All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
horizens
join:2007-11-03
Malibu, CA

horizens

No Wireless Signal - Linksys WRT54GS - Baffled!

Hi,

We have a Linksys WRT54GS that's been working great for a few years. Yesterday, the wireless signal disappeared but the router still works to wired computers. I've tried reseting to no avail. After restoring the factory defaults, I started just testing the unit by plugging it into a power outlet without any computers or internet connection just to test the signal. With my laptop sitting next to the unit, there is no wireless signal. I tested this is various rooms of the house. Here's the really odd part: I took the unit and laptop outside and tested and it works flawlessly there. I also tried the same test in our guest house and it works fine there as well.

We don't have a cordless phone or microwave in the area of the house that we are using it. And this has been working fine for years. Nothing significant has changed as far as I know.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

Sounds like the radio blew out and it's time for a new router.
horizens
Malibu, CA

horizens

Hmm, but it works in every other location OUTSIDE our house.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

I missed that part. Sorry.

Do you have a wireless security system? Wireless cameras? Close neighbor with them?

Try changing the channel on the router.

Very odd that you wouldn't get a signal right next to the router. Is your SSID unique ... that is, are you sure it's your wireless signal you're getting when you move the router?
horizens
Malibu, CA

horizens

Thank you for your suggestions.

We don't have a wireless security system and our nearest neighbor is about 200 yards from our house.

I'll try changing the channel on the router from the default one.

Yes, the SSID is unique so I'm sure that it's the router that I'm seeing.
stevech0
join:2006-09-17
San Diego, CA

1 edit

stevech0

On the wireless router, change channels, among 1, 6 or 11, if you suspect persistent interference.

cacroll
Eventually, Prozac becomes normal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-25
Martinez, CA

cacroll to horizens

Premium Member

to horizens
I'd use NetStumbler, and I'd test in the normal location, then outside, on all 4 sides of the house. I'd test both with the router on and off. I wouldn't rely on the WiFi client, Linksys, Windows or whatever.
»nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2 ··· ent.html
hiqutipie
join:2007-11-22
Lauderdale, MS

hiqutipie to horizens

to horizens
Hi: Wireless routers especially Linksys have to be updated & in some cases replaced when they are outdated. They don't tell you this as far as I know nor do they alert you of an update...But when your signal goes out & you think its the provider but the modem works fine... its the router you have to check...
horizens
Malibu, CA

horizens

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I changed the channel to 11 and tried again the next day and it's been working fine ever since.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to hiqutipie

to hiqutipie
said by hiqutipie:

Hi: Wireless routers especially Linksys have to be updated & in some cases replaced when they are outdated. They don't tell you this as far as I know nor do they alert you of an update
uh, no not really
naveenreddy
join:2007-11-22
+91560091

naveenreddy to horizens

to horizens
chk with the cables,and the jacks...
which could the problem to some extent
stevech0
join:2006-09-17
San Diego, CA

stevech0 to hiqutipie

to hiqutipie
said by hiqutipie:

Hi: Wireless routers especially Linksys have to be updated & in some cases replaced when they are outdated. They don't tell you this as far as I know nor do they alert you of an update...But when your signal goes out & you think its the provider but the modem works fine... its the router you have to check...
Not!