uniqs

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake

MVM

Nitrogen Tanks?

A coworker of mine just returned from NYC. She said she saw tall cylindrical objects on a couple of street corners, about 5' tall or so. They had "Nitrogen" painted on them in black letters.

Has anyone seen these things? Does anyone know what they are or what they are used for?

Thanks in advance.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by seaquake:

A coworker of mine just returned from NYC. She said she saw tall cylindrical objects on a couple of street corners, about 5' tall or so. They had "Nitrogen" painted on them in black letters.

Has anyone seen these things? Does anyone know what they are or what they are used for?

Thanks in advance.
You see theses all over NYC, the "phone company" uses them, but I have no idea what for..

BTW, my friend questions the safety of these if a car/truck were to hit one, the spray of liquid nitrogen could cause instant death or "burns" to anyone unfortunate enough to be in the path of the liquid...

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5 to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
The phone company uses them to to pressure the cables.

legendNYC
Soon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-04
Jamaica, NY

legendNYC to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
It looks like someone paid $10 for this Google Answer:

»answers.google.com/answe ··· d=309530

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake

MVM

said by legendNYC:

Suckers! They should just have asked on DSLR Thanks for the information; my coworker will be happy to hear the answer, and I'll only charge her $5 for it

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme to legendNYC

MVM

to legendNYC
said by legendNYC:

Is it just me or does that seem like a rip-off? Most of the info sounded like hearsay more than answers.

I'll vote for pressurizing and drying phone cables.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
Is nitrogen flammable? I often find myself lighting a cigarrette right next to one of these tanks.

LOL!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by tired_runner:

Is nitrogen flammable? I often find myself lighting a cigarrette right next to one of these tanks.

LOL!
no

but if it does burst you wil be dead

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

It won't kill you instantly, and it won't cause you or any part of your body to freeze instantly unless you stand in it for a more than 10 seconds, I doubt if one burst anyone will stand next to it for 10 seconds and let the lquid vapor hit them.

Might be less or more than 10 seconds not 100% sure, but our bodys are above the boiling point for liquid nitrogen so technically when it touches us it will evaporate.

I doubt if these things could kill us, coned and verizon would put them up in so many places at street level.
Expand your moderator at work
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to HardwareGeek

to HardwareGeek

Re: Nitrogen Tanks?

said by HardwareGeek:

It won't kill you instantly, and it won't cause you or any part of your body to freeze instantly unless you stand in it for a more than 10 seconds, I doubt if one burst anyone will stand next to it for 10 seconds and let the lquid vapor hit them.

Might be less or more than 10 seconds not 100% sure, but our bodys are above the boiling point for liquid nitrogen so technically when it touches us it will evaporate.

I doubt if these things could kill us, coned and verizon would put them up in so many places at street level.
Friend once thought that PC duster spray ("compressed air") can be a hair remover (freeze the hair, then it shatters). I was the test dummy, even though it was a tiny blast, got a freeze burn, in a couple hours it felt like a hot iron was put to my arm. Skin started shedding eventually. Now I have a nickel sized scar. Don't play with ultra cold things kids.

Speaking on LN2ing utility lines, and its hinted in the Google Answer link, but this is me guessing, lets say you need to take a power link out, and its summer, the back up/redundant link can't handle the added load, so you freeze the redundant link, to prevent the power line from melting. This assumes its under ground, I can't see how it would be done on a aerial power line. Other cases would be to make temporary retaining walls during excavation, remember ice is like concrete (this is true for a fact). Other cases might be freezing a water pipe because there is no shut off valve and you can't install one without shutting off the water. Same idea can be applied to other "liquid in a pipe" systems.