Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Conficio

join:2004-06-18
Melrose, MA

It's not the users, but the programmers and service provider

While the majority of users aren't bothered by them, many users believe they "break" core Internet functionality -- causing errors in useful network monitoring tools that require a "clean" 'net.
As sooo many commentators here mentioned, most users do not recognize the difference. But it is the programmers that are upset about tinkering with established protocols, such as DNS. Their programs might fail. The same is true for service providers. If your customer can't find a website, because (s)he did mistype the domain, than it is your problem, and you might not even be aware of it. Isn't that about what the RICO law (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra ··· ns_Act)? Isn't that interfering with other people's commerce?

If you want this gone, call Verizon support as often as you can and complain that they block the website you want to reach (mistyped off course). Once they realize this foolish breaking the DNS protocol, costs them more in support requests than they gain in ad revenue, they'll stop it. Assuming they even make the connection.

Jeff_Dallas

join:2007-11-05

1 edit
said by Conficio:

call Verizon support as often as you can and complain that they block the website you want to reach (mistyped off course).
NOT Mistyped.
You're wrong on that. This redirect is happening most often when the website is typed _CORRECTLY_. Thats my big problem with it. I'm frequently clicking internal links within a web page and being redirected to the Verizion Web Search page. The links and addresses are correct. Its an error by Verizon DNS that sends me to their websearch page.

Is this spelled correctly? www.google.com

Then why does it randomly send me to Verizon websearch? That's the big issue. I'm being redirected when there is no error on my end.