how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Richard1864

@verizon.net

1 recommendation

Actiontec MI424WR Firmware Update

There is a new firmware update for the Actiontec MI424WR. The new version is 4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4.3. You can get it from here - »www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec···ntec.asp. From what I can see so far, the main change here is update to make the gateway compatible with the new Daylight Savings time changes that go into affect this year. I'm not sure what other changes are made yet.

typhoon87

join:2007-03-05
Buffalo, NY

1 edit
Wonder if it fixes the xbox 360 wireless issues. NYCDAVE stated I think on page 8 of the 360 thread that a a patch was issued for testing and should be ready in a few weeks. So all the people with the microsoft adaptor should will be testing like mad.

I will patch my router tommorrow and check for obvious diffrences, maybe get rid of nagging are you sure screen?

The build version is only slighty diffrent The one I am running is 4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4.

BryanOnComc

join:2007-06-22
Brandon, FL

1 edit
reply to Richard1864
Link doesn't go to any firmware

Use the update firmware check option inthe router /advanced section and it will find the latest firmware which is 4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

1 edit
said by BryanOnComc:

Link doesn't go to any firmware

Use the update firmware check option inthe router /advanced section and it will find the latest firmware which is 4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4
That link works if you are logged into Verizon.net.

4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4.3 (new)
4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4 (old)

You can put this link directly into the "check at URL" entry on the router:

»www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec···24WR.rmt

thalador

join:2003-01-21
Braintree, MA

1 edit
reply to Richard1864
The check now button on my router has never worked. Always sits there saying "Check in progress..."

The link it is set to check is »upgrade.actiontec.com/MI424WR/MI424WR.rmt - the default. Do I need to modify this?

Also - being somewhat new to this is there a changelog somewhere for new router updates?

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
ok this has got to be the most absurd rev number i have ever seen 8 dots deep? are you kidding me?

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

1 edit
reply to thalador
said by thalador:

The check now button on my router has never worked. Always sits there saying "Check in progress..."

The link it is set to check is »upgrade.actiontec.com/MI424WR/MI424WR.rmt - the default. Do I need to modify this?
Verizon does not post its latest updates to the Actiontec site. New firmware updates are only at »www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec···ntec.asp

You won't get anything from that unless you are logged in at Verizon.net.

said by thalador:

Also - being somewhat new to this is there a changelog somewhere for new router updates?
No changelogs.

Lt Belspur

join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL
reply to Richard1864
Hello All,

Installed and working. However the routers internal clock reset to January 1, 2007 1300 hours. The time sync does not work, had to enter it manually.

filter

@verizon.net
The new firmware does work with xbox live adapter. The patch fixed the previous issue of not connecting through wireless.

Yostix

join:2007-10-24
Broomall, PA
reply to Richard1864
Need to check this out when I get home from work. I cannot stand my Actiontec so far and any firmware improvement is welcomed.

avguser

join:2003-02-09
reply to Richard1864
Does anyone know if you need to set uPnP and/or port forwarding to get the XBOX Wireless adapter to work with the new patch?

OldMainLine

join:2007-04-18
Woodstock, MD
reply to danclan
4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4.3 is the third ninth-level revision of 4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4. What's so absurd about that?

To me, the fact that the firmware developers have classified code changes into nine levels of significance is pretty impressive, not absurd, and speaks to their attention to detail.

Although, I am really curious as to what change to the code base qualifies as a ninth-level change as opposed to, say, a fifth or sixth level change. "Hey, I made the OK button on the login screen one pixel wider. Let's increment the ninth-level number."

OldMainLine

Woodstock, MD
reply to thalador
Oh, it works, all right: it "checks now" when you click it. What doesn't work is the UI: you have to click Refresh in order to see the result of the check in the UI. (A classic case, by the way, of programmers forgetting that the reason we use computers in the first place is to save us steps, not them.)

ctdougster
Premium
join:2006-04-03
Newark, DE
reply to Richard1864
Yep Its the Xbox360 live wireless fix!
My wireless adapter works!

Thanks For the headsup!

new2fios

join:2006-07-20
Camillus, NY
reply to OldMainLine
As a firmware developer myself I can assure you that a 9 level revision number is patently absurd. The most I have ever seen is 4 (Microsoft), but usually code released to the public has a 2 digit revision code.

BryanOnComc

Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to KenAF
Even when I was logged in it didn't goto it, well this new link works thanks.

Regarding post above saying that the router firmware updater just sits there, you have to click refresh to see the difference after the check in progress.
--
The Maxx
max dn 22mbps / max up 4.7mbps

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
reply to Richard1864
I just installed it. Don't have an XBox 360, but what the hell...

I'll check out the DST settings in a few minutes.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

AVITWeb

join:2002-01-11
Trenton, NJ
reply to Richard1864
DST didn't get corrected for me...still says it ends Oct 28 01 and the clock is still an hour off.

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
The default dates for DST offset are incorrect for 2007 - I changed them manually and the router corrected itself after checking the NTP server. I believe the correct dates for 2007 were 3/11 and 11/4 (the clock will change this weekend I guess)

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
You're right.

I just used Google and found the correct dates and entered them myself. Then I manually sync'd with the time server and now it's all good.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
Yea, I was working with the same problem last night. The OP of this thread mentioned that this firmware update FIXED something about DST dates, so I figured the dates were correct. After considerable frustration I too went to Google info about DST.

OldMainLine

Woodstock, MD
reply to new2fios
said by new2fios:

The most I have ever seen is 4 (Microsoft)
...because that's the limit imposed by their operating and file systems.

said by new2fios:

but usually code released to the public has a 2 digit revision code.
I'm looking at the Sun Java runtime—probably one of the most deployed pieces of software in existence—and it has six levels. I regularly see open source Linux projects with five or six levels (because they don't have the MS constraint of four).

I'd submit that classifying all changes into one of only two levels of significance is not granular enough. The whole point of having multiple levels is so that one can judge the relative significance of changes between two versions; the more "bins" of significance, the better that difference can be judged.

Look, I'm not denying that, the more levels, the longer it takes to "decode" and the more difficult it is to compare two versions at a glance, and that the use of nine levels is highly unusual, but I think it is a bit harsh to call their practice absurd just because it is over some arbitrary limit that you've decided is enough.

What perhaps could be considered absurd is not publishing the criteria used to classify changes. I've never found such a source for Actiontec/Verizon. If there no context of what constitutes, say, a fourth versus a seventh-level change, the whole point of classifying is rendered useless, and you might as well just use one level. For example, as an embedded systems dev myself, I publicly document the fact that fifth- and sixth-level changes are those that have no operational significance (HMI, documentation, etc.), so a customer can instantly see that a change in one of those levels need not be retested.

GeekGirl1
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA
kudos:2
reply to Richard1864
When you upgrade, be sure to check all your custom rules- like blocking Port 4567. They may get discarded. There's a dedicated thread for rev 4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4: »[southwest] Actiontec Firmware 4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4. Good point to check about daylight savings time this weekend.

Shreed

@verizon.net
reply to ctdougster
I've seen a couple people comment on the fact that the Xbox 360 wireless connection was fixed. I have applied this patch and spoken to verizon fios support a number of times, as well as the actiontec people. Still no luck.

What am I doing wrong, I can't get past the 2nd test on the xbox live test. The xbox 360 still cannot connect to my router. Are there settings on my router that I need to configure?

Please let me know...thank you so much.

BryanOnComc

Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to GeekGirl1
Click for full size
Actually the lastest firmware is 4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4.3, fixes the problem with xbox360.

jchuan83388

join:2003-08-30
Camarillo, CA
reply to Shreed
I can connect the 360 to the AT, however during network test, xbox live still reports moderate NAT.

Cheddar

@verizon.net
reply to Richard1864
I was able to get my xbox to connect to the AT router finally with the firmware upgrade. However, the NAT does read moderate as well. What effect does the moderate NAT have to online game play?

Thanks to all of those who have contributed.

runciter

join:2000-07-22
Centreville, VA
said by Cheddar :

However, the NAT does read moderate as well. What effect does the moderate NAT have to online game play?
You will not be able to connect to all game types/hosts. You will be able to connect to hosts/friends that are open, possible moderate, but not likely strict. You may experience this in this form: you can view games and join them, but a friend may send an invite and when you join it tries to connect and then times out and says unable to join the game/game discontinued. This is likely the NAT level of either you or your friend. If you are at open, you will (should) be able to join all games.

jchuan83388

join:2003-08-30
Camarillo, CA
I've setup my XBox in the DMZ to get OPEN NAT. Does anyone know of any potential issues with doing this or a solution for the moderate NAT issue?

fios2020

@devry.edu
I spoke to a rep/supervisor, and the NAT table in the actiontec router they give us is the reason why we have so many problems. Its limited to only 1000. Which is stupid to say the least, and updating a steam server list is enough to automatically flood it and cause your connection to stop accepting new connections for minutes at a time.

Their recommendation, get a d-link gaming router which can handle 8000, or as they also put it, use Cisco(only cause I mentioned I have equipment left over from my old service which I can configure for ppp). My little cisco router has already done over 20,000 at a single time and has never let me down. So I will do this tonight or if not tomorrow morning and post my results!