Search similar:

uniqs

AnonProxy
Premium Member
join:2001-05-12

AnonProxy

Premium Member

Host file

Can you host file the referred to web page and re-redirect the request?

Like if you know all mistypes go to www.search.verizon.com, if you redirected search.verizon.com to another site, would that work?

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

Why go through all of that. Just use different DNS servers. They don't lock you into theirs.

AnonProxy
Premium Member

AnonProxy

Premium Member

It's more of a question than a suggestion.
As for why, the converse could be said...why not? I am not assured of faster or "better" DNS service from a "third party"
In fact in some companies (my institution for example) many fo the "alternate" DNS servers are blocked.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

I agree... there's a difference between having to 'opt out' of Verizon's or any other ISP's 'site finder DNS' vs. having to 'opt in'.

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

1 recommendation

Jodokast96 to AnonProxy

Premium Member

to AnonProxy
Speaking specifically about Verizon, yeah, you will get better service from a third party. What work does isn't really your concern, is it? You are going to use what they want you to anyway.

They do not return false results. They tell you the page can't be found and give you a list of things that may have been what you were looking for.
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco to Jodokast96

Premium Member

to Jodokast96
Better yet, type the correct freaking web address and yahtzee, no problems.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 edit

birdfeedr to Jodokast96

MVM

to Jodokast96
said by Jodokast96:

Why go through all of that. Just use different DNS servers. They don't lock you into theirs.
The redirection finally hit here. I've been checking it off and on since the topic first came up earlier this summer.

While I know that the Actiontec router for FIOS customers can use different DNS addresses, it's not yet clear how the average joe is going to be able to make the change.

And, what would you suggest they be changed to? Level3's DNS addresses?

Added: Opting out takes you to this page with instructions for changing settings in the Router. Verizon has the instructions for all their routers. »netservices.verizon.net/ ··· uct=fios

Instructions are to change the last octet of the DNS settings to .14

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

All but only the oldest of Verizons modems can change the DNS servers. Or you can simply set it in your pc's networking options. As to what to use? Some have said the 4.2.2.x servers are re-directing, but I'm not seeing it. Or you can use your own »www.ntcanuck.com
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Ahrenl to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr
They could just opt-out.

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

said by Ahrenl:

They could just opt-out.
Oh the horror! Perish the thought!

AnonProxy
Premium Member

AnonProxy to Jodokast96

Premium Member

to Jodokast96
Again for my example:
Let us say you work at an office and can not "opt out" as you do not have control of the router and you can not change your IP settings on your local machine to chose a specific DNS server (due to policy). A real example of WHY people would not be able to use another DNS service. Would doing a host file change work or not?

As well a blanket statement like "ohhh yeah you will get a better results from a third party DNS", is foolish at best.
You are in no position to judge that for everyone, everywhere, nor do you have enough long term performance metrics to prove that. I am looking for real facts, not just some feel good speculation or marketing from the companies providing alternative DNS services, do you have those?
Can you back the statement that you will be better off with a DNS service from a third party over Verizon with performance metrics?

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

I don't know whether a host file change would work or not, but in a work environment, that's for them to decide if they want to use Verizon's DNS servers or not, not the end user. That situation is truly a who the f*** cares. It affects the end user personally in no way.

I can only back it from personal experience, but try them for yourself. You'll see.

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

Combat Chuck to AnonProxy

Premium Member

to AnonProxy
said by AnonProxy:

Can you host file the referred to web page and re-redirect the request?
Yes, as long as it always redirects to reasonably small set of hosts.

Some routers allow you to override URL's too.
Combat Chuck

Combat Chuck to birdfeedr

Premium Member

to birdfeedr
said by birdfeedr:

While I know that the Actiontec router for FIOS customers can use different DNS addresses, it's not yet clear how the average joe is going to be able to make the change.
The average joe isn't going to care. The bottom line is that anyone that finds this an issue either already knows how to counter it, or has the skills to find out how to counter.