uniqs
share rss forum feed

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
join:2003-08-20
Aurora, CO

[DIRECTV] DTV Retention Dept. made me an offer I couldn't refuse

We have been DTV customers for almost 10 years. We own all our equipment. Last January we took advantage of Comcast's "triple play" deal, but left DTV in tact on one TV since we were obligated to fulfill our 2 year contract without getting penalized.

Our contract with DTV is up on 12/9/07. I called them this morn and asked what all I needed to do in preparation for canceling their service. Honestly, I was not prepared for the deal they offered me. they asked why I was leaving and I stated, "frankly, I cannot afford your HD equipment, so we are switching to Comcast."

In order to stay with DTV, they offered me 2 HDDVR units (HR20 or HR21, they weren't sure which), and 1 standard HD receiver, $10 off my current package for a year (to offset the $10 HD increase), and waived our DVR service of $5.99 for one year. We do have to pay a one time $99 install fee to hookup all the new receivers, add a new drop in a room, plus upgrade our current dish to a newer one.

I was very impressed with this deal and decided to go with it. This will now save us about $50 per month for a comparable HD package with Comcast.

Anyway, I'll do some more research, but I sure hope DTV has improved their DRV service over what it used to be. We used to use the R15 receiver (I think) and not only was it cumbersome to use, it was not reliable by any means.

If you have any feedback, let me know.
--
"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."
»www.skullform.com

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1

Re: [DIRECTV] DTV Retention Dept. made me an offer I couldn't re

So you're dropping your Comcast cableTV, huh?

Don't forget to add $15.00 a month to your Comcast bill, since they charge a penalty if you don't subscribe to their cableTV.

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
said by newview:

So you're dropping your Comcast cableTV, huh?

Don't forget to add $15.00 a month to your Comcast bill, since they charge a penalty if you don't subscribe to their cableTV.
Actaully, we are dropping the entire Comcast "triple play". Qwest recently laid fiber in our neighborhood and the 7Mb is now available. We just ordered that and Qwest phone service again.

Looking forward to the new services and the savings. Will be saving us a total of $60 a month based on comparable Comcast services.
--
»www.skullform.com

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
said by evilpeppard:

Will be saving us a total of $60 a month based on comparable Comcast services.
Ain't competition grand?

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
said by newview:

said by evilpeppard:

Will be saving us a total of $60 a month based on comparable Comcast services.
Ain't competition grand?

Competition and technological advances (i.e. Qwest laying the fiber so I can get the 7Mb).

Horray for both!
--
»www.skullform.com

dishfish
Premium
join:2003-01-07
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to evilpeppard
Just got off the phone with the DirecTV retention department. They wanted to charge me $199 for HD DVR. I told them no way. So the guy said he'd give me a $240 credit. I said do it. I told them ATT was offering me 2 free DVRs. I enforced my case by telling the guy that look at the screen and he'll see I've been with them for over 10 years, since Jan 1996. After he saw that, he gave in.

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
said by dishfish:

Just got off the phone with the DirecTV retention department. They wanted to charge me $199 for HD DVR. I told them no way. So the guy said he'd give me a $240 credit. I said do it.
Good for you!

My install/upgrade went great. I got two brand new HR21's (HD/DVR) and one HR20 (HD only, no DVR). They replaced my old 18" dish, upgraded my in-house splitter and ran two extra cables from the new dish. It all works great and I get 98% signal on both tuners
--
»www.skullform.com

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:41

1 edit
reply to evilpeppard
Pretty good. I wonder if someone who didn't have cable could get that deal. The best I was able to do is get the HR21(or 20?), new dish, and free install for a $20 shipping charge. I have to pay regular prices for service. I don't like the new DVR service. It's confusing and certain features don't work. When pressing the "to do" buttons, it doesn't show anything is scheduled. I heard others had this problem but I don't feel like dealing with support just yet. Once my contract is up I'll look at DISH since this is costing me $76/mo.
--
RIP my baby Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07

np23

join:2005-10-28
united state
said by tim_k:

When pressing the "to do" buttons, it doesn't show anything is scheduled.
If it's right after you set up series links or after a reset, it hasn't had time to repopulate guide info. It'll record. What else is so confusing about the DVR? It's as good or better than all others in my opinion.

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
said by np23:

said by tim_k:

When pressing the "to do" buttons, it doesn't show anything is scheduled.
If it's right after you set up series links or after a reset, it hasn't had time to repopulate guide info. It'll record. What else is so confusing about the DVR? It's as good or better than all others in my opinion.
DTV's DVR service has come a long way since when it first came out. I have been an avid TiVo fan and was very reluctant to give it up. Comcast's DVR service was quite easy and better (IMO) than DTV's was in the beginning.

Now, DTV's has made many strides for the better and I like it just as I liked TiVo.

Incidentally, you can tell the difference easily between and HR20 and HR21. HR20 is silver, HR21 is black.
--
»www.skullform.com

GhostDoggy

join:2005-05-11
Duluth, GA
And the amusing part is that Comcast is going to be using TiVo soon--unless they've changed their minds.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:41
reply to evilpeppard
As luck would have it, the jobs are now listed in the "to do" list. I last checked it a couple weeks ago, but the wife said yesterday that they still weren't there. So much for taking the wifes word.

As for confusing, here is one example. Now that I was able to access the "to do" list, the wife wanted to cancel the recording of one show. The show had the double "R" symbol on it to record the series. From another menu, all you would have to do is hit the record button again while that show was highlighted to cancel it. When I did that, all I got was a invalid key pressed beep. So I hit the "enter" key to select that show to see if there was a delete option on the next menu page. There wasn't, so I clicked back to the "to do" list and found that the show was deleted. I have no idea how it got deleted though.

Another confusing thing is setting a program to record. From one menu you select the program and hit the record button. But, if you find the program during a search and highlight the program, if you then hit record, it will record the show that is currently playing. To record a show from the search menu, you have to select it and hit "enter". From that menu you select the recording option.

I don't watch TV very much so I haven't played with the DVR all that much. I'm getting tired of the wife's complaints. She wants me to activate the old Tivo DVR (R10) instead. I guess I'll have to play with it awhile to get it down so I can get her off my back.
--
RIP my baby Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07 Buttons, Buttons video

thomast7

join:2001-12-03
Broadview Heights, OH
Can someone give me the number to call for DirecTV retention department?

I'm stuck in H#LL here with DTV phone system...

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
IM sent.

e_dub
franknbeans
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-12
kickin ass
kudos:2
I'm stuck in the same boat as thomast, can someone give me the retention number?

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
kudos:2
Just ask to "cancel service" to the automated lady, that will get you to rententions - not sure on their operating hours.

But just be aware it's dependent on the CSR you get. The first one I called up simply asked what day to put the cancellation in for - just hang up and try again

thomast7

Broadview Heights, OH
reply to evilpeppard
Ok here is my update..

directv over 10 years, Called to get HDDVR upgrade, got rep down to $160 and he told me (more then once)that the price of the box would be put on my bill and spread out across payments.

They called to setup appt on Tuesday and when I asked the girl about spreading the payments out she said No that can't be done.. and then we got disconnected, No calls back from them that morning. I called when I got home from work that night and they said that it showed the rep tried to call back 2 times and the line was busy, (I have Voicemail No Busy Signal)

Well this rep said the same thing you can't spread out payments, So I told her to cancel the order because I was lied too. So she cancels teh order and then I tell her that I want to talk with a Supervisor, she tell me to hang on and guess what? We get disconnected.

So I call back and say Cancel Service, I get this nice girl in Alabama and she can see the run around I'm getting from the system.

I tell her what I want and she said she can do this for me, If I pay $19.95 she will give me the HDDVR and everything else, Well Ok I say..

It was installed today and Life is good again, Its just a shame that you have to go thru all this when you have been with a company for so long...

Thanks again for the help from this Forum...

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
Well, sorry for your troubles, but glad you got all hooked up finally.

I have had nothing but good experiences, so hopefully this was just a bad streak for you.
--
»www.skullform.com

thomast7

Broadview Heights, OH
I have had nothing but good luck with Directv but come on treat the loyal customers right, Why should I have to switch to get HD for free when you can do right and take care of loyal customers.