Joe, VE3IUW, Grimsby, Ontario.
JI592T
Premium Member
join:2014-12-07
Pahrump, NV

JI592T to drjim

Premium Member

to drjim
New to this , here's my call sign AD7QC.

Ham since 1987

Currently living in Pahrump, Nevada

73's
danelizer2
join:2007-07-31
Navarre, FL

danelizer2 to drjim

to drjim
Hello everyone.
W4DSL here.

John KC3EDF
@army.mil

John KC3EDF to drjim

Anon

to drjim
Just got my ticket in Delaware (Tech)

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Welcome AD7QC, W4DSL and KC3EDF.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG to drjim

Premium Member

to drjim
Well I've been around these forums for a while now but never introduced myself.

Name is Mikael my call is VE8MT, got my license in November of 2013. Passed both Basic and Advanced qualification exams the same day.

QTH: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada.

Have mostly been active on digital modes on the upper bands (20m to 10m). Plan to work some more SSB but I will have to setup portable outside of the city to get away from the QRM.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

Thanks for the info! Will look for you on SSB, or digital if I ever get that set up. Worked a fellow in Inuvik on 10M SSB the last time I had time for a contest. Will eventually be operating bicycle portable later this year.

-73 de AB1NH
radiogm1
join:2001-01-22
Jackson, TN

radiogm1 to drjim

to drjim
Good Afternoon !!! KG4DHQ

jweek
Premium Member
join:1999-08-27
Sparks, NV

jweek to drjim

Premium Member

to drjim
Hi,

N2JMW here.

73's,

John
MPSAN
join:2001-05-15
Portland, OR

MPSAN to DrStrange

to DrStrange
said by DrStrange:

Thanks for the info! Will look for you on SSB, or digital if I ever get that set up. Worked a fellow in Inuvik on 10M SSB the last time I had time for a contest. Will eventually be operating bicycle portable later this year.

-73 de AB1NH

WOW, AB1NH, you live a few blocks from where I hung out as a kid when I was K1NBW!!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

Never heard your call when I was a CBer lurking everywhere else from LW to UHF TV. I remember we had W1TEZ down the street and W1ANA [he worked for/with H. P. Maxim, but that was even longer ago] around the corner. I got a tour of his shack a few months before he became a SK.

Still need to get to work on the bicycles, but the radio, antennas and batteries are ready.
MPSAN
Portland, OR

MPSAN

said by DrStrange:

Never heard your call when I was a CBer lurking everywhere else from LW to UHF TV. I remember we had W1TEZ down the street and W1ANA [he worked for/with H. P. Maxim, but that was even longer ago] around the corner. I got a tour of his shack a few months before he became a SK.

Still need to get to work on the bicycles, but the radio, antennas and batteries are ready.

My best friend lived on Boulevard and was an avid cb'er, and I worked on/near Park! I was very active on 2m AM back then!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

OK. Now that I think of it, I didn't listen to 2M until the late 70s. If you were on before then, I missed it. I'm assuming one or more of 146.79 or 146.64 or 146.88 [these are all up and running, or running again in the case of .64]?

I bet I knew your friend if he was still operating in 1974 or afterwards.
MPSAN
Portland, OR

MPSAN

said by DrStrange:

OK. Now that I think of it, I didn't listen to 2M until the late 70s. If you were on before then, I missed it. I'm assuming one or more of 146.79 or 146.64 or 146.88 [these are all up and running, or running again in the case of .64]?

I bet I knew your friend if he was still operating in 1974 or afterwards.

Well, these were the days of AM and before repeaters...like Late 50's early 60's. Lots of activity on 145.35. BTW my friends dad was a newsman on CH 30 and Bob and I spent a lot of time there and watched Science Fiction Theater before they went on the air.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

That's before me. I guess I didn't know him. Had a buddy who was an intern for ch. 24 when they were still on Summit St. Spent a lot of time around there one summer. We operated bicycle-portable on CB for a few years before 11m seriously went downhill. Unlike me, he went and passed the code test and moved to 2m. I chickened out and kept lurking until I finally got around to testing in 2010. Took and passed all three tests at once and began making up for lost time.

Ch. 30 built a bigger building, but it's still in the same location [although they moved it back from the road a bit, so I'm not sure if it's in WH or Farmington now].

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Clive, IA

1 recommendation

Radio_Guy to drjim

Premium Member

to drjim
AD0OY checking in.

I have been involved in 2-way radio for some time now. Just recently got my license so I don't have much equipment yet. So far I have just been monitoring 2 meter repeaters in my area. I hope to expand into HF and using digital when the budget and time allows!

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Welcome Radio_Guy, enjoy the world of amateur radio.
HopelessCase
GM8VIW
Premium Member
join:2006-05-03
UK

HopelessCase to drjim

Premium Member

to drjim
GM8VIW
hwlinux
join:2011-01-19
Hudson, FL

hwlinux to drjim

to drjim
KB4GTR

N9ZN
Security Is A Community Effort
join:2001-03-29
Tampa, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

N9ZN to drjim

to drjim
Hello, just another highly disappointed wasted extra class call sign here. If it were not for all the restrictions on antennas I might go back at minimum to a bit of VHF/UHF traffic locally. HF is out of the picture entirely at my QTH since I refuse to sit in a vehicle to talk on a radio, attempting tapping on a key is out of consideration while mobile and I rarely drive since I am retired. Thoughts of Internet HF seems a mere complication of talking on the internet via a chat room where the audio excels.

Upside to the hobby, Learning Morse Code, studying for the exams, building several antennas, satellite communications, electronics aspects of the hobby and taking the exams to get to Extra Class were all fun. It is nice to have a radio in the event of personal emergency and local VHF/UHF coverage was impressive due mainly to a few excellent repeater sites near my location. In fairness I will say there are a few hams in the area worth talking with, especially nice people who have their noses at a nice 90 degrees to zero and who are not under self isolation within a super click of their own. The handfuls of HAMS who devote their energy to emergency and disaster aid, MARS affiliation and those who provide assistance to operators who need mentoring while coming up to speed in the hobby are all admired.

Downside to the hobby, far too much squabbling over anything radio related. Too many hams in the area act as if they are the only master ham in town, a master ham is someone who has been a ham for a long time, has an established group of other has been buddies and who felt invaded by new operators who were ruining their hobby. Politics in a hobby, you have got to be kidding me, it's JUST A HOBBY! Why so many of those holding licenses act as if the hobby is being ruined because another person got interested in Amateur radio as a hobby evades reason? I dropped out of all safety related programs in the Tampa area, none of them are worth the non since of dealing with the political hierarchy, and I also dropped off the air. Obviously there are plenty of Extra Class Hams in Tampa as is, for that matter plenty of Hams regardless of license class.

Far-Outside to the hobby, learning many of those grumpy old timers were Technicians Class repeater groupies who defined old timer as one who has been on the air for more than a week and wished the repeater was a private group affair, beer included.

Conclusion, this is a good hobby, be prepared to look past those who believe (or act as if) frequencies belong to them. So many opportunities exist within Ham radio that nearly anyone can find a place where their interest will merge superbly within a subset of Amateur Radio. Although I am disappointed in antenna restrictions and some on air operators it is not enough to say the hobby is less than a great way to learn new things you will enjoy and aid humanity when it is most needed.

That's how it is in MYVILLE and most likely how it is in YOURVILLE! Stick to what you like, ignore the misfits and put your time and talents into making the hobby a better place for all to enjoy.

73's de N9ZN

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

DrStrange

Premium Member

We had a political hierarchy like that in one of our local local clubs. They were running the club into the ground. We got rid of them and now we run the club without the politics.

N9ZN
Security Is A Community Effort
join:2001-03-29
Tampa, FL

1 edit

4 recommendations

N9ZN

said by DrStrange:

We had a political hierarchy like that in one of our local local clubs. They were running the club into the ground. We got rid of them and now we run the club without the politics.

Reflecting on Elder (or long established) Hams I can understand why many feel as they do and they have validity to their feelings. Many came into the hobby at a time when tickets were hard to acquire, those preparing for the test had to learn electronics, radio theory, signal propagation and F.C.C. regulations. Test were of an essay nature and not multiple choice, there were no study guides with specific questions and no set of correct and incorrect answers to memorize. It took dedication and hard work to get their tickets.

There is little contrast to those Hams and many of today's Hams who pick up a study guide, read it once and go pass the Extra Class or General exam the following day. Highly motivated 5th grade students can pass exams today because it is a test of memory rather than absorbed knowledge. None of us should assume those who came into the hobby this way are less intelligent or dedicated than those who came in the more difficult way.

Finding a suitable balance of recognition for accomplishments is key to establishing and maintaining comradery between established long term ticket holders and recent licensees. A comradery that embellishes pools of acquired knowledge while providing for shared learning, for those desiring to advance knowledge, is essential to growth of individual and group. This is often the path to acceptance within the group of long term hams, it provides a relationship for new Hams and recognizes accomplishments of long term hams while they mentor the newer Hams.

Keeping like minded individuals satisfied often requires their involvement in smaller focus groups they identify with and that support the overall mission of the larger organization. This is good for long term Hams as well as new licensees.

Those who oppose comradery become the misfits and are commonly the instigators of segregation within organizations. No one will oppose comradery if they fit well. Often those members only need something to do that they enjoy and brings pride after accomplishment. It is the last thing I know of that may correct a conflict and the misfits can be included in developing a solution for them.

One observation I think I made is a realization that some of the newly licensed Hams find themselves unknowingly in a club or other group of Hams who are technically advanced far beyond what new Hams expected to encounter when they joined the hobby. That can make anyone uncomfortable and new Hams may not have the time or interest to come up to that level of knowledge.

It sounds like you did all those things and had one reasonable alternative left. Unfortunately losing a member now and then results in growth and happiness afterward for the club and often for the individual the club lost.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

DrStrange

Premium Member

Right on the mark.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat

1 recommendation

Jason to drjim

to drjim
Since I no longer live at the address on file, I'm finally happy to say, KK6SFZ!

Still plugging away at learning my code (lcwo.com)

I'm a general, and I can agree with above posters.. It was too easy to get this federally enforced license, in my opinion. That said, it is fun to chat with people around the world, and play with antennae, and radios.

Certain people can get easy licenses and screw around for a while, but if we hold to our general QRM protocol, they generally loose interest quickly.
WB3FFV
join:2001-12-11
Abingdon, MD

WB3FFV to drjim

to drjim
WB3FFV

DX-Cluster at: dxc.wb3ffv.us on port 7300
brianb1224
join:2008-03-23
New Orleans, LA

brianb1224 to drjim

to drjim