koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

Boycott.

Someone needs to form an organisation and start boycotting this crap. None of the jhonkas in upper management are aware of how DNS works, and how services/protocols rely on it -- thus, are completely unaware of how garbage like this causes massive havoc.

It needs to end.

DotMac4
Shill H8r
Premium Member
join:2007-10-26
Huntington Beach, CA

DotMac4

Premium Member

While I did drop CATV/DBS after the latest round of price increases in my area my choice is Time Warner (which I currently use) and Verizon FiOS. Both providers use redirection.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu
Boycott by using different DNS servers. Nothing much else to do really except cancel your service altogether.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

Boycott by using different DNS servers. Nothing much else to do really except cancel your service altogether.
Do you think they will care, or even notice, if you stop using their DNS servers?

Tim
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

No, but I'm not sure what else you'd propose for a "boycott" besides canceling service, which I also mentioned.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

timcuth

Premium Member

I understand, but a boycott is only a boycott if it exerts some motivational pressure on the business being boycotted. Usually in the form of loss of revenue.

Tim
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

But people aren't going to cancel their service. Instead, they'll complain and continue paying their money like good little sheep.

Sr Tech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Meriden, CT

Sr Tech

Premium Member

Only a true boycott would be in the masses, I would love to see a town or an entire state boycott a company. Watch what would happen...
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

There would need to be a fairly significant event to drive that magnitude of a boycott....DNS redirection isn't it.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to openbox9

to openbox9
Just what I predicted above.
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to openbox9

to openbox9
Well, here I agree with you. It's going to be the same thing when gas prices go to $10 a gallon. We'll complain all the way to the pump. Kind of scary when society depends on something and then the price gets "jacked up", or the provider starts screwing with the service. This is why we need real choice & competition instead of all these oligopolies...