Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Acuity

join:2002-06-22
Londonderry, NH

3 edits

Notice of Claim Copyright Infringement?

The odd thing about this is that I pay for digital cable with OnDemand so I can watch pretty much anything I want. My friends all have Netflix so if it isn't OnDemand, I'll get it off of one of their 4 DVDs at a time. But now I'm getting a letter of infringement for some movie that I never downloaded?

I don't get it, did anyone else have something like this happen to them? I have an unsecured wireless, but it's never on unless I really need to use it. Oddly enough, it said the infringement time was in the hours of the morning when no one is even home. The only thing the internet could've possibly been doing was being used as an RDC connection for passing files to and from work.

I've heard of the diciest getting copyright infringement letters but I never really believed it. I'm am the only user of this internet connection that could possibly have a clue as far as how file sharing is used. Worse yet, the movie was a chick flick, oh how horrible is this... my reputation shall be tarnished. Why couldn't it be something like Saw 4?

Edit: It appears as if that date was just when the notice was sent. The actual date was when I was home and probably on the computer to look up my stocks or play Yahoo! Towers. How lame. I really want a hardware address for where this originated from.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

said by Acuity:

I don't get it, did anyone else have something like this happen to them?
I believe so, yes.

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Has anyone received a warning from Comcast concerning infringement?
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

hadirtyJlo

join:2004-03-31
Elk Grove, CA
reply to Acuity

Oh yeah. I've actually gotten 4 of them, all of them false. I've never said I didn't download TV shows and movies, I won't lie, but I am pissed to be accused of downloading something I never would, i.e. an episode of CSI, or any TV show in Hi Res. I have no need for a 700mb copy of a 40 minute TV show, that's just stupid when the 350mb copies look perfect . My wireless isn't open, wpa2 and all that, and the neighborhood I live in is mostly older people, so I'm pretty sure no one's trying to steal it. Plus the infractions all happen late night when I'm passed out.

DJ

Acuity

Londonderry, NH

2 edits

Thanks for the link sortofageek, and DJ, I hear you on that one. I don't live in the city so maybe there's one person within range of my wireless that would know how to use it and they have enough trouble checking their e-mail. And just FYI, I would take CSI over something like Princess Diaries any day. I'm sure Brokeback Mountain is next. They're going to love this one at work tomorrow.

I'll probably think more rationally about this when I wake up on Monday but I'm so pissed off right now. I'm thinking about going to the BBB with Comcast then canceling and going to DirecTV and FIOS.

bunny

@comcast.net

-1 recommendation

reply to Acuity

I received one as well for a movie I've never even heard of before. I didn't respond to the email or anything. I just deleted it and figured nothing would happen. Nothing did happen in the end so it is all good.

It turns out that cable is very easy to hack to get free internet. All you do is scan using an IP scanner to get a mac address for a random cable modem in a random city that is the same ISP. It sounds kind of ludicrous but comcast leaves this info public to anyone who can use an ip scanner. Also, the config file for what speed is listed for some people as well by just using a scanner. Anyways, someone modifies a cable modem, spoofs the mac address to some other random person, and then they are online as long as the person they copied keeps their account. If not they will need to scan for a new mac address. The problem with this is when you spoof someones mac address you spoof their ID as well. This way when they get caught for copyright infringement someone else takes the blame and they are scot free. Even most trace routes will display the wrong area the person is with a spoofed mac address. It is perfect for anon even more then a proxy.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

Have you been drinking ?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

said by EG:

Have you been drinking ?
I'm guessing at least 8 deep.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

fdfdfgdf

@clearwire-dns.net
reply to bunny

said by bunny :

I received one as well for a movie I've never even heard of before. I didn't respond to the email or anything. I just deleted it and figured nothing would happen. Nothing did happen in the end so it is all good.

It turns out that cable is very easy to hack to get free internet. All you do is scan using an IP scanner to get a mac address for a random cable modem in a random city that is the same ISP. It sounds kind of ludicrous but comcast leaves this info public to anyone who can use an ip scanner. Also, the config file for what speed is listed for some people as well by just using a scanner. Anyways, someone modifies a cable modem, spoofs the mac address to some other random person, and then they are online as long as the person they copied keeps their account. If not they will need to scan for a new mac address. The problem with this is when you spoof someones mac address you spoof their ID as well. This way when they get caught for copyright infringement someone else takes the blame and they are scot free. Even most trace routes will display the wrong area the person is with a spoofed mac address. It is perfect for anon even more then a proxy.
LOL

K Patterson
Premium,MVM
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to EG

Man, you always beat me to the good ones.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

Hey Kip. Lurking here on a Saturday night is the key !

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

*cough*
Topic ---> Notice of Claim Copyright Infringement
*cough*

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Acuity

I expect that this could happen as a result of a transcription error. **AA agent sees IP address aa.bb.cc.dd as an uploader in a P2P action. Agent fires off a DMCA complaint to Comcast, identifying the offending uploader as having IP address aab.b.cc.dd. Comcast doesn't question the source of the complaint, just forwards it to the customer who had IP address aab.b.cc.dd at the time of the infringement.

I don't think you even need to worry about these DMCA notices. If you feel a need, you could provide Comcast with the counter evidence to dispute the **AA claim. OTOH, if it is a result of a typo, you probably would never get another.

If the **AA really thought that they had a case, you'd be receiving a certified letter from their attorneys advising you that they are seeking legal action.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

WickedWinter

join:2003-08-02
USA
reply to Acuity

Did the notice include the IP address? They usually do.

Was it your IP address? I make note of mine, since it only changes about once a year.

It could have also been a transcription error on Comcasts part.

Acuity

Londonderry, NH

1 edit

It was definitely mine. Since I got the letter I've tried to e-mail Comcast back but haven't gotten a reply yet or heard anything else about it. You're right about the infrequency of it changing, but I still have a hard time remembering it so I just use DynDNS. Comcast also left a phone number I could call them at and I might try that tomorrow.