Granted, the SB51XX series irrefutably is the #1 modem in terms of raw popularity.

I guess we'll add this to the FAQ!

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

2 edits

Ripper to Nerdtalker

Premium Member

to Nerdtalker
It's not really surprising,being that Motorola has been at the top of the modem market for a long time.Almost any store you go to that has cable modems,has the Motorola brand.See this link on numbers sold: »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· =1&site=

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to Nerdtalker

MVM

to Nerdtalker
I voted SB5100.
4 years and not one hiccup.

Now, this new ARRIS TM502G is also a whoop-ass modem(eMTA too).

It actually allows me to pull an extra 300kbps upstream during PowerBoost.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Now I'm curious why your Arris would be more efficient on the upstream. Have to research that now.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

No idea.
More resistant to noise?

When tech was here installing it, he asked me to fire off a speed test - I hit Nitro(Santa Cruz NDT) and I noticed 1.8mbps vs my "normal" 1.5mbps PowerBoost upload.

I like it!

Still have the Moto, still works like a champ too!

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

Looking at the specs on both was interesting.

SB5100
Downstream Data Rate: 38 Mbps
Upstream Data Rate: 30 Mbps

TM502G
Downstream Data Rate: 42.88 Mbps
Upstream Data Rate: 30.72 Mbps

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

2 recommendations

dadkins

MVM

42 down eh?
My new goal!

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

2 recommendations

Johkal

MVM

If anyone can, you would be the first since the Boost gods love you to death!

jkj860
The Final Frontier
join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

jkj860 to TDNickell

to TDNickell
said by TDNickell:

I voted for the SB5100,because it has been rock solid for the past three years.
It handles borderline signals and SNR problem as good if not better then any modem out there.
The draw backs on the SB5100 is lack of information like you can get with the Linksys modem's and for the most part the log files are useless crap.
And as "Gump" would say."That's all i got to say about that"!
Ditto for me.

sarg3
join:2007-07-20
Aliquippa, PA

sarg3 to Nerdtalker

to Nerdtalker
I was told by a Tec Super that the Scientific Atlanta was the best that comcast offers , but he might be wrong..

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I wouldn't agree with that. Opinion!
marctronixx
join:2003-09-08
Los Angeles, CA

marctronixx to Ripper

to Ripper
where can one purchase a BEFCMU10 version 4? does this model look physically different from the earlier versions? best buy onlines site does not list this version 4, nor does frys or circuit city. would appreciate any help....