join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to morbo

Re: Bad juju

Should it be opt-in, sure, why not. But it is not having any effect at all on what you or anybody else does. Hell, 90% of the addresses I mistype anyway has already been taken by 3rd parties doing the same thing. Is it greedy? Absolutely. Unethical? Eh. And they did send notice that they were doing this. Of all of the crap for people to cry about, this isn't one of them. If you don't like it, don't use their servers. Pretty simple.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
said by Jodokast96:

If you don't like it, don't use their servers. Pretty simple.
as i just said, no it isn't. not for the tech ignorant, which is most of their customers.

SilverSurfer1

join:2007-08-19
reply to Jodokast96
said by Jodokast96:

But it is not having any effect at all on what you or anybody else does.
And you would know this definitively because?

said by Jodokast96:

If you don't like it, don't use their servers. Pretty simple.
That is beautiful advice to suggest to those of us who know better and know that there are other DNS servers out there to use. But what about the (as someone else put it) technologically ignorant?

Given what we already know about providers, it is fairly accurate to state that if they're given a millimeter, they'll take ten thousand miles. This particular matter is no exception to that evidence.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
So tell me then, what the effect is? Are they redirecting you to to another page in place of the one you typed? No. The page you typed doesn't exist. So instead you're sent to a search page, and told the page you were looking for wasn't found. This is nothing more than a money grab.

As for the technoloically ignorant, they won't know the difference anyway. This is exactly the type of person it can give some help to. Maybe next they'll spell the site right.

SilverSurfer1

said by Jodokast96:

So tell me then, what the effect is?

Clearly, you don't see any big deal about a DNS redirect and bury your head in the sand accordingly, but I'm wondering what other seemingly innoucuous avenue ripe for a "money grab" will the provider take next.

S_engineer
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL
Agreed, the "honor" system providers once semi-adhered to with the networks is out the window. They will bring net-neutrality regs upon themselves. Then everyone will lose.... except of course the CEOs ...and Haliburton!
--
Where have the adults gone?

SilverSurfer1

said by S_engineer:

They will bring net-neutrality regs upon themselves. Then everyone will lose.... except of course the CEOs ...and Haliburton!
NN will benefit anyone with an Internet connection. In fact, every org across the spectrum is on board with NN. I'm not sure where Halliburton comes into play in the NN discussion unless they have become a provider.

massysett

join:2006-01-04
Silver Spring, MD
reply to SilverSurfer1
said by Jodokast96:

But what about the (as someone else put it) technologically ignorant?
The technologically ignorant won't care. They might even find this useful. The technologically sophisticated, who want a "clean net" or whatever, can opt out or use different DNS servers.

Bunch of hoopla over nothing.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
Erial, NJ

1 edit
You could at least quote the right person.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
reply to massysett
I agree. For most people a page like that is far more useful than a cryptic "Page cannot be displayed" or "DNS error". It isn't like they are redirecting legitimate addresses to their own servers.

Jeff_Dallas

join:2007-11-05
Yes, they are. Thats the part that bothers me. I am randomly getting their site on properly-formed addresses that obviously exits like www.google.com