spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Deluxe05
join:2007-10-30
Aurora, CO

1 recommendation

Deluxe05

Comcast, Sandvine, and the latest WoW patch (v2.3.0)

The new WoW patch (v2.3.0) was released for download. "Cool," I think to myself, as I watch the little WoW Downloader settle down for what would be a VERY long stay in my system tray. Over the course of Saturday & Sunday, in a time frame exceeding 30 hours, I anxiously watched the WoW Downloader struggle to download the roughly 235MB patch. All because Blizzard opted to use BitTorrent for getting these patches out to the masses.

I could watch half a dozen new connections be made on the 'Connection Info' page of the WoW Downloader. I could then watch as Sandvine took down each & every one of these new connections within a matter of seconds. And, beings that not uploading equates to severely crippled downloading in the BitTorrent world, I could watch my download all but die off.

Over 30 hours to download something that only took maybe 10-20 minutes a couple months ago. Thanks. (Note: sarcasm)

With over 9 million World of Warcraft players and over 9 million Comcast cable modem subscribers. I really wonder how many customers of the first are customers of the second? Seems like a good way to irritate a whole lot of folks.
lmcoll955
join:2002-01-29
Conyers, GA

lmcoll955

Welcome to the club. I download Linux distros and updates and its extremely lame. I was never a big fan of p2p anyway, but we just need more competition in HSI.

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

MalibuMaxx to Deluxe05

Premium Member

to Deluxe05
I play EQ2... and yes i know its an old game... but anyway it takes about 12-13 hours (would est. about a gig) to download all the patches... I hate to see what will happen when i download all the expansions and updates for them next week.

I dont care for WOW for just that reason and a bunch more.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

said by MalibuMaxx:

I play EQ2... and yes i know its an old game... but anyway it takes about 12-13 hours (would est. about a gig) to download all the patches... I hate to see what will happen when i download all the expansions and updates for them next week.

I dont care for WOW for just that reason and a bunch more.
EQ2's patcher runs a diff against all files in the program directory and then downloads what it needs via HTTP. That really doesn't apply here.

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

MalibuMaxx

Premium Member

I realize that i was just using it to say that WOW is a boat load of hooplah and they should offer a service simialar if im going to pay for a subscription... lol
u3912974
join:2007-07-31
San Francisco, CA

1 recommendation

u3912974 to Deluxe05

to Deluxe05
they should have made ftp/http avaialable. they need to rethink their way

AthlGrond
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

AthlGrond to Deluxe05

Premium Member

to Deluxe05
Sorry you are having problems.

You (the customer) are caught between Comcast's cheapness with their internet service, and Blizzard's cheapness in their refusal to host their own patches.

Side note:
If you have Comcast's "Performance Plus" (8M/756K) package you do get a free membership with File Planet which would allow you to download the patches that way.
Deluxe05
join:2007-10-30
Aurora, CO

Deluxe05

I know that the patch is up & available on several file sharing sites (like the aforementioned File Planet). You know that it is out there. But we are talking about an MMORPG that has redefined "subscriber base." It is only natural that there are going to be a large number of folks that are not as technically savvy or aware.

As such, I stubbornly (or was it foolishly?) stuck to my guns & let the WoW Downloader do its job. After all, that was more representative of the average Joe's/Jane's customer experience.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to Deluxe05

MVM

to Deluxe05
Blizzard's native BitTorrent patcher actually has a seed that's HTTP-based. I believe it's used as a "last resort" sort of thing, but it shows up in the Connection Info tab.

And yes, I am VERY well-aware that HTTP is not BitTorrent, but it appears their client has support for two transport protocols.

DaEnigma
join:2004-11-26
Troutdale, OR

DaEnigma to Deluxe05

to Deluxe05
I have been having the same issue with WOW.

Madcap
Baby's on Fire
Premium Member
join:2004-06-26
Fpo, AP

Madcap to Deluxe05

Premium Member

to Deluxe05
Filefront. Learn it, Love it. I had to ditch the wow patcher because it's so slow for us. FileFront however is speedy with the patch and it's a straight http download.

RobinM
Premium Member
join:2001-10-24
Lupton City, TN

RobinM to Deluxe05

Premium Member

to Deluxe05
Ok I just started WoW and still have not seen any attempt to download this patch. Is it supposed to start when you start WoW? Or are we supposed to go somewhere and get it?

AthlGrond
Premium Member
Aurora, CO

1 edit

AthlGrond

Premium Member

If you installed the game using the defaults I think it's supposed to automatically download in the background while you are playing the game.

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

Yea, I've downloaded other patches and usually there is a little either box that pops up, or in my taskbar it shows up. Neither on is happening. How else could I find out if it is downloading?

AthlGrond
Premium Member
Aurora, CO

AthlGrond

Premium Member

When you start the game does it say that the new patch data is available for download, or that it has downloaded? (Is it possible that it has already downloaded and you just missed seeing it download?)

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

Nope, nothing. Game starts as usual. When did it come out? I guess it's possible as I usually play late at night/early mornings (read: 12-3am) But I would think I would notice a new icon in my taskbar, or a popup telling me a download is commencing.

AthlGrond
Premium Member
Aurora, CO

AthlGrond

Premium Member

said by RobinM:

When did it come out?
IIRC about the middle of last week. (I was thinking that Tuesday was going to be the patch day, but looks like they put it off till next week.)

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

Ok, well since then I have gotten a VERY small download. I do remember that. But from all the hype I would think this new patch would be a lot bigger than the little one I got last week. From what I read, the little one was just a beginning chunk to lighten the load on actual download day.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to Deluxe05

to Deluxe05
This discussion belongs here, please ---> »Comcast is using Sandvine to manage P2P Connections