spc
uniqs

houkouonti
@plala.or.jp

houkouonti to removed

Anon

to removed

Re: Webhosting, using UVERSE

anyone know how those sticky IPs differ from static IPs? Is it like static except not guaranteed to never change like you get notice or something if it does? I myself have never heard of a 'sticky ip'

MarkyD
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Oklahoma City, OK

MarkyD

Premium Member

said by houkouonti :

anyone know how those sticky IPs differ from static IPs? Is it like static except not guaranteed to never change like you get notice or something if it does? I myself have never heard of a 'sticky ip'
I'm fairly certain that the IPs are still assigned via DHCP...so not really "static" in the traditional sense.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to houkouonti

MVM

to houkouonti
said by houkouonti :

I am pretty sure that "sticky static" refers to something akin to the MAC address reservation of IP addresses my router provides. In the case of my router, the DHCP server has a table of MAC addresses which are designated to get specified IP addresses. They are still assigned by the DHCP server, but always to the same device, by MAC address association. Not sure how they do it from the ISP perspective. But not static in the normal sense of the word.