uniqs

quanta
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Toronto, ON

quanta

Premium Member

Big sinkhole appears in London, Ontario downtown

Ah, I miss London. I used to live just two blocks west of Wellington/Dundas. Judging from the tiny photo, I'm guessing this sinkhole open up just outside Mac's Milk.

I think I see the abandoned Canada Trust bank building in the background:

»lfpress.ca/newsstand/New ··· sun.html

bylo
Premium Member
join:2004-05-04
Waterloo, ON

bylo

Premium Member

Which also explains why two of my neighbours were complaining yesterday that their Internet service (Execulink DSL) was down.

Giant pothole disrupts Net service
quote:
A huge sinkhole that opened up in the London, Ont., core yesterday disrupted Execulink Telecom's Internet service throughout southwestern Ontario, including Waterloo Region.

A water main burst just after 5 a.m., flooding an entire intersection and opening up a sinkhole about 10 metres in diameter.

The resulting damage to hydro vaults and lines caused a power outage that disrupted Execulink's servers in London.

The company, which now has about 50,000 customers, mostly in southwestern Ontario, quickly got emergency power to its servers.

The regional telecommunications company is based in the Woodstock area but has an office in Kitchener, as well as the servers in London.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to quanta

Premium Member

to quanta
said by quanta:

Ah, I miss London.
No you don't! LOL

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to quanta

Premium Member

to quanta
Ahh...good ol' London. The only town I've ever lived in where manhole covers mysteriously blew themselves up and through storefront windows. The only place I've ever seen where steam (at least I think its steam) is visible escaping from the sewer system no matter how hot it is outside. The only place where power outages are a guarantee every summer.

noelstrom
meh.
Premium Member
join:2003-04-07
London, ON

noelstrom

Premium Member

And don't forget, where folks from Toronto come if they feel the need to brawl at a Gentlemen's Club.

quanta
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Toronto, ON

quanta to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
Seriously, why ARE the sewers always steaming? They have a faint whiff of something like formaldehyde.

How is downtown these days? When I left in 2004, the central library just got built. Sinkholes aside, have things got better?

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya

Premium Member

Doesn't London still have a large steam pipe setup.

Griz_
Disenchanted optimist
Premium Member
join:2002-03-09
Wavecrest ON

Griz_ to quanta

Premium Member

to quanta
I see the mayor is using the opportunity to whine about not getting enough money from the Province and from Ottawa. London is becoming more like a mini-Toronto all the time.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Devanchya

Premium Member

to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

Doesn't London still have a large steam pipe setup.
yes, much of the core area uses a "system" of steam for heating and other uses.
dirtyjeffer0

1 edit

dirtyjeffer0 to Griz_

Premium Member

to Griz_
said by Griz_:

I see the mayor is using the opportunity to whine about not getting enough money from the Province and from Ottawa. London is becoming more like a mini-Toronto all the time.
exactly...and the same bunch of people who approved spending something like $1 million on flowers for western road (the road needed to be widened and paved, but they didn't have to spend all that money on "decorations")...and lets not forget about the metal trees, that were "planted" around the downtown area...more large chunks of money all to appease the "artsy fartsy" crowds.

bylo
Premium Member
join:2004-05-04
Waterloo, ON

1 edit

bylo to Griz_

Premium Member

to Griz_
said by Griz_:

London is becoming more like a mini-Toronto all the time.
So they're going to add their own Land Transfer tax and Vehicle Licensing fees just like Tronno?

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
Don't forget the artsy farsty "Welcome to London" rock garden at Oxford and Airport Rd.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by shaner:

Don't forget the artsy farsty "Welcome to London" rock garden at Oxford and Airport Rd.
yup...that's what bothers me...they complain about not having enough money for some things, which are important, yet toss money at crap like that...i have nothing wrong with making a nice rock garden welcoming people to london, but not when other needs are more pressing.

look at the irony now...a beautiful "Welcome to London" rock garden...then when you reach downtown, a 15M sinkhole because much of our infrastructure is in dire need of replacing...not much of a "Welcome to London" there.

Griz_
Disenchanted optimist
Premium Member
join:2002-03-09
Wavecrest ON

Griz_ to bylo

Premium Member

to bylo
said by bylo:

said by Griz_:

London is becoming more like a mini-Toronto all the time.
So they're going to add their own Land Transfer tax and Vehicle Licensing fees just like Tronno?
Give them time.

I really do have a soft spot for London. I used to visit friends there often from 76-90, lees often since then, and lived there from 82-85. A great city in many ways. And they aren't alone in feeling that the "great emerald cities" should have their infrastructure subsidized by the lowly little hamlets and villages.

Robert4
Premium Member
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

Robert4 to quanta

Premium Member

to quanta
said by quanta:

have things got better?
Jebus, even the earth hates London and tried to eat it, so what do you think?