All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tgm1024
join:2007-11-04
Stow, MA

tgm1024

[modem/router] Verizon Actiontec GT704-WG is crocked by Verizon!

Actiontec GT704-WG

When Verizon rebranded this modem/router, they seem to have mucked with what this modem offers.

I'm trying to turn this thing (is there a term for this: roudem, mouter?) into just a plain modem, by placing it into "Transparent Bridge Mode". I need this to connect my Netgear RangeMax to it properly.

The verizon logo ridden HTML front-end to the settings is vastly different from what actiontec says the OEM branded modem should look like. There should be a way of establishing "transparent bridge mode" by following

Advanced Settings -> WAN Address -> Transparent Bridge Mode

There is no such setting on the verizon branded box. Inside WAN address there is merely PPPoE vs. DHCP. ARG!

***IF*** I re-flash this thing with the actiontec firmware update, is some setting going to croak?

I have a few issues with this thing, and I'll post them later. Verizon is making a mistake here for other reasons.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP. I certainly need it.
freemandc
join:2003-02-20
Washington, DC

freemandc

Re: [modem/router] Verizon Actiontec GT704-WG is crocked by Veri

I have the actiontec also. Here is what I did, I turned off the wireless option, DHCP, and also I did not put a DSL password/userid in the Actiontec. I then connected my DSL line to the Actiontec, and connected an Ethernet Cable from one of the Actiontec Ports to my Airport Extreme WAN connection.

In this configuration the Action is controlling the DSL synchronization, and my Apple Extreme is controlling my connection.

I hope this helps.
tgm1024
Stow, MA

1 edit

tgm1024

said by freemandc:

I have the actiontec also. Here is what I did, I turned off the wireless option, DHCP, and also I did not put a DSL password/userid in the Actiontec. I then connected my DSL line to the Actiontec, and connected an Ethernet Cable from one of the Actiontec Ports to my Airport Extreme WAN connection.

In this configuration the Action is controlling the DSL synchronization, and my Apple Extreme is controlling my connection.

I hope this helps.
Thanks, but what I did was the best of all worlds. I took the Actiontec firmware update (a real one---*NOT* from Verizon) and flash the thing back to what it was supposed to be before Verizon got their mits on it.

No Verizon flashy icons, No Verizon glitz, No Verizon lack of functionality.

I got "Transparent Bridge Mode" back. So I turned off Wireless, enabled the Transparent Bridge Mode, which turns off the router and makes the 704 a simple Modem-ONLY. My Netgear RangeMax now is connecting to that as if it were any other dumb-modem.

So far so good.

Recap. This is topology now, and is what I wanted:

Computers --- Netgear RangeMax (routing/DHCP/wireless) --- Actiontec GT704-WG (in "transparent bridge mode" which is modem only) --- DSL Network
sprewell
Premium Member
join:2004-09-02
Phoenix, AZ

sprewell

Premium Member

Could you describe exactly what problems you've been having? I've been having problems with this modem/router since I started using it more than 6 months ago. It will crash randomly or not be assigned a WAN IP, which is then usually assigned on a soft reboot. What's worse is that it will sometimes crash so hard that nothing short of a power cycle will bring it back. You cannot do anything else because wireless AND ethernet connections die during this type of crash. Were you having the same problems? Were they fixed once you started using it solely as a DSL modem? Did you try calling Verizon to see if they have a new firmware update? Any more info would be appreciated.

wdoa
join:2001-10-16
Spencer, MA

1 edit

wdoa to tgm1024

to tgm1024
oops never mind. I found my answer
freemandc
join:2003-02-20
Washington, DC

1 edit

freemandc to sprewell

to sprewell
I believe verizon no longer supports this modem as far as upgrading firmware. I noticed that when I use the actiontec as a dumb modem that it works perfectly, but when you use it as "wireless/modem" that some times you get connectivity issues. I'm on the 3 MEG plan, but i'm 11,000 ft+ away so my connection is marginal. When I used the actiontec's wireless capabilities, every now and then my connection would drop and then it would re-connect back up. Sometimes i had to switch the modem off/on. Now, i'm using it as a dumb modem and my connection has been rock solid ever since. And I'm pulling 333k on my downloads. Somehow I believe it is related to the wireless features that causes this modem to have issues. I notice that during long periods of operation, the free memory slowly goes down to nothing.

wdoa
join:2001-10-16
Spencer, MA

wdoa to tgm1024

to tgm1024
I just got this modem as a replacement for a Westell 327w. Major problem I noticed as the 3 computers on my network could not resolve connections to each other by name when using the Actiontec. I tried flashing the Actiontec to non Verizon modem and although it gave me added functionality (option for WPA in Wireless Security) I still could not get my computers to resolve the names of other computers on the network even though the computers were identified by name in the Router interface. Ended up going back to the Westell. The reason I had gotten another was that the Westell has the issue of occasionally locking up when using Bittorent, but I'd rather have the occasional Bittorent issue than never being able to resolve other computers on the network.
tgm1024
Stow, MA

tgm1024 to sprewell

to sprewell
said by sprewell:

Could you describe exactly what problems you've been having? I've been having problems with this modem/router since I started using it more than 6 months ago. It will crash randomly or not be assigned a WAN IP, which is then usually assigned on a soft reboot. What's worse is that it will sometimes crash so hard that nothing short of a power cycle will bring it back. You cannot do anything else because wireless AND ethernet connections die during this type of crash. Were you having the same problems? Were they fixed once you started using it solely as a DSL modem? Did you try calling Verizon to see if they have a new firmware update? Any more info would be appreciated.
I was not going to fully test out this modem/router because I saw sketchy reviews, and tried it briefly with less than stellar results. I saw that when I used it as a full modem/router my wireless notebook was somehow dropped, and then I could not get it back without powercycling the thing. And I wanted the RangeMax anyway, because it has proven itself to be

1. outstanding in terms of coverage
2. outstanding in terms of solving the microwave turned on and phone call thing collisions.
3. 99% rock solid in not requiring powercycling.

So realizing I didn't want the wireless, and also realizing that my temper would eventually make my fist pulverize the thing to plastic and circuit board dust on my desk, I opted to make the thing a modem only.

So far, so good, no powercycles needed.
tgm1024

tgm1024 to wdoa

to wdoa
Go with the netgear rangemax. I have the WPN824v1. Dunno what the other revs are in terms of quality.

You can then make the 704 a modem-only. Which seems good so far.

The rangemax is a netgear attempt at MIMO. 7 internal antennas. It really works. Nothing ever drops.
sprewell
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

sprewell to tgm1024

Premium Member

to tgm1024
Thanks for the update, tgm1024. I already have a D-Link DWL-923 that I had no problems with before so I'm going to try using the actiontec as just a DSL modem and see if I can avoid the hard reboots that way. btw, I'm running bit torrent most of the time when it crashes so that may be what's causing the problems. I wonder if bit torrent will still cause problems in bridge mode or if the actiontec will be insulated by being in bridge mode. I'll update here when I find out.
tgm1024
Stow, MA

tgm1024

said by sprewell:

Thanks for the update, tgm1024. I already have a D-Link DWL-923 that I had no problems with before so I'm going to try using the actiontec as just a DSL modem and see if I can avoid the hard reboots that way. btw, I'm running bit torrent most of the time when it crashes so that may be what's causing the problems. I wonder if bit torrent will still cause problems in bridge mode or if the actiontec will be insulated by being in bridge mode. I'll update here when I find out.
Thanks, I'll check back when I can. I'm interested in other bridge-mode attempts. Particularly from the verizon rebranded actiontecs that were flashed back to their normal (sane) firmware.
dcohn
Premium Member
join:2004-05-22
North Bergen, NJ

dcohn

Premium Member

Why not use just your switch port of your Router or wireless device and use it in asa L2 device only. If the Actiontec sucks tell Verizon to give you something else. Just plug the Actiontec or Verizon ROUTER into the LAN port of your router and plug nothing into the wan port. You do not want double Nat as it seems clear someone here is aware of that.
mypiv7
join:2006-04-29
USA

mypiv7 to tgm1024

to tgm1024
Finally configured my GT704-WG in Transparent Bridge Mode replacing my old westell wirespeed 2100. It has been up and running fine for last 2 days.
Thanks folks..

mccormrm
@verizon.net

mccormrm to tgm1024

Anon

to tgm1024
I've beeen hunting for what seems weeks trying to figure out what is the best equipment to go with wireless with my verizon dsl. i'm not that awesome with computers, but verizon international tech support seems even less knowledgeable, so i ended up here.

basically, i have a westell 2200 modem on a 3Mbit (the max in our area) connection and recently got a LINKSYS N Wireless card. I've been trying to figure out how to go wireless without losing speed. Verizon finally told me my only choices are the westell 2200 or a new 6100 with a separately purchased router or the actiontec or westell gateways (802.11g). I can't find speeds posted anywhere on the westell or actiontec modems or gateways. I know the N spec isn't final and all, but wouldn't a belkin N1 or Dlink N give me faster and further wireless speeds with less interference from other devices than the actiontec/westell's from verizon? Or does hooking it up to an old westell 2200 negate the benefit? I saw somewhere that someone preferred the 2200 to the 6100 because of the whole bridge issue. Anyone else agree? Also do routers care if the wireless card is a different brand?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

Given that 802.11g offers up to 54mbps, unless you are using a service offering such speeds, it won't matter. Where you may see a difference is in the distance. Mixing different brands usually isn't a problem with g, but I have heard that doing so with 802.11n has caused performance issues.
bscottclark
join:2007-07-30
Thousand Oaks, CA

1 edit

bscottclark to tgm1024

to tgm1024

I am getting ready to put 704 in transparent bridge mode to allow a dual band N router to take over network functions. Couple questions: 1. do i sign in with the Netgear rangemax via DHCP (as actiontec was) or PPoE? 2. does transparent bridging by pass NAT functionality? And if not, do i need to specifically turn NAT off?
BC
mypiv7
join:2006-04-29
USA

mypiv7

Connect ethernet cable directly from 704 to PC/laptop and set ip to 192.168.0.x. I disable DHCP on 704 since my WRT54GL routers takes care of dhcp. NAT is turned on on my 704 by default, kept as it is. Rest all the options are off/disabled under Advanced setup. Select Transparent bridge mode RFC... the 1st option. Once you confirmed 704 is in bridged mode disconnected the pc/laptop ether cable and connect back to your netgear router so it can get dhcp from router. Hope this help, good luck.
My 704 is working fine in transparent bridge mode with Actiontec stock firmware..
sprewell
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

sprewell to tgm1024

Premium Member

to tgm1024
OK, here's my update. I finally did the same as freemandc and configured the Actiontec as a dumb modem, by turning off wireless and dhcp (I didn't want to bother with flashing the firmware so I didn't get the actiontec firmware that has the bridge mode). I connected my own DLink wireless router to the modem and am now using the DLink for wireless and DHCP. It's been a month or so and the network's been much more stable since then, certainly no hard crashes that require a power cycle. During bit torrent operation, the Actiontec may automatically reboot itself a handful of times (probably because the routing table fills up?) and I did have to do a manual remote reboot through the web interface once. But this is still much better than the power cycle reboots that would sometimes be necessary before and have not recurred since, so I consider the problem fixed, or as at least as much as it can be with this crappy modem.