Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Moonlight_x

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to ossito16

Re: Cancel my service, Please.

said by ossito16:

I understand what you are saying, but the problem is that 98% is not the average user. If a paltry 2% of users are using P2P applications, streaming video/music, & online gaming and it degrades your giant network then you need to expand it. These telecom/cable isp's are providing bare minimum capacity with the hope that people will not actually use their service to its full "described" potential.
If ISPs had to buy enough capacity to guarantee that all users could simultaneously use the full advertised speed, internet access would cost around $7 per Mbps... Bell's 16Mbps service would need to cost over $150/month instead of the current $75/month.

The low costs we see from most ADSL providers ($30 to $40 for unlimited) rely heavily on the assumption of intermittent usage. As ISPs get infested by heavy users on low-cost unlimited plans, unlimited plans will either disappear or get marked up to compensate - this is exactly what TSI did two days ago after noticing the Unlimited average shooting up 60% over little more than a month, presumably in large part thanks to ex-Videotronites and October's 100GB/month cap.

Another issue with capacity is that in order to deliver consistently low latencies and reliable service, the external links actually need to have significant overcapacity to keep traffic queues short on all links at all times and provide headroom for fail-over.

There are very real costs to bandwidth and they do not go much below $0.04/GB in North America for the cheapest complete solutions.

Bell and Videotron are clearly overcharging for the caps they have regardless of speeds... but the burden is very real for the smaller ISPs who compete on price with the rest like TSI.

ossito16

join:2004-07-31
Whiting, IN
said by Moonlight_x :

If ISPs had to buy enough capacity to guarantee that all users could simultaneously use the full advertised speed, internet access would cost around $7 per Mbps... Bell's 16Mbps service would need to cost over $150/month instead of the current $75/month.....
Thank you very much, you have provided me with a clearer picture. I guess what I am asking for is to hear this explanation from the companies themselves instead of the double talk they give to us. I admit that 150-250gb caps are reasonable even for a online P2P/game user.

Moonlight_x

@mc.videotron.ca
said by ossito16:

I guess what I am asking for is to hear this explanation from the companies themselves instead of the double talk they give to us. I admit that 150-250gb caps are reasonable even for a online P2P/game user.
The ISPs' hidden caps and various undisclosed practices are indeed annoying and the way many try to cover the facts is insulting/frustrating. The combination of total lack of transparency, overpriced plans, overpriced overage, sub-par customer and technical support do make dealing with most major ISPs a PITA.

Those are all reasons why I plan to go with TSI near the end of my current internet contract... $30/200GB/month is much better than anything Bell and Videotron have to offer for a moderate downloader like me.