Whats This?
Premium Member
join:2000-09-19
New York, NY

EmilioG to Mr Stone

Premium Member

to Mr Stone

Re: Best Brand Mechanic's Tool Sets?

Just don't buy those crap tools they sell at PepBoys, AutoZone and Strauss Auto. What crap! If you're not a Pro, Craftsman, Husky and SK will work very well and last.

Not even Snap-On tools last the way they used to. The metal used to make Snap-On tools is not as good as the old tools.
And, not all brands make every "type" of tool one would need. Mix and match a good assortment and use the tools as intended, i.e. A ratchet is not a hammer! LOl.
I love a well made tool!

Maccawolf
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

Maccawolf

Premium Member

said by EmilioG:

A ratchet is not a hammer! LOl.
It isn't????

Digital
As-Salamu Alaykum
Premium Member
join:2000-07-24
Wickliffe, OH

Digital

Premium Member

said by Maccawolf:

said by EmilioG:

It isn't????
It is when you work at wal-mart! Weight hammer? Who needs one, let me grab the steelman ratchet! (Just kiddin, lmao.)

Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
join:2001-06-20
From hell

1 recommendation

Mr Stone

Premium Member

The input has been great. Tools needed is just for home use. I figure I will go with Craftsman. Warranty and they be a Sears on every Conner. LOL! Have been to auto mechanic school back when they made real cars. The wife asked what I wanted for X-Mass so I figured what the hell. I think Craftsman tool box's SUCK but they be other good brands to buy. I stopped buy Sears today and look at some sales on sets and I asked what they do if a ratchet needed to be replaced and was told if they had a kit they would fix it, if not they would replace it. Now keep in mind the store is not as big as my house, LOL!

Thanks again for all the input.
severach
join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI

1 recommendation

severach to Mr Stone

to Mr Stone
I recommend buying the good price to performance tools first and improve where you find the failures unacceptable. You are money ahead even if you end up replacing 20% of your Craftsman box-o-tools with Snap-on, which is unlikely. You don't get bulk discounts at Snap-on. All you get for several years of debt is the commemorative edition bottle opener.

Why has nobody mentioned that most of the Husky tool line is now made in Taiwan? It used to be good but any more all I can find that is made in USA is the screwdrivers and the non pro screwdrivers aren't very good. That dilutes the value of our existing USA Husky tools that will be replaced with Taiwan tools when they break. Taiwan tools at USA prices doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Husky tools are made by The Stanley Works. I was going to dispute your import claim. But looks like there may be some merit to it. I'll do some more research, and if the following complaint is true, I will stop using their brands. If there is one place I am 100% for American made products, it is my hand tools. I also don't like being lied to, if this is what they did.
quote:
21. Through the means described in Paragraphs 4 through 20, respondent has represented, expressly or by implication, that certain of its mechanics tools are made in the United States, i.e., that all, or virtually all, of the component parts of such mechanics tools are made in the United States, and that all, or virtually all, of the labor in manufacturing such mechanics tools is performed in the United States.

22. In truth and in fact, a significant portion of the components of certain of respondent's mechanics tools is, or has been, of foreign origin. Therefore, the representation set forth in Paragraph 21 was, and is, false or misleading.

»www.ftc.gov/os/1999/06/s ··· scmp.htm

sdgthy
@optonline.net

sdgthy to EmilioG

Anon

to EmilioG
said by EmilioG:

I love a well made tool!
Yeah, but I have a 1/2" Craftsman ratchet that wants to be a hammer. It refuses to ratchet after much torque, and I have to bang it on the ground to make it ratchet again. But it is at least 20 years old...

GlobalMind
Domino Dude, POWER Systems Guy
Premium Member
join:2001-10-29
Indianapolis, IN

GlobalMind to Mr Stone

Premium Member

to Mr Stone
said by Mr Stone:

I think Craftsman tool box's SUCK but they be other good brands to buy.
The Craftsman tool chests are/were made by Waterloo Industries, as are the ones for Lowes. Waterloo makes a quality box but if you're looking at Sears you have to remember they have a variety of "classes" of box. The cheaper ones really are cheaper if you get my meaning.

Mine is the Traxx series, ball bearings all around etc. Great unit.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to metal1

Premium Member

to metal1
I thought Craftsman were all "MADE IN THE USA" since that is stamped onto all of the Craftsman tools I've bought over the last few years.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Certainly the hand tools are. The boxes I suppose may vary.

wrenchinfool
Premium Member
join:2003-09-14
Lakewood, OH

1 recommendation

wrenchinfool to Mr Stone

Premium Member

to Mr Stone
i use my tools everyday i have snap-on,mac,matco,sk,craftman and much more for specialty reasons, if your only using them at home get craftman hand tools but ingersol air tools are what i like..ohh yeah a rachet is a hammer if its in my hand when i need a hammer

Maccawolf
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

Maccawolf

Premium Member

said by wrenchinfool:

..ohh yeah a rachet is a hammer if its in my hand when i need a hammer
So are Vice Grips

Boogeyman
Drive it like you stole it
Premium Member
join:2002-12-17
Wasilla, AK

Boogeyman to Old_Grouch

Premium Member

to Old_Grouch
Too me it doesnt matter. Of course, I work there and have helped recondition some of these things. So I know that the innards come from a brand new sealed plastic bag, and to me, the solid metal handle having some scrapes or scratches doesnt matter, seeing as how I'll be adding a few more of my own.

Though when I got my mechanics toolset, one of the sockets looked like they screwed up the chroming process, it had a big chunk of chrome on the end and a little patch near it where there was no chrome, so it looked a little off and I know it will eventually rust through. I was peaved at first, but now I'm like, meh, when/if it fails, I'll just bring it in for a new one.
stephencole
join:2007-08-21

stephencole to Mr Stone

to Mr Stone
I'm a Stanley user myself...inexpensive but gets the job done.

wrenchinfool
Premium Member
join:2003-09-14
Lakewood, OH

wrenchinfool to Mr Stone

Premium Member

to Mr Stone
heck i have even bought stuff from e-bay given it too my local snap-on or mac dealer got them rebuild or replaced they used them
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Yeah, what he said . . .