join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

1 recommendation

Combat Chuck to nixen

Premium Member

to nixen

Re: Bad juju

said by nixen:

If they're trying these "services" as something "optional" now, it's only a matter of time until they aren't an option.
Please!!! The problem with the slippery slope argument is it can validly be taken all the way back to the other end of ridiculousness. If this is an issue because it leads to forced redirects then you know what, lets go all the way back and say it's bad for Verizon to offer internet service at all because if they're offering internet service now it's only a matter of time until they force redirect DNS requests to their servers.

Or we could, you know, wait for them to actually force redirects before accusing them of doing it.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

Thank you!

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

nixen to Combat Chuck

Premium Member

to Combat Chuck
said by Combat Chuck:
said by nixen:

If they're trying these "services" as something "optional" now, it's only a matter of time until they aren't an option.
Please!!! The problem with the slippery slope argument is it can validly be taken all the way back to the other end of ridiculousness. If this is an issue because it leads to forced redirects then you know what, lets go all the way back and say it's bad for Verizon to offer internet service at all because if they're offering internet service now it's only a matter of time until they force redirect DNS requests to their servers.

Or we could, you know, wait for them to actually force redirects before accusing them of doing it.
I've worked for Verizon (and MCI and Bell Atlantic). Unfortunately, I can tell you, it's not like the PHB's didn't periodically ask whether such redirection could be done.

But, hey, keep on thinking that the guys in the suits are "on your side".

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
Verona, PA

1 recommendation

Combat Chuck

Premium Member

said by nixen:

I've worked for Verizon (and MCI and Bell Atlantic). Unfortunately, I can tell you, it's not like the PHB's didn't periodically ask whether such redirection could be done.

But, hey, keep on thinking that the guys in the suits are "on your side".
Did I say they were on my side, no. What I'm saying is the slippery slope argument is a stupid argument that is turned to when one wants to vilify anything. This is a non issue, should they start redirecting all DNS traffic to their servers, that is a separate issue. Quite frankly for any valid reason you can come up with pointing to this being a problem, I can come up with a valid reason why Verizon would see this as a useful to their customers; the fact that the bad domain error message most browsers throw up is somewhat confusing and likely results in a significant number of support calls incorrectly thinking it's a Verizon problem being just one of them.

The issue is that the majority of the people here will suspend all logic to take whatever opinion it is that makes any large company look bad.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

nixen

Premium Member

said by Combat Chuck:

Quite frankly for any valid reason you can come up with pointing to this being a problem, I can come up with a valid reason why Verizon would see this as a useful to their customers; the fact that the bad domain error message most browsers throw up is somewhat confusing and likely results in a significant number of support calls incorrectly thinking it's a Verizon problem being just one of them.
In all my years of working for ISPs, and that's a LOT of years, I don't think I've ever personally received a call from someone because they typo-ed. As stupid as some users are, and there are some real clue-children out there, typographical errors don't seem to result in support tickets. Who knows, maybe it's just because they're just too stupid to figure out how to get ahold of support, too. Whatever.
said by Combat Chuck:

The issue is that the majority of the people here will suspend all logic to take whatever opinion it is that makes any large company look bad.
True enough. I can admit to having observed that. I can also admit to having observed that there are those that will do the same but for the other half of the argument. That said, my particular beef comes from what I've observed having worked Verizon and for the various companies that now make up Verizon. In other words, I'm familiar with the mindset of the company - and it is a long-standing corporate mind-set.

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
Verona, PA

Combat Chuck

Premium Member

said by nixen:

That said, my particular beef comes from what I've observed having worked Verizon and for the various companies that now make up Verizon. In other words, I'm familiar with the mindset of the company - and it is a long-standing corporate mind-set.
I think you'd be surprised to find out that this same mindset exists at pretty much every large company, and the only difference between them is the number of people who stand in the way of stupid ideas; it's a balance of power thing.

If you're a higher up at Verizon and are uncomfortable with this are you gonna spend your clout on this small by-passable issue or are you going to save it till they do do something like forcing people to their DNS servers.